Print this page

Glenvale beat Giffnock in exciting top of the table clash

Written by  Glenvale AFC


Glenvale AFC
Giffnock SC
Under 13's PJDYFL Division 1
Ferguslie Park
22 November 2014
After a night of heavy rain Glenvale welcomed Giffnock to a top of the table clash in Paisley. On paper, this was set to be a very tight game with boys teams going into the game having won their last ten league games and progressing to the last sixteen of the Scottish Cup. However the condition of the pitch was not favourable and this became evident throughout the game.
The first ten minutes were scrappy, with both team's trying to play a passing game. Glenvale were the first to get on the score sheet. The Giffnock keeper attempted a clearance that fell short to Gregor McFadzean. Gregor side stepped the advancing defender and tried his luck from distance. This effort was blocked and the ball fell nicely to Liam Houston who smashed the ball against the cross bar. The ball bounced in the box and Sam Walters was well placed to tap the ball into the net from close range.
Giffnock immediately pressed for an equaliser and it was not long in coming. Some clever play inside the box created an opportunity to shoot. This was clinically finished from a tight angle leaving Aidan helpless in the Glenvale goal.
The rest of the half was played out in the middle of the pitch. Sean Borland, Gregor McFadzean and David McNair put in a considerable shift in an attempt to create opportunities as well as stop Giffnock in their tracks.
Half Time : Glenvale AFC 1-1 Giffnock SC
As the second have started it was clear that Glenvale wanted the win more. The pressed Giffnock into their own half and created opportunities around the box. After a spell of continued pressing Glenvale took the lead. After some strong Giffnock defending the ball broke to Andrew McColl on the edge of the box. Spotting the keeper off the line McColl looked up and placed an accurate shot into the top right of the goal.
Glenvale looked to build on this goal and continued to create more chances. Aidan McLaughlin and Kyle McLachlin were finding more space in the wide positions and this was causing  Giffnock concerns. Glenvale won a corner and Declan Curran fired in an accurate cross. Liam McMenemy rose above the defenders to head the ball into the net.
With ten minutes remaining Giffnock took the initiative and pressed hard to get back into the game. The Glenvale defence stood up to the challenge until Giffnock won a corner. The ball was crossed in at pace and found a team mate at the back post. It was 3-2.
The last 5 minutes required the upmost concentration from Glenvale as Giffnock looked for an equaliser. When the final whistle went the boys cheered. Glenvale maintained their 100% start to the season an picked up three valuable points. It was a gutsy team performance against a very good Giffnock team. Glenvale can now focus on the last 16 of the Scottish Cup against Aidrie on saturday with a 1.15pm kick off at Ferguslie on the astro.
coaches David Borland and Barry McLaughlin were delighted with the spirit the team showed.
Full Time : Glenvale AFC 3-2 Giffnock SC

Related items

Login to post comments