Home My YFS

Quick-fire second half raid seals West win

West 5

Coyle 2', Corbett 45', McNaught 46', 51', McBrearty 65'

Central 1

Miller 3'
  • Friday, 26 February 2016
  • St Ambrose High School
  • Under 16´s
  • SYFA Inter-Regional Trophy

Simon Ritchie | YFS West Region Reporter
Articles by Author | Contact Author

West Region romped to victory in the SYFA Inter-Regional Trophy on Friday night with a 5-1 victory over Central that was nowhere near as one-sided or convincing as the scoreline suggests.
Early goals from Reece Coyle and Callum Miller put the teams level at half-time, but Central fell apart for a short spell in the second half, allowing Craig Corbett and Kai McNaught to grab three goals between them and put West out of sight. A mix-up at the back compounded Central’s misery with Conor McBrearty walking into the net to round it off.
The game started at a frenetic pace and it was 1-1 before either side had a chance to breathe. Instant pressure from West put Central on the back foot and won a free-kick on the edge of the box. Coyle’s effort looked to be going wide to the keeper’s right but it hit the last man in the wall and took a wicked deflection into the opposite corner. 
West barely had no time to enjoy the lead as Central forced a corner down the left, with Max Cassidy’s ball in headed home unchallenged by Miller.
Some of the parents hadn’t even yet left the warmth of their cars to watch their boys play and there had already been two goals.
Unfortunately for them, the rest of the half couldn’t match the excitement of the opening three minutes, with neither side retaining possession well. The game was a constant procession of misplaced passes, over-hit through balls, and niggly challenges stopping the flow of the match.
Central twice almost put Jake Coulter through on goal with balls over the top, but on the first occasion he was forced wide and his cross went behind, and on the second he was denied by a brave stop from keeper Stephen Mooney at his feet.
A rare neat bit of passing and moving from Dylan Whitten and Corbett slipped Rowan Gibson through one-on-one with the Central goalie but he lacked composure and drilled his shot wide.
Central came closest of the lot near the end of the half when a free-kick curled in from the left was headed on by Jordan Hutchison and struck the far post, with Mooney eventually claiming the ball after a goal line scramble.
  • Half Time:
  • West
  • 1-1
  • Central
Having ended the first half the brighter, Central came out all guns blazing in the second and it looked for the first time like we had a real football team on the pitch. Almost straight from kick off, Jay Tobin found Coulter who struck a curling shot from the edge of the box that clipped the top of the bar on its way over.
Then Max Cassidy’s swerving free-kick looked to have almost deceived the keeper before he tipped it over the bar. The pressure was relentless and the West players couldn’t string two passes together, and remained camped on the edge of their own box. In quick succession, Tobin, Coulter, and Miller all had shots blocked in and around the penalty area by some last ditch West defending.
But it paid off. 
Incredibly, despite having barely touched the ball for the opening five minutes of the half, six minutes after that West were 4-1 up. 
A quick counter-attack down the right wing by Gibson and McBrearty ended with Corbett bundling home from the edge of the six-yard box. It came out of nothing but West were just getting started. Barely a minute later, Greg Murphy played the pass of the match through the Central back line, cutting them to shreds and giving McNaught the opportunity to get a shot away which he took with aplomb, a cracking effort that curled away from keeper Rob Black and just inside the post. 
There was some brief respite for Central when Miller forced a corner with a header from Daniel Burrow’s free kick, but West countered with a direct, driving run from McBrearty down the left wing that led to a penalty when he was chopped down in the box. McNaught stepped up to make it four, rolling it into the corner past the motionless Black. 
The game was turned on its head by that incredible wee spell and it could have been worse for Central who were saved on one occasion by a great tackle from centre-half Steven Kyle.
Before too long, both teams returned to misplacing passes and struggling to make any real attacking moves. But the difference between the sides now was the work rate of West who chased and harried constantly around the Central defence, which completely prevented them from building up from the back. It eventually led to the fifth goal as a defensive mix up was capitalised on by McBrearty who thoroughly deserved a goal for his performance.
West played out the rest of the match without any real defensive concerns of their own and claimed a resounding result.
  • Full Time:
  • West
  • 5-1
  • Central


1. Declan Tinney
3. Jacob Devine
4. Joe Hartley
5. Ronnie Mcluskey
7. Matthew Coyle
8. Christopher McLeod
9. Kai McNaught
11. Lennon Houston
12. Daniel Rasa
14. Rowan Gibson
16. Reece Coyle
17. Conor McBrearty
18. Greg Murphy
19. Craig Corbett
20. Dylan Whitten
21. Stephen Mooney
1. Rob Black
2. Alex Miller
3. Jordan Hutchison
5. Steven Kyle
6. Daniel Burrow
7. Max Cassidy
8. Callum Miller
9. Jake Coulter
10. Jay Tobin
11. Daniel McDonald
12. Robbie Brydon
15. Ben Fitzpatrick
16. Craig Horner
17. Aaron Armstrong
21. Adam Grier
22. Adil Ali
Star Player
Reece Coyle. He may have had a huge stoke of luck with the opening goal, but he put in an imposing performance in the middle of the pitch. Sharp and creative, he wasn't afraid to get involved in the other side of the game and he stopped Central from getting plays going by nipping around their heels for the full match.
Jake Coulter. It wasn't to be his night up top but Coulter was a constant danger and threat. If things had went differently during Central's spell on top just before and after the break, it could have been a much better night for Coulter.
Magic Moment
Greg Murphy's delicious through ball for Kai McNaught took out the Central midfield, and a good part of the defence, allowing McNaught the time to hit an inch perfect shot that curled away from the keeper and just inside the post. A piece of magic on a dour night.
Losing a goal within two minutes could easily have crumbled Central but they fought back and were on level terms instantly. Max Cassidy's cross was headed home by Callum Miller who placed it perfectly back across the goal and into the top corner.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments