Home My YFS

St Cadocs edge thriller to win West Region Cup

St Cadocs Utd 4

OG 64, Gillies 66, Robertson 68, 76

Rutherglen Glencairn 2

MacDonald 44, Taylor 59
  • Saturday, 03 June 2017
  • Petershill
  • Under 19´s
  • SYFA West Region Cup

After a truly epic final, St Cadocs were the ones celebrating after coming from 2-0 down to win 4-2. 

Apart from the first goal, it was a very quiet first half with both teams doing a very good job in defence.

The first chance for Rutherglen came on the third minute after a short corner from Patrick Canning found Mikey McWilliams on the edge of the box who drilled in a low and hard shot forcing St Cadocs keeper Kalvin Graham to make a sharp save to his left. 

A few minutes later Adam Stoddart was brought down by Luke Kelly outside the box. However, Kieran Boubekri couldn’t keep his shot on target. 

Both teams number three’s (Luke McBeth and Canning) were vital to their respective teams as their crosses in the box often caused mayhem for defenders. 

This was almost the case on the seventeenth minute when Canning crossed in from midfield, but Mark Taylor header over for Rutherglen. 

Just before the half hour mark, some good build up play by St Cadocs was unlucky not to get a goal as a free kick from Michael Blues was crossed into McBeth who headed onto Steven Robertson, but his shot flew just wide. 

Four minutes later, Rutherglen looked certain to take the lead when Matthew McGibbon was through on goal with only the keeper to beat. However, Graham managed to stop the chipped shot and a follow up shot was blocked by St Cadocs defender John Masterson.

Following this it was St Cadocs turn to be one on one with the keeper as Callum MacDonald gave Ronan Gillies the chance to put his side in the lead. However, despite beating David Farrell in goals, his shot bounced off the right-hand post. Gillies did well to chase the ball down and provide a pass through to Stoddart, but his shot was well saved by the Rutherglen keeper. 

With just three minutes of the half remaining you could tell that the game had sprung into life. Some more great build-up play from St Cadocs involving Steven Robertson, Boubekri and Gilles and shot from Robertson was unfortunate not to end in a goal. 

The deadlock was finally broken on the stroke of half time with a ball straight down the middle caught the St Cadocs defence off guard and allowed Mitchell MacDonald to lob the keeper and header into the net. 


  • Half Time:
  • St Cadocs Utd
  • 0-1
  • Rutherglen Glencairn

Two minutes into the second half and St Cadocs were keen to make amends after going behind at the end of the first 45. Stoddart laid the Ball off for Robertson to have a crack at goal, but his shot went just over the bar. 

Mark Taylor for Rutherglen came very close to doubling the lead for the team in black and white as his free kick zipped narrowly wide of the keeper’s right hand post. 

A minute later Taylor emulated the long-range shooting skills of his namesake Matt Taylor and scored an absolute magnificent goal from at least 30 yards into the top right hand corner of the net. Which left keeper Graham stunned as all he could do was watch it fly past him. 

With Rutherglen 2-0 up it seemed that the trophy had slipped away from St Cadocs as they were now very much up against it. However, three goals in nearly just as many minutes completely turned the game on its head. 

Firstly, when McBeth whipped in a wicked ball into the box from a corner Boubekri put enough pressure on the keeper which forced him to fumble the ball into his own net. 

Then yet another delightful ball from McBeth this time from his own half was nodded in by Gillies and just like that St Cadocs were right back in it. 

One minute after that, St Cadocs were awarded a penalty and were presented with the chance to take the lead for the first time in the game.

Michael Blues was taken down in the box by Rutherglen’s Canning and Robertson calmly converted the spot kick to send the keeper the wrong way and set St Cadocos up for winning the cup 

As Rutherglen pushed up field to try and get back into the match, St Cadocs rallied on to ensure that their 2-0 losing deficit was turned into a two-goal cushion. 

Robertson made a mazy run into the box beating several defenders in the process. His first close range was saved by Farrell, but he could only manage to parry the ball straight back to the midfielder who had the simple task of tapping the ball into an empty net.

Both sides shared a few more chances with the last of these coming from Rutherglen through Shaun McBreaty with a chipped effort that landed on the roof of the net and with that the referee blew the final whistle and St Cadocs were awarded the trophy. 


  • Full Time:
  • St Cadocs Utd
  • 4-2
  • Rutherglen Glencairn


St Cadocs Utd
Rutherglen Glencairn
1. Kalvin Graham
3. Luke McBeth
4. Harvinder Singh
6. John Masterson
7. Steven Robertson
8. Callum MacDonald
9. Rowan Gillies
11. Ewan Lewis
12. Reiss McWilliams
14. Paul O'Brien
15. Elliot Graham
17. Blair Murray
19. Michael Blues
20. Adam Stoddart
21. Kieran Boubekri
1. Daniel Farrell
2. Cal Taggart
3. Patrick Canning
4. Scott Clark
5. Connor Baird
6. Matthew McGibbon
7. Mitchell MacDonald
8. Luke Kelly
9. Mikey McWilliams
10. Anthony Coutts
11. Mark Taylor
12. Lewis McLeod
14. Lewis Cameron
15. Shaun McBreaty
Star Player
St Cadocs Utd
Rutherglen Glencairn
Adam Stoddart Despite Steven Robertson also putting in a fantastic performance by getting two goals for his side, Stoddart was undoubtedly the best player on the pitch as he past players with ease and without him it would have been very difficult to predict a St Cadocs comeback. His ability to cut in from the right flank with pace dazzled the defence and the fans watching in the stand.
Mark Taylor Being well built, Taylor was able to dominate opposition players off the ball and led the Rutherglen attack for most of the game. Scored a possible contender for goal of the season which had the keeper staring into the abyss as there was nothing he could do to keep out Taylor’s well hit shot. Unlucky to be on the losing side and on another day Rutherglen would have taken the cup home.
Magic Moment
St Cadocs Utd
Rutherglen Glencairn
Three goals in just as may minutes had the crowd glued to the action as you literally couldn’t take your eye off the game for a second. The quick turnaround was a testament to the players unwillingness to be beaten on cup final day and overall they did more than enough to be crowned the 2017 West Region Cup winners.
Taylor’s superb strike fired Rutherglen into a two – nil lead and not many would have predicted what happened next. For the majority of the game they beat St Cadocs in most areas of the park, but this wasn’t enough to bring the cup back to Rutherglen as their hard work was sadly outdone by three minutes of madness.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments