Home My YFS

Clinical finishing from Oban proves costly for Antonine

Written by 


Oban Saints
Under 15's Dumbartonshire FDA
Oban Park
18 May 2014
Antonine travelled to Oban for their penultimate league of the season. The game was moved from the unplayable grass park 
to 3g in order to get the match played. Antonine started on the front foot and in the 2nd minute a Chris Donaghy pass found 
Fraser James but he couldn't get enough height to chip the keeper. Seconds later, Owen Gallacher played in Caleab Elliot but he 
fired just wide. 
In Obans 1st attack, a long ball caught out the antonine defence and after Andy Carroll saved the 1st effort, 
the striker scored the rebound. 1-0 Oban.
The game then became a bit bogged down with Antonine struggling to cope with the direct physical play of their opponents.
On the 20th minute with no apparent danger the saints midfielder hit a screamer from 30 yards to make it 2-0 to Oban.
Antonine tried to hit back though,and a Gallacher cross on the half hour mark found Donaghy at the back post but the keeper saved his
effort. Antonine didnt learn from the previous goal as they gave the saints midfielder plenty of space and he smashed home 
from 25 yards to make it 3-0 with their 3rd attempt of the game.
Just before half time, James was pulled down 20 yards out, and Calum Maxwell's free kick was saved by the Oban keeper but Chris Donaghy was 
on hand to score the rebound with his 6th goal of the season.
Half Time: Oban Sainsts 3-1 Antonine
Antonine started on top in the 2nd half with elliot coming close early on. Carroll then had his 1st save of the match 
coming to the rescue after a short pass back from his defender. 
On the 50th min mark, Gallacher played in Fraser James and he smashed home from an acute angle with his 16th goal of the season to reduce the
deficit. 3-2 now.
5 mins later Elliot flicked a ball onto James and he chipped the keeper but the ball came off the bar, and unfortunately Donaghy couldn't force
home the rebound.
As antonine pressed for an equaliser, they got caught on the break by Oban when the striker converted a cross to make it 4-2.
Antonine with 10 to go pulled it back when Liam Manley played in James his cross was put into his own net by the saints defender to make it 4-3. 
As Antonine piled forward once again, they got hit on the break a couple of times to go 6-3 behind. 
In the last couple of minutes, Elliot had a shot cleared of the line and then Dom Cairney smashed a shot of the bar. 
It ended in a costly defeat for antonine who now need favours to stay in with a chance of winning the league. Oban gave antonine a lesson
with their clinical finishing, scoring with nearly every attempt on target. Next up for Antonine is Milngavie at William street next sunday in the
league cup semi final.
Full time: Oban Saints 6-3 Antonine
Author: Kevin Kelly

Kieran Green | YFS South East Region Journalist

Login to post comments