Home My YFS

Harmony Row toil through conditions to edge out Pollok

Pollok Juveniles 1

MacNeil 55

Harmony Row 3

Haddow 7, 15, Bolton 69
  • Saturday, 02 November 2013
  • Nethercraigs
  • Under 21´s
  • Birdston Kennels League Cup

Alisdair Morrison | YFS West Region Journalist

Harmony Row earned a place in the next round of the Birdston Kennels League Cup with a hard-fought but well earned victory over Pollok Juveniles.
Torrential rain was the order of the day, as both teams braved horrendous conditions to play out this feisty encounter in difficult circumstances. Luckily, the match was played on the artificial surface of the Nethercraigs facility, as otherwise the game would surely not have went ahead.
The Row got us under way here and they got off to a great start as striker Craig Paterson found himself through on goal. The big frontman couldn't find a route to goal past 'keeper Ben Lawton though as the ball was beaten away.
Good work down the left by Edward McTernan produced another good opportunity for the Row but this time Paterson just got his timing wrong and couldn't find the target.
It wasn't long though before Harmony Row found themselves in front.
Midfielder Scott Jackson found Paterson in the box before the striker unselfishly laid a great ball off to Cameron Haddow who coolly slotted past Lawton inside the far post.
Pollok took the goal on the chin and started to see a larger share of possession, but they struggled to break down a sturdy defence with a killer pass.
This lead to them having a few speculative efforts from around the edge of the box, most notably from striker Andy McLaughlin who fired a tasty effort just over the bar.
They were dealt a sucker punch though as they conceded a penalty after Scott Jackson was brought down in the area by Pollok's Michael McGhee. Harmony Row were two up soon after as Cameron Haddow stepped up and grabbed his second of the day, sending Lawton the wrong way.
Pollok picked themselves up and again were seeing the majority of possession but the Row's defence stood firm and forced Pollok into shooting again from distance, with Robert Hughes denied by just a few inches.
But Harmony Row were to gift Pollok a route back into the game as they found themselves down to ten men shortly before the break. Stewart Davidson was sent off after being booked and then booked again for dissent.
The Row switched their play to try and see more of the ball and left-back Graeme Anderson was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet as he curled a shot from the right of the box and it smacked up off the crossbar and out for a goal kick.
  • Half Time:
  • Pollok Juveniles
  • 0-2
  • Harmony Row
A substitution was in order for the Row after the interval with Lewis Mackie replacing Mark Burbidge.
Paddy Woods found himself through on goal early on in the second half but couldn't squeeze the ball past Jordan Bowskill.
As the Row looked to cement their position, they continued to chop and change. Craig Paterson, who'd had a good game and been unlucky not to find himself with a goal, made way for Lee Cockburn.
Pollok were now finding gaps in the Row's defence and John MacBeth was denied by the right hand post before the ball fell to Andy McLaughlin but the striker dragged his shot wide.
Pollok got themselves well and truly back into the contest soon after.
Anthony McHugh got his head onto the end of a ball into the box and he cushioned the ball down to Darren MacNeil to finish high into the net.
MacNeil was single-handedly trying to get his side back on level terms as he smashed a cracking free kick just wide of the right hand post.
As they attempted to level the tie, Pollok made two subs of their own with Robert Hughes and Martin Owen making way for Thomas Clark and Sean McGhee.
MacNeil was at it again as Pollok won a series of free-kicks in dangerous areas. MacNeil swerved a nice shot over the wall and towards the top left corner, but there just wasn't enough pace on the ball and Jordan Bowskill did well to hold the shot.
Cameron Haddow found himself through on goal again at the other end of the park after some slack passing from Pollok allowed him in. The frontman couldn't find the back of the net though as Lawton did well to tip the ball away with his foot.
And it was to be Haddow who set up the killer third goal for Harmony Row. It was a good run down the right from Haddow before he played a low ball into the box for captain Grant Bolton to curl into the top right corner.
Pollok were clearly left deflated by the Row's third goal but almost nabbed a consolation goal after Sean McGhee played in Andy McLaughlin who trickled a low shot past Bowskill, but the shot just rushed by the bottom left post.
It was to be the last remarkable piece of action though, and with the rain and wind maintaining their relentless onslaught, both teams seemed happy enough just to run down the clock and make their way into the warmth of the changing rooms.
  • Full Time:
  • Pollok Juveniles
  • 1-3
  • Harmony Row


Pollok Juveniles
Harmony Row

1. Ben Lawton
2. Anthony McHugh
3. Martin Owen
4. Ross McCabe
5. Michael McGhee
6. Darren MacNeil
7. Dominic Farrell
8. Paddy Woods
9. Andy McLaughlin
10. John MacBeth
11. Robert Hughes
12. Thomas Clark
14. Aiden Walker
15. Sean McGhee

1. Jordan Bowskill
3. Graeme Anderson
4. Daniel MacKinnon
5. Christopher Meikle
6. Grant Bolton
7. Stewart Davidson
8. Scott Jackson
9. Craig Paterson
10. Cameron Haddow
11. Mark Burbidge
12. Lee Cockburn
14. Luke Running
15. Lewis Mackie
17. Ralph Gamba

Star Player
Pollok Juveniles
Harmony Row
Paddy Woods strolled through the game and was always looking to push the team forward from midfield, rarely giving away possession.
Cameron Haddow ultimately takes the plaudits and the award for his cool head in front of goal but notable mention goes to Grant Bolton who looked a class apart throughout.
Magic Moment
Pollok Juveniles
Harmony Row
The consolation goal was fully deserved and came from a nice bit of play and passing.
The Row's first goal was a piece of passing magnificence and finished very handsomely by Haddow.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments