Home My YFS

Queens see off Partick in City of Glasgow Cup tie

Queens Park FC 4

Mooney (2), Grant, McLaughlin

Partick Thistle 1

  • Friday, 09 December 2016
  • Lochinch Playing Field
  • Under 20´s
  • City of Glasgow Cup

Gillen Reid | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

A cold wet evening in Lochinch Playing Fields provided the stage for a City of Glasgow Cup clash between Queens Park and Partick Thistle. The conditions were perfect for both side’s youngsters to put their talent on display. 

Queens Park gained the upper hand in the opening few minutes, showing tidy and patient football, Partick on the other hand offered a much more physical threat. Thistle adopted a 3-5-2 formation throughout the first half, a tactic that seems to be prominent throughout the majority of their age groups.

It was Queens who drew first blood, when an angled pass was fired into the feet of Arron Mooney who raced down the inside left channel, cut inside to beat the central defender, and slotted the ball underneath the ‘keeper to open the scoring for the away side.

The physical aspect of the game was very much present, collisions and meaty challenges constantly on the table, although the referee clearly tried to allow the game to flow, despite having to deal with a high number of fouls.

Queens 4-2-3-1 shape proved to be a handful for the Thistle group, and their high-energy style and constant pressing was proving a real thorn in the side of Thistle, who really struggled to create clear-cut chances as a result.

The second goal was a result of this pressing, with the lively Arron Black chasing, harrying, and making life uncomfortable for Partick’s players. A stray ball kindly dropped to centre forward Ronan McLauchlin, who found himself with time and space, and he calmly volleyed home to make it 2-0 to Queens.

Eventually the ball found itself into the Queens half, providing an opportunity for Thistle to get themselves back into the cup-tie. Thistle pressed with intent in the closing stages of the first 45, Gallasso giving everything to drag his team away from defeat. They couldn’t find their goal before half-time though, despite Grainger, Last and Galasso all combining well in possession, and using their width to attack Queens.

The cup-tie very much became a back and forth affair until James Grant, who was often the creative outlet for Queens, regained possession in the centre and angled a pass out to the lightning fast Mooney. Just as before, he cut inside and slid the ball across to Black, who smashed home to put his team three goals to the good, and dampen the spirits of the Thistle team. 

  • Half Time:
  • Queens Park FC
  • 3-0
  • Partick Thistle

The half-time team talks had clearly had some sort of effect, a frantic start to the first half forced the referee to issue a smattering of yellow cards in an attempt to tame the fiery atmosphere. The Thistle coaches had little option but to re-think their tactic, abandoning their usual shape in favour of a 4-1-4-1, to try and claw back the deficit.

Queens started the first half the more conservative of the two, appearing unsure whether to hold out for the lead and keep it quiet, or increase the margin between them and Partick.

One thing that Queens did maintain was their high pressing, and it paid off handsomely once again. Ronan McLauchin, who was turning in an inspired performance, again pressed hard and got into a tangle with Partick’s midfield, forcing them to losing possession. The loose ball fell to the feet of Grant, who rifled home beyond the goalkeeper, putting the cup-tie beyond doubt.

 At 4-0 up Queens seemed to be satisfied to keep the score as it was, choosing to sit back and break on the counter. Thistle suddenly sprung into life in the closing stages, despite the game being beyond their reach. Spells of possession led to free kicks and crosses, but they still lacked that attacking intent.

Thistle gained a consolation goal after their hard work, but it was a case of too little too late for Partick, still to see their first point in one of the oldest tournaments in the world. 

Round 6 will pit these two teams against the Old Firm, after the entertainment this tie offered, there should be some fireworks on show.

  • Full Time:
  • Queens Park FC
  • 4-1
  • Partick Thistle


Queens Park FC
Partick Thistle
1. Elliot Anderson
2. Luke McColl
3. Cameron Dickson
4. Lewis McGhee
5. Anthony McGuire
6. Declan Walsh
7. Arron Black
8. James Grant
9. Ronan McLaughlin
10. Andy McLaughlin
11. Arron Mooney
12. Ryan Lindsay
14. Nick McAlistair
15. Michael Ruth
16. Ross Paton
17. Jordan Citchley
18. Lee Whitmore
20. Lewis Sanderson
1. Jack Livesey
2. Lee Duncanson
3. Ian Last
4. Edin Lynch
5. Harry Grainger
6. Gio Vezza
7. Aidan Fitzpatrick
8. Anton Eadie
9. Dakota King
10. Paul Smith
11. Evan Galasso
12. Adam Moss
14. Dylan Coll
15. Andy Rodden
16. Jordan Kemoe
21. Kieran Bell
Star Player
Queens Park FC
Partick Thistle
Ronan McLaughlin did a superb job as a lone striker, holding the ball up well, and grabbing himself a goal.
Evan Galasso looked like Thistle's biggest threat in a game to forget.
Magic Moment
Queens Park FC
Partick Thistle
Queens first goal by Mooney was a well worked move and set the tone for the game.
Thistle's consolation goal was their only bright spark of the tie.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments