Home My YFS

St Peter's take the West Region Cup with dramatic penalty-shootout success over Giffnock

Giffnock SC United 2

Cowan 48, Stewart 90+3

St Peter's FC 2

Carlin 32, Goma 34
  • 2-2 (St. Peter's FC win 2-4 on penalties)
  • Saturday, 09 June 2018
  • Petershill Stadium
  • Under 17´s
  • West Region Cup

A dramatic climax to the SYFA West Region Under-17s cup final saw St Peter's take the trophy in a 4-2 penalty-shootout win over Giffnock SC. 

The shootout came after the sides couldn't be separated after 90 minutes, with a thrilling 2-2 draw on display for the supporters at Petershill Stadium during the initial 90 minutes. 

First-half strikes from Harry Carlin and Chimwemwe Goma had St Peter's in cruise control heading into the break. However, a strike at the start of the second 45 by Fraser Cowan was eventually added to by a dramatic late effort from Cameron Stewart that secured a shootout for Giffnock.

St Peter's looked lively early on, and were trying to take advantage of any opportunities they were getting from the Giffnock back-line. Marcus Holland caught Ben Kilcoyne napping in his own half, and struck a half-volley on goal that forced Luke Paul into a good low stop.

In truth, the opening stages were extremely cagey yet energetic. The biggest source of that energy was coming from Goma, who seemed to have the responsibility of roaming around the pitch to try and make things happen. Several runs by him and Matthew McArthur led to some promising cut-backs, but there were no takers.

Giffnock had their moments down the right hand side, but in truth it was St Peter's who were starting to look in the ascendancy towards the half hour mark. Chances were still rare, but the best one fell to St Peter's right before 30 minutes. Declan Shaw had a pop from 20 yards, and after Paul parried it straight to McSkeane, it looked as though it would be 1-0. However, Paul did well to gather the rebound comfortably.

Yet St Peter's weren't going to have to wait much longer before opening the scoring. They had been looking the likelier side, but a moment of class sealed their advantage. Lewis Logan sent a terrific, curling ball to the front post that was flicked home superbly by Carlin.

With the momentum now with St Peter's, they went and doubled their lead before the break. A simple corner into the Giffnock penalty area was cleared only as far as Goma, who let a howitzer leave the outside of his right boot and curl into the far corner.

Holland's cross just evaded Goma, whilst Lee McTernan was next to pop an effort wide before the break as St Peter's dominated the contest, with McTernan also clipping the post with an effort with the outside of his right boot on half-time.

  • Half Time:
  • Giffnock SC United
  • 0-2
  • St Peter's FC

There was a noticeable change in the tempo of the game at the start of the second. Giffnock were getting stuck in and winning a lot more 50-50s early on.

And if it wasn't noticeable before, it sure was when Giffnock pulled one back just three minutes into the half. A terrifically clipped ball by Jack Cuthbertson sent Cowan away down the left. Cowan darted towards goal as he prepared for a one-on-one with Jack Dondoe. There would be no nervousness in the finish either as he delightfully lobbed his effort over the advancing goalkeeper to half the deficit.

The pressure during the next 10 minutes would be fairly heavy from Giffnock. As they sensed an equaliser, Cowan was once again nearly played in by Martin Alpine, but this time the ball was just a tad heavy for the forward.

Despite a lot of probing in possession however, Giffnock soon started to run out of ideas on the hour mark, and you sensed that St Peter's had seen out the crest of the wave from the goal after the break.

However, just as that seemed to be happening, Cowan was put in again down the left. It was an eerily similar situation to his goal, but this time he couldn't slot it beyond Donohoe, who made himself big to block it.

St Peter's were starting to come into the game again outwith that chance, though, and Paul could count himself lucky his clearance off Holland's head flew over instead of into the net.

The pace of the game was slowing heading into the final 20 minutes, and that suited St Peter's more. Goma was still lively on the ball, and continued to go on runs on occasion.

Cowan turned provider to set up Kyle Elrick, who'd made an advancing run. The ball was there to be won, and Donohoe sensed this and came out to collect. However, despite getting there first, the St Peter's goalkeeper took a sore one as Elrick, who was going for the ball, accidentally caught him. Fortunately the goalkeeper was able to continue.

St Peter's came so close to sealing it with just over 10 minutes to go. A free-kick won by Aidan Calderwood's foot-work saw Holland strike the inside of the post. The ensuing scramble saw the ball fall to the grateful Thomas Haggarty, who could only smash his low effort straight at the alert Paul.

As the game trickled into the final 10 minutes, an equaliser certainly didn't feel on the cards. Passes were going astray and the tempo was too broken for there to be a goal, or at least that's how it felt for observers. Yet that wasn't to be the case.

In the 93rd minute, Giffnock won themselves a corner, which found its way to Stewart at the back post. The number three composed himself before drilling into the far corner to seal the draw and sent the Giffnock supporters wild and seal a chance at glory in the shootout.

  • Full Time:
  • Giffnock SC United
  • 2-2
  • St Peter's FC
For Giffnock - Elrick and Max Gillies slotted their penalties home. However, Logan McCarthy would have his low penalty saved by Donahoe, whilst Kevin Gallagher stroked his wide.

For St Peter's - McSkeane, Holland, Haggarty, and McTernan all scored. The winning penalty would come from McTernan, who showed terrific composure to slot it home with ease ad win the cup for St Peter's.

Final Result: 2-2 (St. Peter's FC win 2-4 on penalties)


Giffnock SC United
St Peter's FC
1. Logan Paul
2. Aidan Lyons
3. Cameron Stewart
4. Ben Kilcoyne
5. Finlay Anderson
6. Cavan Burns
7. Martin Alpine
8. Max Gillies
9. Cameron Mackay
10. Jack Cuthbertson
11. Kevin Gallagher
14. Logan McCarthy
20. Fraser Cowan
44. Kyle Elrick
1. Jack Donohoe
3. Ben Blair
4. Nathan McSkeane
5. Lewis Logan
6. Jude Birney
7. Matthew McArthur
8. Thomas Haggarty
9. Lewis Connor
11. Aidan Calderwood
12. Lee McTernan
13. Lewis Quinn
15. Blair Richardson
16. Marcus Holland
17. Chimwemwe Goma
18. Declan Shaw
19. Harry Carlin
Star Player
Giffnock SC United
St Peter's FC
Fraser Cowan - He really led the fightback in the second half with his energy. Got in behind and showed great composure to haul Giffnock back into the contest, and generally made a habit of getting in behind the St Peter's back-line.
Chimwemwe Goma - Was the main threat for St Peter's throughout the contest. Summed up his classy performance with a piece of individual brilliance before half-time. Absolutely terrific display from Goma all-round as his pace and power caused Giffnock all sorts of problems.
Magic Moment
Giffnock SC United
St Peter's FC
Cameron Stewart's late equaliser was a joy to behold for Giffnock's fans and players. It may have all ended sour for them, but that late goal sparked joyous scenes and secured the penalty shootout they had earned throughout the game.
It would be easy to say McTernan's winning penalty would be the magic moment for St Peter's, but Goma's goal takes that acclaim for its brilliance. The pacey number 17 killed the ball with expert control in a packed penalty area, before sending a curling effort into the top far corner to put St Peter's in control.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments