Home My YFS

Harmony find their rhythm and hit five

Clydebank FC 1

Hogg 55

Harmony Row 5

McTernan 22, 63, Bolton 26, Patterson 75, Haddow 80
  • Saturday, 21 September 2013
  • Colquhoun Park
  • Under 21´s
  • West of Scotland Premier League

Ronnie McGowan | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

A well organised Harmony Row eventually ran out comfortable winners against Clydebank at Colquhoun Park. In softening sunlight against a backdrop of autumnal colours and Bearsden villas the team from Govan were able to convert their control into goals but only after a spirited Clydebank threatened to come back into the game early in the second half.
Harmony kicked off and assumed their intention to gain the upper hand with a series of intelligent probing moves that used the width of the field.
However after only three minutes Clydebank had a strong penalty claim waved away by referee Gerry Lyons after a long ball down the right flank from Gavin MacQueen released Steven Murphy into box where a strong challenge brought him down. The ball was quickly cleared to start a Harmony attack which involved Edward McTernan, Stewart Davidson and finished with a Ryan Kennedy shot which was palmed for a corner by goalkeeper Calum Easton. Harmony pressed tight on the Clydebank defence and never allowed the home team to settle on the ball.
Harmony’s slick passing game saw a Daniel MacKinnon header saved with Scott Jackson hitting the rebound wide then a good move that involved Davidson, Jackson and, McTernan opened the Clydebank defence without bearing fruit.
The game settled into a pattern dominated by Harmony but in twenty minutes against the run of play Clydebank were presented with the best chance of the game. Harmony’s Christopher Meikle was dispossessed by Kieran O’Donnell who had a clear run in on goal but his shot went high. A real let-off for the visitors. This warning to Harmony was heeded when two minutes later they took the lead. Gathering the ball twenty five yards out Jackson swung the ball out to the left where Graeme Anderson’s cross found the head of McTernan who carefully looped the ball past Easton into the left hand corner.
This proved to be a purple patch for Harmony and they scored their second goal four minutes later when Jackson saw his effort rebound to Grant Bolton who put the ball crisply into the net.
On the half hour mark Clydebank’s Murphy made a powerful run from the half way line but was thwarted by a tackle before he could get a clear shot on goal.
At the other end Ross McEntee picked up a loose ball twenty yards out but his free shot on goal went wide of the mark.
Harmony were snuffing out the Clydebank attacks and the first half ended with the team from south of the river in command.
  • Half Time:
  • Clydebank FC
  • 0-1
  • Harmony Row
With the breeze at their backs Clydebank opened the half brightly with a Murphy shot on goal from twenty yards.
Moving up field McTernan had a speculative attempt from twenty yards that went over the top. Minutes later Harmony made a double substitution as Clydebank showed more purpose with some sustained forward play which reaped a deserved goal in the fifty fifth minute. The influential MacQueen ran deep into the Harmony defence where the ball broke to Murphy on the left. His pass to Jamie Hogg saw the tall defender crack the ball into the right hand corner from 16 yards.
Clydebank made a substitution as the away team sought to reassert their authority on the game which materialised when a shot on goal from McTernan moved with speed from the left.
Clydebank were still showing signs of forcing their way back into the game and Murphy was prominent during this period. But Harmony restored their two goal lead after substitute Cameron Haddow ran at the home defence causing uncertainty and a goalmouth scramble saw the ball break to McTernan who took the opportunity to shoot home from close range.
Within the space of seven minutes Clydebank made three substitutions in an attempt to break the stranglehold Harmony were exerting but it was no surprise when after seventy five minutes Harmony rattled home number four. Haddow ran with the ball at the Clydebank rear-guard and found Craig Patterson unmarked who made no mistake from ten yards.
Harmony were to keep their best goal to last when in the eightieth minute McTernan made a run down the right wing before crossing where on the left flank an unmarked Mark Burbridge controlled the ball then passed into Haddow who powered a shot straight into the net from ten yards giving Easton no chance.
The game came to a conclusion with Clydebank still trying to move forward and still trying to create an opening.
In the end Harmony’s tight man-to-man controlled football paid dividends as they headed home with the points.
  • Full Time:
  • Clydebank FC
  • 1-5
  • Harmony Row


Clydebank FC
Harmony Row
1. Easton
2. McInally
3. Hogg
4. MacQueen
5. Buchanan
6. Fleming
7. Connell
8. Hunter
9. McGillvray
10. Murphy
11. O'Donnell
12. Griffin-Ross
14. Love
15. Struthers
16. O'Connor
1. Bowskill
2. Davidson
3. Anderson
4. Kennedy
5. Meikle
6. MacKinnon
7. Jackson
8. Bolton
9. Young
10. McTernan
11. McEntee
12. Burbridge
14. Cockburn
15. Haddow
16. Keenan
17. Patterson
Star Player
Clydebank FC
Harmony Row
Steven Murphy was always looking for the ball and always trying to create openings.
Edward McTernan scored two goals and a constant menace to the Clydebank defence.
Magic Moment
Clydebank FC
Harmony Row
Jamie Hogg's goal was the finish of a striker - excellently taken.
McTernan, Burbridge and Haddow combined for a fantastic free slowing move, resulting in goal number five.
Club Views
Clydebank FC
Harmony Row
Dougy McPherson,Coach of Clydebank FC, said: "The better team won."
Sam Meikle, Fitness Trainer, Harmony Row said: "I felt we started a bit slow but in the end it was a job done."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments