Home My YFS

Treble Yell for East End United

East End United 3

O'Brian 15, Lindsay 26, McCarthy 63

Cantera FC 1

McCallum 6
  • Tuesday, 04 February 2014
  • Petershill Park
  • Under 13´s
  • West Region Finals

James Hunter | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Click here for match video.

East End United Under 13's completed a sensational treble with a 3-1 win over Cantera to win in the West Region Cup finals. Goals from Josh O’Brian, Jack Lindsay and substitute Sean McCarthy secured victory for the side in blue and white to cap off a magnificent season. After hosting three finals on Saturday, a wet Petershill Park was again the venue for the first Sunday’s finals.
It was Cantera who got off to the brighter start and went ahead with just over five minutes played. Ryan John O’Hare gave away a free kick near the edge of the box after fouling Cantera’s Brian McCullough. Positionally it looked like it was primed for a cross into the middle, however Lee McCallum decided to go for goal and managed to curl the ball into the near post leaving East End goalkeeper Cameron Wishart stranded to give his side a dream start to the final.
East End were clearly keen to get themselves back on level terms as soon as possible with several chances being presented but not capitalised on. Shaun Rodgers was involved several times with two of his attempts being dragged wide. He went close to grabbing the equaliser after doing brilliantly to break into the box and getting his shot away but Cantera goalkeeper Robbie Riley done well to push the ball out for a corner kick. It was from this corner that East End got their equaliser as O’Brian, one of the smallest men on the park, headed into the back of the net. It came after Lindsay had a header cleared off the line but it came back to O’Brian who knocked the ball home.
Spirits were high for East End after the goal and they continued to press well as they looked to go into the lead. Riley had to be alert in the Cantera goal after the livewire Rodgers escaped from Ross Methven to break through but the keeper was off his line quickly to block the ball. Cantera were living dangerously with East End’s O’Hare seeing a header from a corner cleared off the line. Soon after they went 2-1 down. A sliced shot from an East End midfielder outside the box managed to find its way to Rodgers on the right hand side of the box. He managed to get the ball across the box Lindsay who knocked the ball past goalkeeper to put his side in front.
East End had the bit between their teeth and searched for a third goal before half time with man of the match Alistair Taylor stinging the palms of goalkeeper with a long range drive. It was then the job of Cantera defender Ross McChristie to prevent number Rodgers with an excellent tackle, taking the ball away from the attacker as he was in a deadly area. 
  • Half Time:
  • East End United
  • 2-1
  • Cantera FC
Cantera started off the second half and there was a magic moment when Reece Thomson produced a Cruyff-esque turn in the middle of the park to take two East End players out of the game. They won a free kick soon after when McCullough was fouled by O’Hare. The ball in from Cantera’s goalscorer McCallum was flicked goalward by Max Dougall but the East End goalkeeper Wishart gathered.
Cantera won another free kick and this time Keaton Shirra went for goal but it was easy for the goalkeeper who gathered with ease. If that was easy for the goalkeeper the next chance for the Blue and Yellow’s wouldn’t be. McCallum went on a good run and got himself to the edge of the box where he took a shot but the goalkeeper had to do well, diving to his left to push the ball away.
They might have been losing the game but Cantera continued to play some good passing football and a great passage of play almost saw them go close. East End were still playing well knowing a third goal would secure them the cup and almost got that goal. Dylan Crawford ran through down the right and, on the edge of the box, the Cantera keeper had come off his line to block his shot. It did, however, find its way to Josh Lafferty in the box but McChristie managed to get ahead of him to put the ball for a corner before Lafferty could score a tap in.
There were less than 10 minutes on the clock when East End wrapped the game up with a truly stunning strike courtesy of substitute McCarthy. He stole the ball off a Cantera defender on the edge of the box and after moving into the box lashed the ball into the top corner from a tight angle to secure the treble for East End.
  • Full Time:
  • East End United
  • 3-1
  • Cantera FC


East End United
Cantera FC

1. Cameron Wishart
2. Lee Govan
3. Daniel Wishart 
4. Ryan John O'Hare
5. Kenny Scullion
6. Jack Lindsay
7. Sean McCarthy
8. Alistair Taylor
9. Cian Houston
10. Shaun Rodgers
11. Josh O'Brian
12. Dylan Crawford
14. Daniel Ferguson
15. Josh Lafferty
16. Lewis Lafferty
17. Cameron Wright

1. Robbie Riley
2. Ross McChristie
3. Reece Thomson
4. Liam McGinlay
5. Ross Methven
6. Andrew Park
7. Joshua Coll
8. Keaton Shirra
9. Gerard Clark
10. Scott Meikle
11. Brian McCullough
12. Jack Jamieson
14. Lee McCallum
15. Max Dougall
16. Kyle Connor
17. Bradley Prentice

Star Player
East End United
Cantera FC
The official man of the match was given to Alistair Taylor and it'd be hard to argue with that. However, both Shaun Rodgers and Josh O'Brian were livewires in attack for East End in the first half.
Lee McCallum gets the plaudits after scoring Cantera's only goal and coming mightily close to grabbing an equaliser at 2-1.
Magic Moment
East End United
Cantera FC
It has to be Sean McCarthy's fantastic goal which wrapped up the victory for East End.
The Cruyff-esque turn from Reece Thomson was the magic moment for Cantera as he took two East End players out of the game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments