Home My YFS

Giffnock beat Pollok in eight goal encounter

Written by 


Giffnock SC Red
Pollok United Soccer Academy
Under 13's PJDYFL Divison 1
24 November 2014
They say winning can become a habit and let’s hope so for the Giffnock SC Reds who recorded a second straight win with a very good team performance against Pollok that this is true.
After a very positive start, a slack back-pass allowed the away team to take the lead, their centre finishing well. 
But Giffnock hit back when Ross played Robert through who cleverly lobbed the keeper for 1-1.
That goal inspired Giffnock and shortly afterwards Callum broke into the area and was brought down for a clear penalty. He took the kick himself and slotted it into the bottom left hand corner to give the Giffnock the lead, 2-1.
Scott McL picked up a loose ball and from his excellent cross Callum scored with a diving header to make it 3-1 to Giffnock.
The four goal of the match ended the first half's scoring as the sides went into half time.
Half Time : Giffnock SC Red 3-1 Pollok United Soccer Academy 
The next goal was going to be vital – another goal for Pollok might have sown seeds of doubt. But Giffnock restarted in determined mood and, as before, substitutions proved to be inspired with Sean & Andy coming on. 
Sean helped himself to two quick goals, as Giffnock played the ball on the deck, in wet and windy conditions. If the first was straightforward, the second goal was a great right-footed free kick from the edge of the area which the keeper got a hand to but only helped into the roof of the net as the score went to 5-1.
After that, the intensity died down and understandably Giffnock switched off a bit. First they conceded a soft free kick on the edge of their own area, and then the Pollok number 15’s dipping shot was only spooned up by Harry and ended in the net to make the score 5-2.
Scott F then made a welcome return six weeks after breaking his collarbone and slotted easily into the midfield with Callum, Andy Declan & Matt, making a couple of good runs into the bargain.
Giffnock extended their lead near the end when Ethan found Scott F with a great through ball and his cross from the byline went all the way to Sean at the back post who bundled the ball over the line for his hat-trick.
They could have added to the tally as well with two late free kicks from Ross causing panic in the Pollok defence; Ethan scored from one only to be adjudged offside and the second, taken quickly, caught the keeper half asleep but somehow he stuck out an arm to prevent a seventh goal.
Full Time : Giffnock SC Red 6-2 Pollok United Soccer Academy
Login to post comments