Home My YFS
Sunday, 18 September 2011 22:14

Lightning strikes twice as Celtic beat Dryburgh

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Dryburgh Athletic Under 15s
Dundee Celtic BC Under 15s
Competition: P. Gibson League
Venue: Lochee Park
Date: 18/09/2011
Author: Joe Birchenall
The home team kicked off the first half and the opening exchanges were a typically cagey affair with both teams scrambling for dominance. As the sporadic showers of rain kept the pitch damp, the game was played at a high tempo and a high intensity as both teams showed attacking intent in the early moments. Reece Lawson flashed a shot over the bar for Dryburgh seconds after kick off, while at the other end Declan Cowan could not keep his placed shot from just brushing the side netting. Initially, the game was very open with chances coming thick and thin, Kieran Coats twice doing very well to keep out Charlie Doig early on.

Both teams had chances in the opening 10 minutes with Edward Grant forcing the Celtic ‘keeper into action, before Henderson played in Doig behind the Athletic defence with an exquisite long ball, Doig in turn set up Cowan with a square ball across the 18 yard box but the striker was again denied by fine goalkeeping by Coats. Moments later the big goalie rescued his teams again, as he raced out of his box to deny the rapid Cowan. As Dryburgh pushed their defensive line higher up the pitch they started to pin Celtic back a little and won a series of corners but never really managed to test Mudie in the Celtic goal, and were made to pay for their reluctance to shoot as Celtic took the lead via a converted penalty on 25 minutes, after Ashton Milroy was adjudged to have fouled Tony Myers as the midfielder ran at goal. Declan Cowan stepped up and made no mistake as he fired low to the keepers left, leaving Coats no chance. Very composed finish from the Celtic hitman. Dryburgh Athletic 0 – 1 Celtic Boys.

Dryburgh may have argued that the goal was a little cruel on them but instead of feeling sorry for themselves they seemed to be spurred into action. Bradley Airlie sold his marker a beautiful dummy down the Athletic right wing before whipping in a ball that just evaded his team mates. Seconds later the young man was at it again, as he latched onto a great cross from his brother Connor, this time Bradley Airlie took matters into his own hands as he beat Jordan Mudie to put his team back on level terms in the 28th minute. Great play from the Airlie brothers, but the initial ball from Grant to release Connor Airlie is worthy of mention, the striker playing a sumptuous lofted ball in behind the Celtic fullback with a deft flick of his boot. Quality football all round and a great response to going a goal down. 1 – 1. Dryburgh kept up the tempo and Bradley Airlie forced Mudie into another save, eager not to fall behind Celtic looked to respond aggressively themselves and Mudie, who’s distribution throughout was of a high standard, played in Doig down the left wing who looked to combine with Innocente Carena before Milroy stepped in ably to interrupt.

As the first half came to a close the game showed no signs of slowing up and the end to end football continued, again Henderson released Doig with an exceptional ball over the Athletic defense, but again Celtic were denied by Coats at the last. Athletic responded with Adams and Brad Airlie threatening down the wing before Callum Connor nullified the threat, and the recycled ball found Cowan with a final chance on goal, which Kieran Coats dealt with comfortably before the referee brought the first half to a finish, with the score tied at 1 – 1.

Half Time: Dryburgh Athletic Under 15s 1-1 Dundee Celtic BC Under 15s

The first half had been a tight affair with neither team really gaining the upper hand, despite the play being quite open. Both teams had looked most dangerous down the wings, with both sets of full backs looking to get involved when possible. The Dryburgh strikers had at times looked a little isolated up front and they would their midfielders to play further forward so they could link up more often, whilst Celtic would be looking to try and convert chances as Kieran Coates had a very strong first half in the Athletic goal. Particularly impressive for Celtic was Matthew Henderson as he sprayed ‘quarter back’ type balls with deadly accuracy, Cowan had looked lively up front and Tony Myers also impressed for the Celts as his desire and work rate, as well as skill on the ball shone. Dryburgh’s Airlie brothers and Edward Grant had looked very menacing going forward, and Kieran Coyle at left back had worked tirelessly to keep out the Celtic advances against a dangerous Charlie Doig.

As Celtic started the second half the game looked set to continue the way it had finished at half time, as minutes into the first half Callum Connor played in a ball that almost deserved a goal in its own right, his curling cross perfectly lofted over the Dryburgh centrehalves, but Carena was just unable to send his header goalwards. Athletic responded in typical fashion, with Craig Adams driving down the wing skilfully evading players only to see his cross intercepted by the Celtic defence. Then on the 8th minute of the half, in a moment of inspiration James Davidson took the game by the scruff of its neck with an absolutely sensational 30 yard drive into the top corner, giving the keeper no chance. Excellent shot from the young full back to put his team ahead again. 2 – 1 Celtic. 

Celtic seemed to smell blood and minutes later Tony Myers had a dipping free kick pushed just wide of the left post, good effort from the player who continued to impress for his team. Celtic kept pressing and on the 12th minute Matthew Henderson displayed incredible technique to curl the ball into Coat’s top left corner, from almost the same spot as James Davidson. Kieran Coats had been on top form but could nothing about either shot and the goals seemed to stun Dryburgh a little, who had put up a brave fight in defence yet found themselves 3 -1 down after being undone by pure quality.   

Connor Airlie was not about to lie down however as he attacked down the flank, his cross being cut out by Jordan Mudie under pressure from Liam Dowdles. Dryburgh had a few spells of possession as Celtic seemed happier to sit back, the ball being played mostly in the middle of the park as Dryburgh looked to unlock the Celtic defence, which was marshalled well by captain Mark Hanlon. Then on the 21st minute Billy Houston made Dryburgh’s task even harder as he slotted home with a close range effort that curled under Coats in goal – just rewards after some impressive build up play down the right to pull the Athletic defence out of position.  

The game continued to be played out in the midfield as Athletic tried to push the ball forward, Dowdles had looked lively since coming on and was proving difficult to keep tabs on as he was allowed to fire a shot over the bar from just outside the box, before Tony Myers fired wide of the right hand post after patient build up play again from Celtic. It was Liam Dowdles who scored next on 30 minutes as he lobbed the ball over Jordan Mudie from the right hand side of the Celtic box. Delicate finish from the striker to put Celtic under a little more pressure for the last 10 minutes. But it was Athletic who found themselves on the back foot again as Kieran Stuart was forced to make a strong last man tackle to keep Celtic out, before Kieran Coyle did well to force Declan Cowan’s shot wide of goal.

Then with 4 minutes to play, Celtic put the game well and truly beyond any doubt, as a mishit clearance was controlled on the knee by Tony Myers before he fired a half-volley beyond Coats’ outstretched hand and into the back the net to make it 5 – 2 to Celtic Boys. A goal was no less than Myers deserved after a man of the match performance. Dryburgh had a final attack as Liam Dowdles hit the target but Mudie saved comfortably and the referee brought the game to an end.  

Full Time: Dryburgh Under 15s 2-5 Dundee Celtic BC Under 15s

Celtic had played well from start to finish and were deserving of their victory but the score line was perhaps a little harsh on Dryburgh who had played well until wonder strikes from Davidson and Henderson knocked the wind out of their sails a little. Despite their best efforts Athletic were unable to get back into the game, with Celtic punishing them for committing men forward as the clock wore down. The game itself was fast paced and had moments of individual skill as well as some great link up play from both teams. Celtic will be happy with the way the game finished but Dryburgh Athletic will know that they had their moments, left a good account of themselves and can hold their heads high.   

Dryburgh Athletic Under 15s
Celtic Boys Under 15s
1. Kieran Coats
2. Vince Kenny
3. Regan Robley
4. Reece Lawson
5. Bobby Traynor (C)
6. Ashton Milroy
7. Craig Adams
8. Edward Grant
14. Bradley Airlie
15. Keiran Coyle
11. Connor Airlie
9. Brandon Tucker
10. Liam Dowdles
11. James Low
12. Kieran Stuart
17. Sameer Al-Nadaf
1. Jordan Mudie
2. Callum Connor
3. James Davidson
4. Charlie Doig
5. Ryan Campbell
6. Matthew Henderson
7. Kyle Walker
8. Mark Hanlon (C)
9. Declan Cowan
10. Innocente Carena 
11. Billy Houston
12. Kyle Henderson
14. Shafik Rafik 
15. Liam Reid
16. Wayne Gourlay 
17. Tony Myers
Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!
Givova UK Man of the Match: Bradley Airlie
Givova UK Man of the Match: Tony Myers
Last modified on Sunday, 04 August 2013 19:03
Joe Birchenall

Joe Birchenall | YFS East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments