Home My YFS

Kilmarnock defeat nine-man Motherwell to reach semis

Motherwell U20s 2

Bowers (59'), Hastie, (68')

Kilmarnock U20s 3

Samizadeh (16')(63'), Paterson (84')
  • Friday, 23 February 2018
  • Excelsior Stadium
  • Under 20´s
  • Scottish FA Youth Cup
Kilmarnock U20s performed the ultimate smash and grab against a nine-man Motherwell outfit in an action-packed Scottish FA Youth Cup quarter-final at the Excelsior Stadium in Airdrie.
The home side came from behind twice but it wasn’t enough as the Ayrshire men progressed to the semi-finals of the competition in a tie that was unfortunately shrewd in controversy as the Steelmen went down to nine men in dramatic circumstances.
The game could’ve been over in the first ten minutes had the Fir Parkers taken their chances earlier on in the game. A ball to the back post had Jasko Keranovic in the Killie goal beat but Jordan Armstrong and James Scott of Motherwell were unable to turn the ball in with Scott smashing a header off the crossbar, a let off for the visitors.
Motherwell had the opportunity to get on the scoresheet again when youngster Jake Hastie played an inviting ball across the box to Shea Gordon, but he was unable to get a touch to turn it goal bound.
Despite the Motherwell’s early chances it was Kilmarnock who would go ahead, Alexander Samizadeh, who caused the Motherwell defence all sorts of problems throughout the game, broke free from Dylan King before managing to smash his shot in off the post just after fifteen minutes which was followed up by an impressive acrobatic celebration.
The game seemed to have calmed down after the Killie goal as both teams looked to create chances but it would be the same scoreline as the teams went into the changing rooms for halftime.
  • Half Time:
  • Motherwell U20s
  • 0-1
  • Kilmarnock U20s
As the teams trundled back out onto the pitch for the second half it seemed as if Motherwell had their spring back and some early pressure paid off when Shaun Bowers nodded the host’s level from a floated ball into the box. Misjudged by the keeper, Bowers didn’t fail in turning it into the net.
It was to be the visitors again who would take the lead; Samizadeh nipped his way to the ball and was brought down by ‘Well defender Barry McGuire just inside the box. To the defenders horror, the referee had no hesitation as he pointed to the spot.
This wasn’t to be the end of the incident though as McGuire was sent packing with a second yellow card after the youngster was protesting the decision much to the despair of the Motherwell bench.
Samizadeh wasted no time with the penalty, sending PJ Morrison the wrong way and dispatching it to the left of the goal, restoring Killie’s lead.
But the hosts were far from done as they remarkably drew the game level again through Jake Hastie, who after taking a touch from Liam Brown’s through ball, hit a composed finish past Keranovic to put the game right back to square one again.
But the action was far from over at the Excelsior Stadium, the blue and white men won a free kick on the edge of the Motherwell box. Step up Jack Paterson who unleashed a rocket which at first glance looked to be a great save from Morrison, but the cruel spin on the ball nestled it just past the post and into the side of the goal to put Kilmarnock in front.
Unimpressed by the decision of the free kick, Brown was shown a second yellow card and dismissed and to top off a miserable afternoon for the Steelmen, Coach Stephen Craigan was sent to the stands as well after a confrontation with the referee.
The ex-Northern Ireland and Motherwell captain watched the remainder of the match from the stands and saw his team crash out of the Scottish Youth Cup in dramatic fashion.
As the ref blew his full-time whistle, emotions ran high on the pitch as the Motherwell players and staff surrounded the referee asking for clarity, the atmosphere in the stand was toxic as well except from the small band of visiting supporters.
Kilmarnock will advance in the competition after taking the scalp of the 2016 Youth Cup winners where they will play Celtic, Hibernian or Aberdeen in the semi-finals.
  • Full Time:
  • Motherwell U20s
  • 3-2
  • Kilmarnock U20s


Motherwell U20s
Kilmarnock U20s
1. PJ Morrison
2. Shaun Bowers
3. Adam Livingstone
4. Dylan King
5. Barry McGuire
6. Jordan Armstrong
7. Shea Gordon
8. David Turnbull
9. James Scott
11. Jake Hastie
13. Robbie Hemfrey
14. Liam Brown
15. Kyle MacDonald
17. Reece McAlear
18. Alfredo Agyeman
1. Jasko Keranovic
2. Kenny Barr
3. Aidan Wilson
4. Thomas Dempsie
5. Ewam McLevy
6. Ursene Mouanda
7. Olly McDonald
8. Alexander Samizadeh
9. Adam Frizzell
10. Innes Cameron
11. Will Graham
12. Ross Miller
14. Daniel Scally
15. Jack Paterson
16. Greg Taylor
17. Josh Walker
Star Player
Motherwell U20s
Kilmarnock U20s
Jake Hastie, at the heart of the defence and is always in about the action. Involved in nearly all the Motherwell chances and even bagged a goal himself.
Alexander Samizadeh, a troublesome character for the Motherwell defence all game. His small, agile frame enabled him to menace the defence which he used to his full advantage for getting his first and for winning a penalty which he then converted for the second.
Magic Moment
Motherwell U20s
Kilmarnock U20s
Motherwell's second goal, despite being behind and down to 10 men, the 'Well still pushed on and they got their reward thanks to a lovely floated in ball making it impossible for Hastie to miss.
The winning goal, an absolute rocket of a strike from the substitute Paterson and although the keeper looked to have saved it, the power and spin on the strike ensured that it would be Kilmarnock that would go through in the cup,
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments