Home My YFS


JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 2659

St Peters see off Barrhead Colts at Cowan Park

St Peters Reds 5

Mundy (2), Own Goal, Brown, Jones

Barrhead YFC Colts 2

  • Saturday, 15 March 2014
  • Cowan Park
  • Under 15´s
  • Paisley, Johnstone and District YFL - D1
Today's game at an ice cold Cowan Park between St Peters Red U15 and Barrhead YFC Colts U15 was an entertaining, bottom of the table clash in the PJDYFL 1999'S Division 1. It was St Peters who took the three points agents a hardworking Barrhead side.
It was Barrhead who got us underway, and within moments of the kick-off found themselves with the first chance of the game when Ewan Keir used his skill to turn the defender and have a long shot, which rattled the bar and went over.
Barrhead were first to find the net, but unfortunately for them, their own net as a bounce ball caused confusion at the back of the Colts defence, which lead to a botched clearance which lobbed the keeper giving St Peters an early lead through the own goal. St Peters 1-0 Barrhead.
It wouldn't be too long until the score was level again as Barrhead found themselves with a second corner after an unsuccessful first, which was delivered to the near post and found the head Stephen Sweeny who headed it past the out-rushing saints keeper to make it one each. St Peters 1-1 Barrhead.   
Barrhead looked to take the lead for the first time of the game, when Josh McCall's shot was blocked and fell conveniently to Jordan Loriner, who had a shot on goal but Saints keeper Jack Wright managed to push it away from danger. The Saints then went up the other end of the park and scored to regain their lead. A defence splitting ball found it's way to Paul Brown who poked the ball passed the Barrhead keeper Josh Gair. St Peters 2-1 Barrhead.
It wouldn't be long until the Colts net rustled again when St Peters' Ross Mundy took a corner in his stride and drilled the ball into the corner of the net to put his side two goals in front. St Peters 3-1 Barrhead.
The next period of action was mostly St Peters with chances, the most threatening of which was a log shot from Mundy which went just wide of the goal, also during this period, saints' Sean Clifford picked up a yellow card.
After this period of pressure from St Peters, the game settled into a good spell in the middle of the park with a lot of strong play and tackles. The most notable moment of this spell was Barrhead's Edward Mundemba's wonderful series of perfectly timed challenges in which each time won the ball back for his team.
The last chance of the game fell to Barrhead as they were awarded a free kick that was put into the back post by Jordan Loriner, finding the head of Stephen Sweeny, who headed the ball wide.
  • Half Time:
  • St Peters Reds
  • 3-1
  • Barrhead YFC Colts
It was St Peters who got the game restarted and dominated the opening stages of the half. They showed fantastic footballing ability with great first time passing inside the box, which lead to a certain chance which was unfortunately for them put wide by Nathan Duffy.
Barrhead began to come into the second half with a few threatening chances. Edward Mundemba had a long shot which flew just over, that was followed up by another chance when they won a free kick in a wide area, which was hit well but didn't trouble the keeper.
St Peters came very close to another goal when a mix-up between the Barrhead goal keeper and defence led to almost an own goal which forced one of the back four to desperately clear it off the line. Saints would not have to wait long for their next goal as moments later, a well worked ball into the box found it's way. Ross Mundy put the ball passed the diving keeper to make it St Peters 4-1 Barrhead.   
St Peters looked to increase their lead further when a smartly worked free kick saw the taker play the ball to Ross McCaw at the edge of the box, who passed it out wide to an unmarked Paul Brown who fired a shot at goal but the Colts keeper saved well.
Barrhead pulled another goal back, when a fast moving attack stretched the St Peters defence, allowing Edward Mundemba to put the ball into the box for the outstretched striker who put the ball into the net. St Peters 4-2 Barrhead.
Barrhead reacted well to losing the goal as they soon scored again as the Colts goal keeper spilled Fraser McKenzie's original shot allowing Jamie Jones to put the ball into the open net. St Peters 5-2 Barrhead. 
The last action of the game saw the referee hand out a yellow card to Murray Wilson for what was deemed an unfair challenge, and at that he blew the whistle to end the game. 
  • Full Time:
  • St Peters Reds
  • 5-2
  • Barrhead YFC Colts


St Peters Reds
Barrhead YFC Colts

1. Jack Wright  
2. Cameron Marsh
3. Calum Russel 
5. Struan Mclean
6. Fraser Mckenzie
7. Ross McCroie
8. Mathew Sharman
9. Jamie Jones
10. Paul Brown
11. Ross Mundy
12. Murray Wilson
14. Nathan Duffy
15. Cameron McAlpine
16. Dean Whitehorn
17. Ross McCaw

1. Jason Gair
2. Jarad Keir
3. Thomas Lamb
4. Cameron Keir
5. Ewan Keir
6. George Nixan
7. Stephan Sweeny
8. Kieran Barr
9. Jordan Lorimer
10. Ben Clements
11. Luke Wilson 
15. Josh McCall
16. Ryan Watson
17. Sean Clifford
18. Edward Mundemba

Star Player
St Peters Reds
Barrhead YFC Colts
Ross Mundy played well, created an number of chances and got his name on the score sheet.
Edward Mundemba was strong, skilful, creative, aggressive and controlling. Best player on the field today.
Magic Moment
St Peters Reds
Barrhead YFC Colts
A well worked free kick that hand came off the training ground and almost led to a goal.
Edward Mundemba's series of well timed tackles to win back possession.
Club Views
St Peters Reds
Barrhead YFC Colts
St Peters coach said: "We played very well, tried to play nice football and we feel we deserved the victory overall."
Barrhead manager said "We have struggled this year but we always compete, we gave away a few silly goals but never gave up."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments