Home My YFS
Sunday, 10 June 2012 16:54

Barrhead burst Port Glasgow’s bubble to lift trophy

Written by  Paul Elliott
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Barrhead YFC Under 16s
Port Glasgow Under 16s
Competition: West District Cup
Venue: Petershill Park
Date: 22/04/2012
Author: Paul Elliott
Barrhead Yellow vs Port Glasgow BC (Under 16s)There was a carnival atmosphere at the U16’s cup final between Barrhead YFC and Port Glasgow with both sets of fans arriving dressed for the occasion. Who would have thought that a grey wet Sunday afternoon in Petershill would have been brightened up by beach balls and bubbles? It was Barrhead, however, who lifted the trophy after a game that wasn’t quite as vibrant as the stands.

As the game kicked off, a smoke bomb was released in the Port Glasgow end of the stand. One glance at them and you would have been forgiven for thinking Port Glasgow was in the Caribbean judging by the way their supporters were dressed.

Barrhead had the first chance of the game through Jack Easdon when a hopeful ball into the box found his head in the six yard box, but the keeper in goal for Port Glasgow made a superb reaction stop to deny the striker from hitting an early opener.

The game was very stop-start, with play constantly being broken by fouls and free kicks. Neither side were making a real impact.

Port Glasgow’s Ronald Wilson had a deflected shot from the edge of the box touched round the post by Alistair Hughes in the Barrhead goal, when he could perhaps have held it. The resulting corner kick came to nothing and Barrhead were let off the hook.

The game trudged on and Barrhead’s Conor Bradley took a short corner kick, and in a move straight from the training ground, he played an exchange with Sean Macrae before firing a left footed shot, which was creeping under the bar until the keeper got a finger tip to it to send the ball safely over the bar.

Still, there was no real fluency to the game. Things were taking a while to get going. Then came a truly explosive moment of the match when a huge bang thundered around the ground as the demolition of the nearby Red Road flats took place.

Once the players, and supporters, settled after the shockwaves of the explosion, the game restarted and Port Glasgow’s Sean Dinning showed his ability with a lovely touch over a Barrhead midfielder’s head before setting off on a darting 60 yard run with the ball. He then fed Ross Hall who was crowded out by Barrhead defenders, and the danger was cleared.

A speculative overhead kick from Port Glasgow’s Bendan Sharpe landed on top of the net. Still, the chances at both ends had been few and far between.

Then Barrhead’s Sean Macrae stepped up from deep and hit the bar with a left foot effort from 25 yards. It was a moment that signalled a turning point in the game.
Barrhead began playing some decent stuff. Sam McNeil and Cameron O’Neil were knocking the ball around with pace and confidence as their side started to take control of the game. Tony Etherson was working hard to win the ball in midfield and Barrhead seemed the more organised of the two teams.

With Barrhead looking the more likely to break the deadlock, Port Glasgow did a good job of seeing the game out to half time unscathed.
Half Time: Barrhead YFC Under 16s 0-0 Port Glasgow Under 16s
Barrhead Yellow vs Port Glasgow BC (Under 16s)Barrhead kicked off the second half and started where they left off - on the front foot. There was a really good tempo to their play and it looked like they had scored the opening goal of the game shortly after the restart but Sam McNeil had his goal ruled offside. It was an excellent pass by Cameron O’Neil to create the opportunity after some good work on the right wing by Jack Easdon.

Then up the other end of the park, Port Glasgow’s Brendan Sharpe latched on to a mistake and unleashed a snap shot on the turn, but found his effort well saved by Alistair Hughes. It was the best chance of the match and a signal that Port Glasgow could yet cause problems.

Port Glasgow did cause more problems soon after when a free kick was sent into the box and Liam Daisley, on the turn, fired a shot into the goalkeepers arms.

The rain then started to fall and added a bit of zip to the surface.

A long throw by Daniel Scott was flicked towards goal by the head of Ronald Wilson but was tipped over the bar in what was a terrific reaction save by the keeper.

Barrhead surged forward on the break and found Ross McGowan flying towards the Port Glasgow goal only to be denied but an incredible sliding tackle by Liam Daisley to keep the game at stalemate.

Barrhead’s Brian Ashe had a long range effort skid wide of the target before Jack Easdon went racing towards goal only to be beaten to the ball by Port Glasgow’s keeper who did well to clear his lines.

Then a moment of magic came from Port Glasgow’s Sean Dinning as he skinned two defenders but fired his right foot shot just wide of the target. It was a great piece of play that deserved the reward of a goal.

As the final minutes ticked down it was squeaky bum time in the stands as it was clear the match could go either way. Both teams fancied their chances but were unable to make any real openings to grab a winner. Extra time felt inevitable but with the last kick of the ball Barrhead nearly snatched it when Jack Easdon had a header cleared off the line by Daniel Scott. The referee blew full time and signalled twenty nail biting minutes of extra time to follow.

Full Time: Barrhead YFC Under 16s 0-0 Port Glasgow Under 16s

The opening goal came within a minute of the first half of extra time. A penetrating Barrhead move finished when Cameron O’Neil took the ball down inside the box and placed a sublime left footed shot into the top corner of the net. 1-0

Barrhead smelled blood and set about putting the game to bed. Connor Donaghy sent a superb pass for the on running Brian Ashe but he shaved the post with his finish. Then Cameron O’Neil fired a stunning right footed shot from 25 yards just over the bar.

Barrhead looked capable of scoring another as Port Glasgow tired, but the match made it to the break without another goal.

Port Glasgow had nothing to lose and came out for the second half all-out attack.
Just after the restart Sean Dinning sent an excellent cross into the box but it was well cut out by Tony Etherson. Dinning was still full of running and looked a threat even in the later stages of extra time.

Port Glasgow had a great opportunity for the equalizer when Brendan Sharpe was fouled 25 yards from goal. The resulting free kick taken by Daniel Scott and prompted the goalkeeper to save low while Sean Dinning was waiting to tap home.

With the last kick of the ball it was Barrhead who were on the front foot. John Middleton had a powerful shot saved after good play by Jack Easdon on the right wing.

The referee blew for full time and it was Barrhead, and their supporters, who went home happy as the deserved SYFA West Region Cup champions.
Final Result: Barrhead YFC Under 16s 1-0 Port Glasgow Under 16s (AET)
Barrhead YFC Under 16s
Port Glasgow Under 16s
1. Alistair Hughes
2. John Middleton
3. Sean Macrae
4. Luke Irvine
5. Connor Donaghy
6. Tony Etherson
7. Brian Ashe
8. Sam McNeil
9. Jack Eadon
10. Cameron O’Neil
11. Ross McGowan
12. Mark McGrory
15. Calum McKelvie
18. Conor Bradley
19. Lee Cruickshanks
21. John Craig
1. Cameron Paton
2. Zak McIntyre
3. Daniel McGachy
4. Daniel Scott
5. Declan McDade
6. Brendan Sharpe
7. Sean Dinning
8. Daniel Ingram
10. Ross Hall
11. Dean McLaughlin
12. Liam Daisley
15. Dominic Kinsella
16. Ronald Wilson
17. Robert Hall
18. Dale Hardie
Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!
Givova UK Man of the Match: Cameron O'Neil
Givova UK Man of the Match: Sean Dinning
Last modified on Monday, 05 August 2013 21:03
Login to post comments