Home My YFS

Points are shared between the Giffnock sides

Written by  Giffnock SC Reds


Giffnock SC Reds
Giffnock SC
Under 13's PJDYFL Division 1
07 December 2014
More than anything this match showed what a good year 2002 has proved to be for Giffnock SC. Both teams showed great spirit, fantastic endeavour and no little skill either on a soft but generally good Norwood pitch.
The match was vital to both teams, GSC keen to get back to winning ways and their challenge for the title, the Reds to build on two good victories and continue their push up the league. The match started at a frenetic pace and an early tackle from Declan on Chris S let GSC know they weren’t going to have it their own way. GSC were missing their captain & talisman Tunn, but still had bags of quality through the team.
The Reds could have taken an early lead when Scott F latched on to a long clearance and rounded the keeper but he had to shoot from an acute angle and found the side-netting. Two minutes later Scott got round Daniel again but his shot was cleared off the line.
Giffnock were stung into action and pushed forward but they got little change out of a strong back four of Louis, Tanashe, Dom & Ross. Chris S won a couple of crunching tackles in midfield though and from the second they broke forward and won a corner on 10 minutes. Though Ross made a great goal line clearance from the kick, Chris Smith reacted quickly and headed the ball into the top corner to give GSC the lead, 0-1.
The Reds were undaunted though and some neat interplay down the right touchline by Louis & Scott M saw Scott pass to Andy who in turn fed Matty and he flicked the ball past Daniel S in the away goal to level the score, 1-1.
Two minutes later Daniel made a rare error and passed the ball straight to Scott F who controlled it and curled it past the keeper to give the Reds a 2-1 lead.
The Reds were dominating at this stage and David in the Reds goal had scarcely been troubled.
The Reds kept finding gaps in the visitors’ defences and Matty broke loose and went round an exposed Daniel who by now had more people going round him than the helter-skelter in George Square, but the GSC defence cleared the danger. Matty suffered a strain and was replaced by Con in left midfield.
Five minutes from half time a good move from GSC down the right saw Max cut in from the touchline and fire a fierce shot which, though David got a hand to it, crashed into the net via the underside of the bar for a fine equaliser 2-2.
Both teams were relieved when the whistle went to end a frenetic first half.
Half Time : Giffnock SC Reds 2-2 Giffnock SC
There were changes on both sides at half time, Harry & Robert coming on for the Reds. Joe Adair’s appearance on the left gave GSC a new lease of life and his pace & skill gave Louis & Scott M fresh problems to counter. That they did so is a credit to their concentration and tenacity, whilst Dom & Ross held firm in defence.
Had Barry Hearn hung around in Glasgow for a few more days he would have admired the fascinating but fair battle between Tanashe & Chris S who traded tackles like a couple of Hearn’s former charges.
The territorial possession was slowly edging in GSC’s favour as they turned the screw and they won 3 free kicks in dangerous areas, though two of the awards were decidedly soft. Harry was equal to anything that was thrown at him though, handling crosses & shots with ease, and making one tremendous point blank save from Matthew.
It wasn’t all one way though and a great flick from Con put Robert through one on one with the keeper. Daniel tapped his ankles and though Robert stayed on his feet and went round him the defence got back in time to block the shot.
GSC pushed forward though and Joe made two dangerous runs into the box but on each occasion Dom sensed the danger and pushed him wide.
The Reds kept their composure and concentration and stood toe to toe with their illustrious opponents as time ebbed away. For all their pressure, GSC created very few clear cut chances in the 2nd half.
As the referee blew for full time, it was noticeable that there was disappointment amongst both teams – a mark of how far the Reds have come this season.
And in the wider context, considering just a year ago no one on the pitch was playing eleven a side, the quality and intensity of the match was a tribute to them, their coaches and the club.
Full Time : Giffnock SC Reds 2-2 Giffnock SC
Login to post comments