Home My YFS

Steins Thistle grab late winner against Johnstone Burgh

Written by  Steins Thistle


Johnstone Burgh
Steins Thistle
Under 21's WOSFL
10 January 2015
On a day when the wind, rain, sleet and snow were coming in sideways it was a surprise that this game went ahead. 
The next surprise was the pace and intensity Steins started the game with. 
Steins took the lead after fifteen mins when the hard working Scott Brown squared the ball for Dominic McGrandles who placed a right foot shot into the net. 
Steins were then forced to make a change after twenty minutes when Alan Paterson was replaced by Scott Watson. 
Only a few minutes after coming on Watson played a lovely pass through the defence and Brown rounded the keeper to make it 2-0. 
Burgh then made a change of their own and tried to stop Steins playing through the middle to great effect. 
Steins were now finding it hard to get out of their own half although some hard work and good defending limited Johnstone Burgh to a couple of tame long distance efforts. 
Steins could have made it three just before half time when Calum Penman found Brown on the counter attack but the Johnstone Burgh keeper made a good save to keep the score at the interval.
Half Time : Johnstone Burgh 0-2 Steins Thistle
Burgh started the second half as they finished the first pushing Steins back but not troubling McGuinness in the Steins goal. 
Steins had a good chance on sixty five minutes when Penman found himself clear on the counter attack but the Burgh keeper again kept his team in the game. 
Burgh then pulled a goal back on the seventieth minute. A well worked move so them take a throw in level with their own eighteen yard line and pass their way through the Steins defence and finish well into the keepers bottom right. 
Steins lifted their game after this and on eighty minutes were denied a penalty. Watson ran through midfield into the penalty area and was clearly fouled by the Burgh full back that was chasing him but the ref waved play on. 
As the commotion was still going on regarding the penalty appeal Steins keeper McGuinness was unlucky when the Johnstone Burgh striker nicked the ball off him when he tried to round the striker and gladly slotted the ball into the empty net
Steins showed great team spirit and went for a third and with five mins remaining they got it. A corner from Ryan Leary was cleared back out to him and he delivered a great cross that Gerry Gillfilan headed into the net. Steins saw out the remaining few minutes for a well earned 3 points. 
Full Time : Johnstone Burgh 2-3 Steins Thistle
Login to post comments