Home My YFS

Hit and miss as East End win league cup

Barrhead YFC 0

East End Utd 0

  • Final Result: Barrhead YFC 0-0 Eastend United (Eastend win 5-4 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 01 June 2014
  • Keanie Park, Johnstone
  • Under 17´s
  • Tom McPhillips Cup - Final

James Hunter | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

East End United Under 17's were crowned Paisley Johnstone and District Youth Football League’s League Cup winners after edging out Barrhead YFC Reds on penalties kicks. East End goalkeeper Ross Miller saved a penalty in the shoot-out which allowed Christopher Richmond to grab glory by scoring the winning penalty. A wet Keanie Park in Johnstone hosted the last of a weekend’s worth of P&JD League Cup final action.
The game was late in kicking off but once it did it started off in frantic style with East End United winning a penalty with only 45 seconds on the clock. Richmond broke through into the box and as he attempted to round the keeper, was brought down. He stepped up to take the penalty but failed to give East End the perfect start as he appeared to slip and the penalty hit the post.
The conditions were slippery but both goalkeepers showed safe hands when they were tasked with collecting dangerous looking cross balls. One apiece for each side could have led to a good opportunity for them but Barrhead’s Stewart Collins and his East End counterpart held well. Barrhead were showing good strength, winning most 50/50’s but gave away a free kick. Luke McGowan struck it low but it was straight into the arms of the goalkeeper Collins.
Set piece opportunities were coming in thick and fast with East End winning several corners at one stage. This came from the amount of space they were getting down the right side but most corners were struggling to trouble the Barrhead defence. It was, however, in the aftermath of a corner in which Richmond almost opened the scoring for East End as he managed to prod the ball past the keeper but some last ditch defending from Conan Mclean and Phillip Mills on the line managed to get it clear.
Most attempts on goal at this stage were long range efforts which weren’t causing either goalkeeper much harm with Barrhead’s Mclean sending a pile driver just over the bar whilst a shot from his team mate Cameron Boyd was easily dealt with by the keeper. It was Barrhead who ended the half the stronger of the two sides and East End goalkeeper Miller had to push Connor McCabe’s effort from a tight angle wide from a corner. Barrhead thought they had taken the lead on the stroke of half time when McLean rose above everyone in the box to bullet home at header into the roof of the net but the linesman’s flag was raised and the half ended goalless. 
  • Half Time:
  • Barrhead YFC
  • 0-0
  • East End Utd
After winning a penalty inside just 45 seconds of the first half, East End started the second with a similar intensity with William Lennox drilling a shot narrowly wide of the post within 10 seconds of the restart. Richmond had been in the thick of the action for East End and again came close to grabbing the opener as he got on the end of a Kwami Antoine cross but his header went just over the bar. Antoine was trying to get involved as much as he could in the game and sent across a magnificent long ball from the right to the left which found Regan Williamson but he was crowded out by the Barrhead defence before he could attempt to send in a threatening ball.
Barrhead started to come in to the second half more and could have gone close had anyone got on the end of Andy Stewart’s long free kick which was floated in deep to the far post but nobody could capitalise. It was then the turn of Jay Burns as he had Barrhead’s best chance of the game when his deflected shot left East End goalkeeper Miller scrambling to push the goal ward effort wide for a corner.
McGowan for East End picked up the man of the match award and done brilliantly to burst down the left to get a ball in the middle where he found Richmond all alone. Unmarked, he took a touch to steady himself for the shot but once hit it cannoned off the post before being cleared away.
The game ebbed and flowed for most of the encounter but the closing stages were a frantic affair. Firstly the tall Mclean got on the end of a free kick to just header the ball over the bar. East End then went close with Lennox flashing a drive right across the face of goal but there were no taker to knock the ball into the net. Williamson then done well to break into the box before unleashing a shot that was goal bound but was deflected out for a corner kick. The corner was taken short which led to another corner and from that a header was easily held by the Barrhead goalkeeper for the last chance of the match before the game headed for what is often the lottery of penalties kicks.
  • Full Time:
  • Barrhead YFC
  • 0-0
  • East End Utd

It was a fitting ending for Richmond, who missed the penalty for East End in normal time, as he scored the winning penalty.

Tam McArthur, Ryan McNeil and David Mullin all scored for Barrhead before McCabe had his penalty saved by East End’s Miller.

Connor McIntyre, Williamson, Lyall McConnachie and McGowan all scored for East End and with Stewart scoring Barrhead’s last penalty it meant it was up to Richmond to win it for East End and he obliged by dispatching home the spot kick.

Final Result: Final Result: Barrhead YFC 0-0 Eastend United (Eastend win 5-4 on penalties)


Barrhead YFC
East End Utd

1. Stewart Collins
2. Phillip Mills
3. Ryan McNeil
4. Conan Mclean
5. Conor McCabe
6. Tam McArthur 
7. Andy Stewart
8. Cameron Boyd
9. David Mullin
10. Stewart Logan
11. Paul McQuade
16. Ben Mullholland
18. Stuart Andrews
19. Jay Burns

1. Ross Miller
2. Daniel Orr
3. Connor McIntyre
4. Ross Devlin
5. Liam Daisley
6. Reece Williamson
7. Luke McGowan
8. Cory Hughes
9. Bradley Anderson
10. Kwami Antoine
11. Andrew O'Donnell
12. Christopher Richmond
14. Lyall McConnachie
15. William Lennox
16. Gregor Black
17.Regan Williamson

Star Player
Barrhead YFC
East End Utd
Defender Conan Mclean offered Barrhead a goal threat whilst also doing well at the back.
Luke McGowan picked up the official man of the match award and it was hard to argue with as he put in a good showing for East End.
Magic Moment
Barrhead YFC
East End Utd
In a match that lacked many special moments, Mclean's disallowed bullet header was one of the few occasions in the game where a set piece worked well.
Kwami Antoine's long field pinpoint cross ball in the second half was superb and should have allowed East End a chance at goal.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments