Home My YFS


JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 2659

Saturday, 27 April 2013 20:18

Cherrie crushed as Saints hit top spot

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Cherrie YFC
St Convals
Hallan 10
Carty 81


U17 Division Cup
KGV, Renfrew

Kieran MuirDean Robertson

By Kieran Muir and Dean Robertson
YFS West Region Reporters
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Today's game between Cherrie YFC and St Convals BC, in the PJ&DYFL D2 Divisional Cup, was a closely contested tie which saw the away team St Convals leave with a 2-0 victory in the sunshine.

It was St Convals who got the game underway and the game began evenly contested with no team taking early control, but it was the visitors who had the first chance when David McDonald had a shot saved by Cherrie keeper Jordan Holmes. It wasn't long until Cherrie had there first chance when a header from a long throw-in went wide off the target.

St Convals second chance of the game came when David McDonald passed the ball onto Brian Hallan who saw his shot blocked by the brave Cherries defender. It was only moments later when Cherrie had there own second chance on goal when Sean Dempsay was through on goal but the ball was cleared by the responsive visiting goalkeeper.

It was St Convals who made there chances count when a free kick by Captain Craig Baille was delivered into the box and found the head of Brian Hallan at the back post who netted to give the travelling team the lead on the tenth minute.

Cherrie looked for an instant reply when a free kick from the half way line was put into the box looking for the head of a Cherrie man but it did not go as they would have hoped. It was not long though until St Convals looked for there second goal when John Carty saw his sliced shot go wide of the post. 

St Convals had the ball in the back of the net again but the referee deemed it to be offside.

At this point in the game it was St Convals who had the majority of the chances and looked the most likely to find the net again but the next chance of any real note fell to the home side Cherrie when they found themselves with a free kick at the edge of the box. Daryl Davidson stepped up and had a shot but the wall did its job by standing strong and protecting the net.

St Convals were given an indirect free kick when the referee deemed there to be a pass back between Cherrie defender and goal keeper. Craig Baille laid the ball off for Scott Paton who fired the ball at goal, only to see the shot blocked by the strong Cherrie defence.

In the last five minutes or so the game returned to a more even pace with the game being played in the middle of the park. The last action of the first half saw Connar McGoldrick have a lobbed effort go past the post before the referee brought the half to a close.

Half Time: Cherrie YFC 0-1 St Convals BC

It was Cherrie who got us underway for the second half and it would be them who found the first chance after the re-start when Sean Dempsay had a one on one effort saved by the keeper after the St's defence failed to clear the ball.

St Convals responded to this pressure when Craig Weir had his first shot saved by the goal keeper and his second effort cleared off the line by the defender.

Saints began to take control of the game as they started to dominate possession and chances. This was demonstrated when John Carty and Craig Weir both had long shots which put Cherrie under pressure.

The game re-gained its even balance for a considerable amount of the second half. 

In the closing ten minutes Cherrie stepped up the pace for an equaliser when Sean Dempsay slid the ball through to James Dickson who saw his lacklustre shot saved by the keeper. As they pushed for an equaliser they found themselves stretched at the back which allowed St Convals to take advantage. 

John Carty found himself with the ball on the edge of the box and hit a powerful shot into the top corner of the net, doubling there lead with only minutes to go.

Cherrie had one final chance to get into the game when Martyn Andrew was on the end of a long throw in but the resulting header was fired passed the post. As the goal keeper took the resulting goal kick, the referee blew for full time. 

Full Time: Cherrie YFC 0-2 St Convals BC

Cherrie YFC St Convals BC
1. Jordan Holmes
2. Christoper Willson
3. Martyn Andrew
4. Connor Sweeney
5. Chris Ferguson
7. Reece Flynn
11. Fraser Elliott
8. Ross Doherty
9. Sean Dempsay
10. James Dickson
12. Kyle Ranachan
14. Dale O'Neil
15. Charles Macphee
16. Connor Love
17. David Campbell
6. Daryl Davidson 
1. Josh Gillies
2. Sean Morrison
3. Connar McGoldrick
4. Liam McNamara
5. Mathew Coyle
6. James Moore
7. Craig Baille
8. Garry McCreadie
9. John Carty
10. Brian Hallan
11. David McDonald
12. Carig Weir
14. Joseph Kelly
15. Scott Paton
16. Kyle Ramsay
Sean Dempsay showed good link up play and controlled passing.
John Carty, scored a good goal, and was involved in a number of attacks.
Cherrie YFC's coach said "It just wasn't our day, the other team had two good chances and took them both."
A St Convals member of staff said: "We got the result which is pleasing, but it could have gone either way."
Last modified on Saturday, 03 August 2013 20:45

Login to post comments