Home My YFS

Hamilton sink Colts thanks to Purdie double

Hamilton Accies 3

McIntyre 38, Purdie 52, 60

Cumbernauld Colts 1

Downs 45
  • Sunday, 22 October 2017
  • Ravenscraig Sports Centre
  • Under 19´s
  • Cumbernauld and Kilsyth League

A double from Christopher Purdie proved to be the difference as Hamilton Accies defeated Cumbernauld Colts in a fiery league meeting at the Ravenscraig.

Cumbernauld kicked off the match and took the first opportunity to try and test the opposition goalkeeper but the strike from Peter Gribbin went wide of the keeper's right post.

There was more to see in terms of a physical contest between the two teams than concrete chances on goal as the early stages of the match unfolded. Possession was evenly shared between both sides and any shots on goal were doing little to test either goalkeeper.

Hamilton were finding more success when they worked the ball from the back, keeping it on the deck rather than playing the long ball. The home side were growing in possession in the final third but each cross into the box was overcooked and missing Stuart McIntyre in the centre of the box.

Cumbernauld made an early substitution on the 16th minute bringing on Andrew Smart for Kieran O'Neill.

Accies had an opportunity when Robert Griffiths burst up the pitch and evaded a slide tackle from the Cumbernauld defender before latching the ball onto Gribbin who was central outside the box. Gribbin had time to tee himself up but his shot missed the target.

The gritty nature of the match began to take its toll when Connor Smith went off injured for Hamilton however he recovered and came back on three minutes later.

Despite being momentarily down to ten men, Accies had an opportunity to take the lead when Purdie won the ball on the edge of the D and curled in a strike that rattled off the topside of the bar and went out of play.

Cumbernauld had a look in when they played a short free kick into the path of Mikey Downs who beat his man and cut inside to strike the ball wide of the keepers right post.

McIntyre got on the end of a cross from Robert Griffiths on the half hour mark but the effort looped over the bar as Ben Punter remained largely untested in the Cumbernauld goal.

With a third of the game gone it was proving to be a tough physical contest with individual battles taking place all over the pitch. Both teams were holding their own even though there was a lack of end product on show at this stage.

Kieran O'Neill had to replace Liam O'Connor for Cumbernauld who picked up a knock. Tensions were rising in the match and the referee had his work cut out diffusing a few potentially hostile situations.

Accies finally found some joy from the right wing on the 38th minute as Lewis Mooney whipped in a perfect cross to the head of McIntyre who glanced the ball over the helpless Punter in goal. The ball nestled into the top left corner as Hamilton took the lead.

Colts would have their chance to reply and they were awarded a penalty just before half time after the Cumbernauld striker was brought down in the area. Downs stepped up to slot the ball home from 12 yards out and bring the game back to a level pegging going into the second period.

  • Half Time:
  • Hamilton Accies
  • 1-1
  • Cumbernauld Colts

The wind picked up a few notches as the second half kicked off and the rare sight of glaring sunshine through the clouds in Motherwell made the conditions a little more difficult for both sides.

Colts took the first chance of the half when Gribbin had a half shot, half cross claimed by Craig Murdoch in the Hamilton goal.

Accies replied soon after as Stewart had a header towards goal saved by Punter.

Jamie Wilson went down injured for Cumbernauld and had to leave the pitch and Accies took advantage of the extra man . O'Connor curled in a cross that was destined for the back post where Purdie made no mistake to nod in from close range. Wilson came back on just after the home side had taken the lead.

Downs took a free kick from just outside the box for Cumbernauld but his effort went right into the arms of Murdoch.

Colts were able to carve Hamilton open down the left flank when a long ball up the wing found the feet of Mitchell Taylor who squared it to Downs who couldn't get his shot away as he was shut down by the Accies defender.

Hamilton doubled their lead on the 60th minute when McIntyre played the ball to Mooney on the edge of the box who was dispossessed. The ball landed to Purdie who guided it into the bottom left corner past the outstretched Punter.

The referee felt fit to reach for his pocket just after the hour as he booked Gribbin for Cumbernauld and Griffiths for Accies as they clashed in the box before a corner. Hamilton decided not to take any chances with their cautioned man and immediately hooked Griffiths for Connor Smith.

Cumbernauld were reduced to ten men on the 70th minute when Jamie Wilson hobbled off the pitch with an injury and they had no subs left to replace him.

It was now and uphill battle for Colts who found themselves two goals and one player down away from home. Accies were making the most of the extra space and Cameron Stewart was given the freedom to make runs down the right wing unchallenged.

Accies had the ball in the net again on 75 minutes but it was rightly ruled out as offside by the referee as they continued to knock on the door looking for the fourth.

Cumbernauld were showing no signs of giving up though and Andrew Smart rattled an ambitious strike from 30 yards out which almost caught Murdoch off guard.

Colts had another chance as Downs sent in a cracking free kick which met the boot of Gribbin and the ball deflected off the knee of the Accies goalkeeper and out of play.

There was a freak incident towards the end as Smart and Stewart pulled up with identical looking injuries at the exact same moment with three minutes left on the clock. Both players left the pitch to receive treatment and the 19 remaining players saw the game out to its conclusion.

Hamilton started the day in 2nd place and continue their impressive start with 22 points from their first ten games. Colts missed the opportunity to climb up the table and remain on ten points with eight games played. 

  • Full Time:
  • Hamilton Accies
  • 3-1
  • Cumbernauld Colts


Hamilton Accies
Cumbernauld Colts
1) Craig Murdoch
3) Christopher Purdie
4) John Rowan
5) Adam McKeown
7) Stuart McIntyre
8) Lewis Mooney
9) David Thomson
10) Cameron Stewart
15) Bradley Seaton
16) Robert Griffiths
18) Connor Smith
20) Jonathon Branks
22) Kieran Craw
1) Ben Punter
3) Thomas Smart
5) Mitchell Taylor
6) Thomas McLaughlin
8) Mikey Downs
9) Peter Gribbin
12) Kieran O'Neill
14) Robbie Hillis
16) Liam O'Connor
17) Jamie Wilson
18) Bailey Hanlon
19) Andrew Smart
Star Player
Hamilton Accies
Cumbernauld Colts
Christopher Purdie scored two goals in quick succession in the second half that ultimately proved to be the difference between the two sides. The first was a demonstration of good goal scoring instinct while the second showed real finesse to beat the keeper from further out.
Mikey Downs was calm under pressure when scoring the penalty and stepped up to take any set pieces in a dangerous area. Scored the only goal for Colts on the day and looked most likely of the team to score a second.
Magic Moment
Hamilton Accies
Cumbernauld Colts
Lewis Mooney nailed a roulette spin around his marker in the middle of the pitch as Hamilton began to dominate the final stages of the match. Zidane would have been proud of that one.
Mikey Downs executed an audacious back heel in mid air to his strike partner Gribbins as Cumbernauld pressed up the field in attack. The move was a success in confusing the opposition defence and Colts were unlucky that it did not pave the way for an attempt on goal.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments