Print this page

Harmony Row seal treble with 4-2 win over Hillwood in West Region cup final

Hillwood 2

Harty 3, Stewart 72

Harmony Row 4

Drennan 35, Seagrave 48, Gibson 62, Seagrave 88

Harmony Row Under 17s produced a spectacular performance to defeat Hillwood 4-2 to lift the West Region Cup final on Saturday at Petershill Park.

They produced a powerful performance throughout this cup final, with only a thunderstorm after the hour mark halting their efficient performance.

It was typified by the energy shown by Harmony's Thomas Seagrave up front, who dazzled with his direct running and clever link-up play in the final third that really set the catalyst for a terrific team performance.

However, despite that, they failed to turn up in the first few minutes and were ruthlessly punished.

Thomas Harty was sent clean through on goal through the middle of the Harmony backline and tucked a superb finish away when one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

Credit must go to HR for how they responded, as they refused to allow the goal to unsettle their rhythm on the ball. Some of the football they played in the midfield was impressive, as Charlie Freedman and Kenny Duffy in particular were really grabbing the game by the scruff of the neck.

Yet for all of HR’s composure in the midfield, at times it wasn’t there defensively. In the first 20 minutes they lost the ball in their own defensive third through a lack of composure and it threatened to cost them on a couple of occasions. However you must credit Hillwood for their strong pressing in the final third, and they made a game of it throughout the contest regardless of times when it threatened to run away from them.

Harmony soon got their act together defensively though, and started to combine extremely well in the final third.

An acrobatic effort from Seagrave went well over before Duffy blasted well over for HR as they turned the screw.

A clever passing move again got into the Hillwood final third, but Seagrave’s tame effort was easily saved by the goalkeeper.

Freedman was controlling the midfield in the middle, whilst Seagrave continued to cause Hillwood no end of problems with his endless energy.

Hillwood were getting occasional joy down both flanks, but despite some terrific crosses from Harty and Kyle McAvoy, there were no takers all too often.

The equaliser had always looked likely as the half wore on, and it deservedly came.

Just moments after Ross MacKenzie had nodded wide after some nervous goalkeeping from Hillwood, a long ball was sent in Seagrave’s direction, who nodded down for Chrissy Drennan to run on to and dispatch beyond the Hillwood goalkeeper.

Harmony Row continued to dominate towards the end of the half, winning all the aerial duels in the midfield.

Seagrave continued to be a menace in the final third, and he breezed away down the left on two occasions – one being touched goal-bound by a Hillwood defender before being sensationally clawed away by Daniel Lockie.

Harmony came out in the second half and continued to dominate the game. Both sides came to pass the ball and play good football, but there was such an efficiency about how Harmony went about their business in the midfield.

They got their rewards of an early goal when that man Seagrave seized on a loose ball in the final third, drove forward, and curled an accurate low strike into the bottom right-hand corner.

Hillwood really picked up their own tempo in the second half and were determined in their tackling, but they were really struggling to cope with the power and aggression that Haeomy were showing throughout the game.

Seagrave again showed his aerial prowess when he nodded on for Freedman, but his poke went wide after being pressured by the on-rushing Hillwood goalkeeper.

It was no surprise however when the third goal came just after the hour. Freedman and Seagrave combined superbly to release Rowan Gibson down the left, who drove into the box and unleashed a high strike into the top of the net.

Credit to Hillwood for their response though. A long punt forward was poorly headered by Harmony's Daniel O’Neill, and Jason Stewart latched onto it and buried his strike opportunistically.

Unfortunately, the young striker was hurt in the process and had to go off injured.

Harmony were never unsettled by the comeback which threatened to occur though. They remained dominant on the ball.

A downpour midway into the half meant that the pitch soaked up and it didn’t lead to glamorous football, but Harmony continued to win the individual battles in the midfield.

The game threatened to fade out with nothing happening, but a fourth would arrive for Harmony. Cameron Clark was given his marching orders for Hillwood for a poor challenge, and MacKenzie delivered a superb cross for Seagrave to bullet a header home and seal a deserved brace in a deserved cup win for HR.

Hillwood were just unfortunate on the day as they couldn’t make the most of the chances they got down the flanks. They can be extremely proud of their run to the cup final though, as they’ve been a credit to their club throughout - none more so than their incredible 5-0 win over Giffnock Thistle in the semi-final.



Harmony Row
1. Daniel Lockie
2. Darren Black
3. Cameron Clark
4. Oliver Tobin
5. Abdi Abubakar
6. Jordan Kizito
7. Lee Campbell
8. Jack Mitchell
9. Jason Stewart
10. Andrew Rhoddie
11. Luke McMullan
12. Connor Little
14. Finlay Scott
15. Kyle McAvoy
17. Thomas Harty
72. Ross Stoddart
1. Matthew Boyle
2. James Thomson
3. Greg Murphy
4. Nathan Hewitt
5. Daniel O'Neill
6. Reece Johnston
7. Kenny Duffy
8. Ross MacKenzie
9. Lewis Carey
10. Rowan Gibson
11. Daniel McManus
14. Robbie Lennon
16. Charlie Freedman
17. Chrissy Drennan
19. Connor Gunn
20. Thomas Seagrave
Star Player
Harmony Row
Thomas Harty. Tried to make his side spark with some positive play and good energy on the ball, but Hillwood were just overpowered on the day.
Thomas Seagrave. He typified everything good about Harmony Row. His energy and desire to be on the ball meant he was a terrific outlet for his team all game. He had a clinical brace and showed tremendous technique throughout, including a wonderful attempt at an overhead kick that he just mis-connected with. Very unlucky not to go to 16 or 8 who were also extremely impressive.
Magic Moment
Harmony Row
They started the game with a purpose and showed their clinical edge when they took the lead just minutes after kick-off from Harty.
The third goal was just total football. Terrific link-up play between Freedman and Seagrave had the Hillwood defence bamboozled whilst Gibson ghosted in for a through ball that he buried with aplomb.

Latest from David Walton

Related items

Login to post comments