Home My YFS

Tower break Burgh's hearts to book semi final place

Tower Hearts 2

Boyle, Boyd

Johnstone Burgh 1

  • Saturday, 01 February 2014
  • Shettleston Juniors
  • Under 21´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup - Quarter Final

Forde McGhee | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Tower Hearts showed great fight and determination this weekend to book themselves a semi final spot in the TWS Scottish Cup with a 2-1 win over Johnstone Burgh who took Tower the whole way but just managed to lose out after a Graham Boyd winner ended their final four dreams.
The game started off at a high pace which was expected from most watching knowing both sides wouldn't lie down. An early goal could be crucial to calm the nerves of either set of players but with the surface being slidy it took most players time to adjust as some passes were being over hit.
The slippy surface was also making it hard for players especially defenders to time tackles to perfection and this was the cause of the first goal in the game, a silly tackle from a Burgh player outside the box gave Tower the chance to test the away sides goalkeeper, Jamie Boyle stepped up and smashed his attempt through the wall and with a slight deflection the ball ended up in the Johnstone Burgh net giving the host's a very important lead in this semi final tie.
Moments later there was a penalty shout from the home side as a fantastic long ball from the back played through big Tower forward Graham Boyd who's touch lead him to collide with the Burgh keeper who was deemed by the referee to have won the ball.
From the very start of the game the height of big Johnstone Burgh captain Dale Sloan looked dangerous especially from set pieces and this was how the visitors got a goal back. A great free kick from the left hand side was whipped in with pace and not defended properly by Tower this lead to Sloan knocking home at the back post to make the scores level again.
Not long after Sloan's goal he nearly had a second as again Tower Hearts failed to defend a corner properly giving the big Burgh captain the chance to smash home at the back post but Tower keeper Daryll Jones came to rescue diving down to save well with his feet.
Just on half time Tower must have been thinking what have they done to deserve such bad long as a great ball from the left ended in a very scrappy goal line clearance then Graham Boyd smashing the post seconds later, the home side must have felt they could have been ahead at the break but it was all square at Shettelston Juniors.
  • Half Time:
  • Tower Hearts
  • 1-1
  • Johnstone Burgh
The second half started off the way the first ended with the host's on the attack, Tower were really starting to dominate the midfield and this was showing with the amount of chances being created. Again they thought they had went ahead when a great ball in from the left resulted in a scrabble in the box which ended in Jamie Boyles shot rolling along the line but being put out for a throw in to his disbelief.
It just didn't seem like Tower's day infront of goal as another chance to go ahead went begging when Thomas McLeary found space in the box and smashed his shot towards goal only for it to be saved fantastically by the feet of the Johnstone Burgh keeper, Tower just couldn't seem to pull a goal from anywhere and seemed to start getting frustrated with themselves.
Just as it looked as if they would never get a winner and the game could be heading to extra time they finally got some luck in front of goal and it was Graham Boyd who finished a fantastic counter attack for Tower, the big number 9 collected the ball 20 yards out and drove with pace at the defenders the best part about the move however was the finish as Boyd sent the keeper the wrong way and finished with ease to put Tower in the driving seat.
Johnstone Burgh looked tired but still tried to push for an another equalizer but the time was running out for the visitors and using all their energy attacking nearly cost them as Jamie Boyle raced through on goal for Tower and but a great save from the Burgh keeper kept Boyle from doubling the lead.
Burgh kept fighting on but eventually time had ran out and Tower Hearts had deservedly booked their place in the semi finals, on another day it could have been 4 or 5 for Tower who created tons of chances but some good defending and a lot of luck helped Burgh keep the score low on the day but didn't help them progress in to the final four, back to league business for both teams next week as Tower host Rossvale and Johnstone Burgh have the privalage of being host to title chasing Campsie Black Watch.
  • Full Time:
  • Tower Hearts
  • 2-1
  • Johnstone Burgh


Tower Hearts
Johnstone Burgh
1. Daryll Jones
2. Matthew King
3. Robert Duff
4. Rhys Donaldson
5. Calum Nolan
6. Kieran McKeown
7. Darren Jones
8. Jonathan Allan
9. Graham Boyd
10. Jamie Boyle
11. Thomas McLeary
12. Darren Lamont
14. Conor John Paton 15. Marc Houston
16. Gary Nugent
17. Kyle Gallagher
1. Sam Herbison
2. Ryan Quigley
3. Connor Mulle
4. Mark Smith
5. Euan Clark
6. Kieran Healy
7. Matt McStay
8. Dale Sloan
9. Lee Cochrarne
10. Kenny Wright
11. Gareth John
12. Dylan Blair
14. Stuart McKenzie
15. Connor McFadden
16. Alex Beattie
17. John Reid
Star Player
Tower Hearts
Johnstone Burgh
A real captain's performance from Jonathan Allan the midfielder was everywhere, won every tackle and header and walked off the pitch with his kit more brown with mud than blue with color.
Dale Sloan was the main man for Burugh solid at the back and dangerous from set pieces.
Magic Moment
Tower Hearts
Johnstone Burgh
Graham Boyd's brilliant finish to send Tower through in style.
Dale Sloan's well taken goal.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments