Home My YFS

EKFC Gold shine in Giffnock goal-fest

Giffnock SC United 2

Gillies 43, Cuthbertson 59

EKFC Gold 4

MacDonald 17, Bowers 23, 81, Willis 80
  • Sunday, 05 May 2019
  • Norwood Playing Fields
  • Under 19´s
  • A Divisional Cup Section 1: 3rd Place Playoff

EKFC Gold started as they intended to go on at Norwood Playing Fields and came straight out of the blocks early on. A few early efforts from target man Daniel Hashim did little to trouble Giffnock goalkeeper Luke Paul, however it didn't take long before the scoring was opened for the afternoon.

On the 17th minute, central midfielder Alexander MacDonald burst into the box after a great run through the middle. It looked as if the chance had gone when the defence regained possession, however a mix up which saw the ball lift off the ground presented MacDonald with a chance, which he brilliantly floated off the bar and over the line when it was spilled by the goalkeeper. 

Giffnock tried to respond immediately with shots from Cuthbertson and O'Hagan not enough to properly threaten the goalkeeper who saved easily. However, it was to be EKFC who would double their lead when in the 23rd minute, Jack McKenna floated a ball in to Lee Bowers who struck home fantastically on a first time volley into the roof of the net. 

More chances fell for East Kilbride who looked to put the game out of sight before half time, including another effort from Bowers from just outside the box that was well saved by the goalkeeper.

On the 43rd minute an important moment in the match came. Giffnock's John O'Hagan strayed offside however wasn't active which confused EK defender Grant Dryburgh. Giffnock's Max Gillies was alert to the situation and duly swept past Dryburgh into the box where he was 1v1 with the keeper, before Dryburgh bundled him down leading to a Giffnock penalty. Gillies stepped up to take it however his shot was saved by EK's Euan Aitken, but the ball fell right back into the path of Gillies who diverted the rebound.

The referee had to intervene when handbags ensued between Aitken and Gillies, when Aitken regathered the ball to waste time, however the referee kept his cards in his pocket.

Just before half time Giffnock could have equalised after a great run by Aiden Lyons, however a poor ball into the area ensured it was 2-1 to EK when the half time whistle blew.

  • Half Time:
  • Giffnock SC United
  • 1-2
  • EKFC Gold

The second half started with EKFC looking to restore their two goal cushion, however a series of shots in the opening stages either went wide or didn't do enough to threaten the Giffnock goalkeeper. 

Then completely against the run of play, a tame effort towards goal from just inside the box by Giffnock's Jack Cuthbertson was flapped at by EK goalkeeper Euan Aitken who was then helpless as the ball ended up in the back of the net.

Cuthbertson was bowed on by Aitken's goalkeeping howler and minutes later punted a very speculative effort at goal from around 50 yards when Giffnock were awarded a free kick. However, Aitken made sure that it was just the one goalkeeping howler this afternoon and collected well from the attempt.

Giffnock continued to threaten as the game entered the closing stages, hunting for what at one point looked like an unlikely winner. However, Cuthbertson changed from hero to villain for Giffnock, making a huge error on the 80th minute. Trying to head the ball back to his goalkeeper, Cuthbertson didn't put enough power into the header and left the ball in the mercy of Jonathan Willis who slotted home to put EK back into the lead.

The error was very unlucky for Cuthbertson who had arguably been the standout player for Giffnock up to that point of the game, however his error proved to be very costly. The damage was compounded straight after when Lee Bowers added his second of the game and EK's fourth after a superb solo run from the halfway line before powering high into the net.

EK had the chance to make it five late on when Daniel Hashim was brought down in the area with just a minute to go. However, Hashim's penalty was well saved to ensure the damage remained at two goals, with the game concluding 4-2 in EKFC Gold's favour

  • Full Time:
  • Giffnock SC United
  • 2-4
  • EKFC Gold


Giffnock SC United
1. Luke Paul (GK)
3. Michael Ward
4. Aaron Minto
5. Finlay Anderson
6. Jack Cuthbertson
7. John O'Hagan
8. Max Gillies
10. Matthew Gear
11. Kevin Gallagher
14. Ryan Donnelly
15. Aiden Lyons


2. Greg McIntyre
1. Euan Aitken (GK)
2. Cole McIntyre
3. Alexander MacDonald
4. Adam Edgar
5. Grant Dryburgh
8. Kyle Caig
10. Euan Aitken
11. Jack McKenna
14. Lee Bowers
18. Stephen White
23. Bailey Harvey
32. Daniel Hashim


12. Jonathan Willis
20. Ronan Fox
21. Craig Murdoch
22. Paul Smith
Star Player
Giffnock SC United
Max Gillies - With a vital run which lead to a penalty which he duly converted in the first half, Gillies reignited some hope for a Giffnock result going into the second half. Before things fell apart in the last 10 minutes, Gillies was frequently involved in attacking moves, with a lot of forward thinking play throughout.
Lee Bowers - Bowers scored a fantastic brace which ensured EKFC were victorious against Giffnock. The first goal was a brilliantly converted first time volley high into the goal during the first half. Whilst his second goal confirmed the 4-2 victory, immediately after the third goal, when Bowers went on a solo run from just past the halfway line before powering the ball past the keeper high into the net
Magic Moment
Giffnock SC United
Giffnock's glimmer of hope came at the end of the first half, when John O'Hagan strayed offisde, confusing defender Grant Dryburgh, and allowing Max Gillies to break through 1 on 1. Druburgh subsequently took down Gillies in the area, which gave Giffnock a penalty, to which the rebound was converted. Before the goal, Giffnock looked down and out but the goal ensured they were only 2-1 down at half time and managed to keep them firmly in the match for most of the second half
EKFC's second goal was undoubtedly the pick of the bunch. A ball floated in from the dge of the box by Jack McKenna was struck sweetly by man of the match Lee Bowers, who took the attempt on a first time volley powering the ball past keeper Luke Paul.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments