Home My YFS

Bonnyton Thistle defeated in friendly against national amateur champions Hurlford Thistle

Written by 


Bonnyton Thistle
Hurlford Thistle
Friendly U19's v Amateur
04 January 2015
Bonnyton Thistle Under 19's met Hurlford Thistle amateurs at Loudoun Academy this weekend in a winter friendly, with the youngsters being on the end of a narrow 2-1 defeat.
The mid-season break provided an opportunity for both teams to test themselves against decent opposition. Bonnyton won the Paisley and Johnstone District league last year and also still had Andy Hunter remaining from their back-to-back Scottish Cup triumphs in 2012 and 2013.
Hurlford won the Scottish Amateur Cup last season and also featured a few ex Bonnyton players, which helped to add a personal touch of sparkle and fire to the occasion.
Two goals in the first half were enough to distance Hurlford from an impressive second half performance from the youngsters with Bonnyton's goal coming from Roy Barr.
The game kicked off at 12.30 following a night of wind and rain that couldn't tarnish the synthetic surface at Loudoun Academy.
There were few chances of note in the opening exchanges but in the tenth minute Stevie McCarrison managed to nip in behind the Hurlford defence a couple of yards inside the penalty area to beat the offside trap and latch onto a neat through ball. The striker took a touch to the on-rushing keeper's left but was unable to clear the reach of his arms as he smothered the ball from his feet.
Hurlford held most of the possession for the first half but in the 16th minute Bonnyon had another chance to go ahead. Good work from Kerr Samson in the defensive third resulted in him winning the ball and bursting down the right wing at pace. He kept his head up and pushed the ball inside to McCarrison who skilfully jerked inside the centre half just outside the box but his left footed shot from 18 yards was straight at the keeper.
Hurlford took control in front of goal form then on until the half time whistle. 
Five minutes after McCarrison's effort the Scottish Cup winners took the lead when they pounced on a mistake in the Bonnyton defence and the striker duly slotted home from inside the box with composure.
It should have been 2-0 two minutes later after Hurlford worked the ball down the left and swung a cross over to the middle of the penalty area. Unfortunately for ex Bonnyton forward Greig Mitchell, he skewed his shot wide this time.
Ten minutes after that chance however and with half time approaching, Hurlford won a free kick on the edge of the box. One swift swing of a leg later and the ball flew into the bottom corner.
That was the last notable action of the first half as things came to a close just over ten minutes after the goal.
Half Time : Bonnyton Thistle 0-2 Hurlford Thistle
Bonnyton came out in the second half upbeat despite the score and capitalised on Hurlford not using the ball as well as they did in the first period. Substitutes Declan Adam, Kris Chisholm, Andy Hunter and Roy Barr in particular introduced an edge into the game and pace on the ball in the opponents' half.
Chisholm got involved from midfield often and he was soon the man to create Bonnyton's best chance of the game. On 53 minutes the midfielder clipped the ball to the back post with his left foot from the edge of the area as Samson darted in from the right. Unfortunately the midfielder's diving header squirmed wide of the post and the scored remained 2-0.
Just after the hour mark, Chisholm and the other subs combined to give Bonnyton a route back into the game. Lee Williamson played the ball to Adam from the right hand side, midway inside the Hurlford half. Adam moved it inside to Chisholm who played a diagonal ball into the corner for the speeding Hunter. Hunter just managed to keep the ball in and cross it over, reaching Barr at the fornt post. The centre forward held off his marker and in a quick pivot managed to direct the ball with his right foot into the bottom corner, across the keeper.
As we crossed into the last 20 minutes chances became few and far between with tackles flying in from both sides and tensions certainly rising. Barr came the closest for Thistle with just over ten minutes to go when he cut inside a defender on the edge of the box but the keeper made a fantastic save to his left.
Both teams pushed back and forth but created little of note in the closing stages and the game finished 2-1.
Bonnyton 19's manager Ian Higgins said his team were much better in the second half and seemed content with the display.
Full Time : Bonnyton Thistle 1-2 Hurlford Thistle
Login to post comments