Home My YFS

Campsie book yet another visit to Airdrie with extra time win

Campsie Black Watch 2

McGuire, Ketterer

Mill United 1

  • Final Result: Campsie Black Watch 2-1 Mill United (AET)
  • Sunday, 23 March 2014
  • Adamslie Park, Kirkintilloch
  • Under 21´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup - Semi Final

Forde McGhee | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Campise Black Watch again booked their place at Airdrie for the Scottish Cup final with a 2-1 win over Mill United in extra time after both sides were locked at 1-1 after normal time.
For any follower of the Under 21 game, these sides needed little introduction. Campsie Black Watch were the holders of the coveted national trophy, having won last season's final against Knightswood Juveniles following two seasons of cup final heart break. Up against them were a Mill United side who had enjoyed success in the Central Region Cup last season and had made a promising start to their first season of West Region football.
The weather brought out the crowds and the venue was perfect. Campsie started well knocking the ball about and having a good bit of success in the middle of the park but could not make any threat on the Mill United goal.
Steven Aitken made a late run in to the box and connected perfectly with his header but the attempt which looked to be flying in was cleared off the line by a Mill United defender.
Campsie had scored at least four goal in every Scottish cup tie this season but just couldn't seem to find the back of the net in the early stages of this game. As for Mill United, they weren't shy of scoring goals either, having netted 13 goals already in there Scottish Cup campaign.
The visitors from Hamilton were playing some good passing football in the middle of the park but they could not seem to break clear of the Campsie defensive line, who were happy to keep the Mill United players passing it around in the middle third.
In the 32nd minute the deadlock was finally broken. It was Jordan Mcguire who ran in on goal and slipped the ball past the last defender and knocked it past the keeper to put Campsie 1-0 up.
Steven Aitken had a great chance saved by the keeper on the 43rd minute, which kept United within touching distance.
Minutes later Mill's Christopher Brannan had a great shot come off the bar, on the stroke of half time, and this was to be the last action of the first half.
  • Half Time:
  • Campsie Black Watch
  • 1-0
  • Mill United
At the start of the second half the game went from end to end with both teams having good spells of possesion but no team could change the scoreline which still read 1-0 to Campsie Black Watch. 
In the 50th minute of the game Mill United equalised. It came about when big defender Ross Burns came up from the back to net from a corner and keep his team's dream alive. The United support went wild and the match was well and truly back in the balance.
The next forty minutes saw both teams press for a winner but also show a degree of caution, determined not to slip up at the back and lose a goal in the closing minutes.
Mill's equaliser proved to be the last clear cut chance of normal time, which meant the game would go to extra time and even penalties if needed. Campsie were hoping their experience in this competition would pull them through, but United were no strangers to cup ties going all the way - after success in a couple of close run Central Region Cup finals in recent seasons.
  • Full Time:
  • Campsie Black Watch
  • 1-1
  • Mill United

The game in extra time was now starting to open up and the players were starting to show signs of fatigue and mistakes were beginning to appear.

Four substitutions from Campsie were perhaps the big difference in the game, as one of these changes was going to be the match winner. It was to be Christopher Ketterer who got the goal which would send Campsie to yet another Scottish Cup final.

Mill United did have one chance to force penalties, but Martin Storey was in fine form to pull off a diving save.

Campsie now head into their fourth final in as many years, awaiting the winner of Goldenhill's semi final against Tower Hearts to confirm their opposition.

Final Result: Final Result: Campsie Black Watch 2-1 Mill United (AET)


Campsie Black Watch
Mill United
1. Martin Storey
2. Andrew Graham
3. David Mcwilliams
4. Jamie Hamill
5. Gerry O`Connell
6. Nicholas Prentice
7. Jordan Mcguire
8. Ryan Murney
9. Paul O`Connor
10. Christopher Ketterer
11. Daniel McCluskey
12. Mark Cassidy
14. Kieran Blackwood
15. lan Preston
16. Garry Pettigrew
17. Kieran O`Hare

1. Nathan Wharton
2. Paul Kane
3. Grant Kelly
4. Christopher Brannan
5. Ross Burns
6. Darren Sneddon
7. Kieran Connachan
8. Brian Bittles
9. Gary McInall
10. Michael Coventry
11. David Reid
12. Dean Lindsay
14. John Morrice
15. Ben Falconer
16. Mark Mcquade
17. James Faughnan

Star Player
Campsie Black Watch
Mill United
Steven Aitken worked hard up front and always looked to cause the United defence problems with his pace and power.
Ross Burns was solid at the back for United and netted a crucial equalizer aswell.
Magic Moment
Campsie Black Watch
Mill United
Christopher Ketterer extra time winner to send them in to the final has to be Campsie's magic moment.
Christopher Brannan's fierce shot nearly split the bar in half in the first period.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments