Home My YFS

Wanderers beat Airdrie to retain 100% record

Written by 


Milngavie Wanderers
Airdrie United
Under 15's GADYFL
Seedhill Leisure
20 October 2013
Milngavie Wanderers continued their 100% start to the season with their sixth win in as many games although they made this match far more difficult for themselves than it ought to have been. Despite taking a very early lead they were pegged back for much of the first half with only two stunning stops from keeper Ross Fisher stopping them from conceding. They rallied into a 3 goal lead in the second half before giving away 2 soft goals but were then able to score 2 more to secure a 5-2 win.
As mentioned, there was an early goal and it went the way of the Wanderers when Alberto Vezza shut down a defensive clearance which ricocheted through to Kalvin Warren who stroked the ball past the exposed keeper and into the bottom left-hand corner.
While you'd be forgiven for thinking a deluge of goals would follow such an early breakthrough, that proved to be as good as it got for the home side in the first half. Around the twenty minute mark, Joe Slee and Warren both sent free kicks wide of the post and Vezza's lob from distance sailed just wide before Airdrie began to come into the game.
On 26 minutes Ross Fisher made a superb one-handed save at full stretch to prevent the top corner from bursting before he was called into action again ten minutes later when the Diamonds beat the offside trap to go one on one but Fisher bravely got his body in the way of a fierce close range shot.
Wanderers improved in the dying minutes of the half as Ben Jenkins rattled a superb distant effort off the bar before Vezza saw another effort deflected wide but they would have been relieved to get in for half time with their lead still intact and they had their keeper to thank for that.
Half time: Milngavie Wanderers 1-0 Airdrie United
Milngavie set out with a point to prove in the second period and it paid dividends almost immediately as they doubled their lead with a touch of class only 60 seconds after the restart. Kalvin Warren cut in from the right and evaded one defender as he bore down on goal before calmly rolling the ball round the keeper and leaving him in his wake to tap into the unguarded net.
Airdrie wasted no time trying to cut the deficit though and Scott Hutton had to be at full stretch to block a dangerous looking cutback across Fisher's goal and put it over the bar.
The next real chance however, fell to skipper Jack Carson but he failed to make good contact with the ball and sent a free header wide on 48 minutes before the game was seemingly put to bed on the hour mark: Joe Slee's effort from the edge of the box rattled off the post and out to Vezza on the left who floated the ball into the six yard box onto the waiting head of Warren whose weak header certainly didn't look goal bound before substitute Bailey Williams spared his blushes to prod home from a yard out.
Airdrie weren't buried yet though and got two soft goals back on the 64th and 68th minute before Carson headed over from a corner on 70 minutes for Milngavie.
Just as a nervy finish looked to be on the cards for the champions, Slee set Warren free on the right hand side before continuing his run to gather a return pass on the edge of the box which he laid off to the oncoming Williams to coolly side-foot home for his second of the game.
A touch of gloss was then added to the win two minutes later when Vezza played a great through ball to Warren who calmly dinked it over the keeper for his 24th of a very prolific season so far and Milngavie's fifth of the game.
Full time: Milngavie Wanderers 5-2 Airdrie United 
Milngavie squad: Ross Fisher, Nathan Carmichael, Josh Shovlin, James Logan, Scott Hutton, Ben Jenkins, Jack Carson, Duncan Nicolson, Kalvin Warren (2',41',76'), Alberto Vezza, Joe Slee, Bailey Williams (59',74'), Aiden Young, Kyle Campbell
Login to post comments