Home My YFS
Wednesday, 30 March 2011 11:00

Colts edge Galston in tight affair

Written by  Ross Mitchell
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Galston Boys Club
Craigie Colts
Competition: CAYFA U13s
Venue: Barrmill Stadium, Galston
Date:  27/03/11
Author: Ross Mitchell
Galston kicked off the game playing in their blue kit against Craigie who were playing in red.
For the first 10 minutes the ball was stuck in the middle of the park with no team really looking to take the initiative.  The first opportunity of the game came from a mistake from Craigie keeper Christopher Freeman rather than good play from Galston.  A poor kick from the keeper went straight to the feet of striker Connor McCulloch who was unable to control and lost the ball.
The next chance fell to Craigie after good work in the midfield by Alexander Bell who played a wonderful pass to put Jordan Baird through.  A poor first touch by the striker allowed Galston’s keeper to come out and collect the ball bravely.
The pattern of an attack for Galston and then an attack for Craigie continued as Galston created another good opportunity for the home team.  A long ball from defence put Connor McCulloch through on the left wing with no defender close to him.  As he raced towards the goal Christopher Freeman rushed out of his area and made a brilliant challenge to put the ball out for a throw in, if he mistimed the tackle he would have had to have been sent off.
In response, Craigie looked for the first goal of the game.  A long ball from deep was played into the area, a Galston defender tried to clear the danger but it hit Callum Hamilon and deflected into the path of Ross Kelly in the Galston penalty box.  However, the attacker’s left footed shot went wide.
The last attack of the half resulted in the first goal of the game.  A cross from Craigie’s right was not cleared by Galston.  The ball fell to Jordan Baird inside the penalty area who hit a shot which bobbled past the keeper and into the bottom corner.  It was a poorly hit shot which the keeper should have done a lot better with. 
At half time the game was very even with no team dominating.  Craigie maybe just deserved their lead as they created more chances but Galston were not far behind in the shot count.
Half Time: Galston 0-1 Craigie
Craigie kicked the second half off and looked to score another goal quickly after the restart.  Jamie Dunlop went on a good run on the left wing and cut into the Galston area where he played a chipped ball to Jordan Baird inside the six yard box.  Baird controlled well and hit a shot which got past the keeper but was cleared off the line by a covering defender.  
Craigie were having the better of play in the second half but a mistake in their defence put Mark Kiltey through.  A great challenge from Clarke Boon stopped the attack but made Craigie a bit more aware of a Galston counter attack.
Galston then looked to attack more and good play down the right wing by Elliot Spence allowed him the space to play a square ball to Mark Kiltey who was unmarked in the middle of the Craigie box.  However, the striker could not connect to the cross.
The home team continued to pile on the pressure and got their reward when they equalised.  Another good run down the right from Elliot Spence got the attacker into a position to shoot.  He shot across the keeper but sub goalie,  Reece Higgins, saved well but parried the shot right into the path of Mark Kiltey who tapped in easily from 6 yards out.  
Galston had the momentum with them and looked to take the lead.  Elliot Spence ran down the right wing again and played a brilliant cross into the back post.  Mark Kiltey was looking to connect with the cross but it hit the post and the onrushing Galston player took a blow to the head in his attempt to reach the ball.
As both teams looked to find what would be the winning goal the game became very stretched.  Craigie had an excellent chance to win the game, the ball broke to Jordan Baird off of a Galston defender inside the Galston box.  Baird had time but rushed his shot and missed the target.
The final attack of game, just like the second half, produced a goal.  It went to Craigie who won a free kick around 20 yards from goal.  Ross Kelly took the kick and shot straight from it.  His shot was well hit and went into the goal, however, the Galston keeper could have done better with the shot, just like with Craigie’s first goal.
The game finished 2-1 to Craigie.  It was a very even game with both teams having periods where they were on top.  Galston will feel they should have won at least a point with the performance they put in.  Craigie will be ecstatic with the result as they won the points without really deserving all three.       
Full Time: Galston 1-2 Craigie
1 Luis Kerr
2 Scott Anderson
4 Kris Henderson
4 Danny Brooks
6 Craig Black
7 Sean Sweeney
8 Paul McCluskey
10 Elliot Spence
11 Connor McCulloch
12 Stewart Shek
14 Mark Kiltey
15 Spencer Hall
5 Ewan Moore
9 John Frame
1 Christopher Freeman
5 Jamie Dunlop
7 Clarke Boon
9 Jordan McCarty
10 Ross Kelly
11 Aiden Lynch
12 Ben Gibson
14 Jordan Baird
15 Alexander Bell
16 Barron Mitchell
17 Callum Hamilon
4 Ross Steele
6 Robbie Esquierdo
21 Reece Higgins
YFS Man of the Match:
YFS Man of the Match: Jamie Dunlop
Referee: George McNairney
Last modified on Friday, 09 August 2013 02:57
Login to post comments