Home My YFS

Wolves storm past KSC Barca in second half goal deluge

KSC Barca 0

Wolves BC 7

Harvey 14' 66' McDonald 42' 57' Mackie 59' 63' Paton 64'
  • Saturday, 05 December 2015
  • Kilwinning Sports Club
  • Under 14´s
  • Scottish Youth FA Cup, Fourth Round

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

This tie finally got the go ahead at the third weekend of asking at Kilwinning Sports Club, as Wolves simply overwhelmed KSC to book a safe passage to the next round. Swirling winds and driving rain were a real hindrance to both sides, and yet the visitors from Rutherglen produced a dominant display throughout to finally make the most numerous chances created.
Despite this there may have been visiting concerns at half time, as for all the opportunities created Wolves had only established a one goal advantage. The outcome would only be confirmed in the game’s closing 20 minutes as the floodgates finally opened and the visitors drove home their advantage.
Wolves set the pattern from the outset, pressing high and laying siege to Dylan Jackson’s goal. After five minutes chaos ensued in the KSC box, with defender Joe McDonald a constant danger in the box from set piece deliveries. In the ongoing scramble Kane Paton’s shot just inched narrowly wide.
The visitors’ intent was clear, with Barca penned in deep and struggling to break out. Keigan Thomas shot narrowly over after a good midfield move as Wolves continued to look the sharper, before his side opened the scoring on 14 minutes.
And it was a fine passing move. Micka Weldredge split the KSC defence asunder to put Paul Harvey clean through to beat Jackson from close range.
Three minutes later Wolves were almost further ahead as Micka Weldridge closed down a pass in midfield and burst through on goal to shoot narrowly wide. Weldridge’s runs up front continued to cause difficulties, but for all that KSC somehow remained in the game at only a goal down.
The home side’s only ray of hope came in a five minute spell running up to half time, as Fraser McQueen and Lewis Gunn’s runs got them up the pitch to gain respite, but despite this KSC struggled to create any gilt edged goal opportunities.
  • Half Time:
  • KSC Barca
  • 0-1
  • Wolves BC
Wolves were only one on top as the second half began, and the coaches would have reinforced to their players that games have been lost from here. They sought a more clinical edge to put this game beyond doubt, and it duly arrived from the set piece on 42 minutes.
Ben McKee swung a curling free kick in from the right side of KSC’s box, and McDonald found himself free in the box to head home from close range to double the advantage.
The visitors still passed up a few chances before finally putting the match beyond KSC’s clutches. Declan Harley had a shot well saved by Jackson on 50 minutes, and Luke Mackie couldn’t find a finishing touch after Jamie Hendry had rounded Jackson in the box.
The third goal had a sense of inevitability about it, and arrived on 57 minutes, with Mackie first to react in the box, dashing on to a long throw in from the right flank, to score from close range. Wolves were now on the hunt for more goals as the KSC heads began to drop in the torrid conditions.
Two minutes later and it was four, with McDonald helping himself to his second of the game, as he bundled home from Mackie’s left hand corner delivery. And Mackie then grabbed his second 4 minutes later, as the score line began to reflect the run of the ball, rushing on to a high ball to beat Jackson from inside the box.
KSC just had not come up with answer, and couldn’t create opportunities for McQueen and Gunn, who cut frustrated, isolated players up front throughout. A good interchange between these two and Joe Harrison in midfield almost had Hendry through on the hour mark as Barca sought some consolation.
But a difficult day got worse on 64 minutes, as Paton got himself among the goals in spectacular style, to cap a dominant midfield display. From the 25 yard set piece his shot curled past Jackson into the KSC net for number six.
KSC would probably been happy for the referee to blow for full time but Wolves had not finished the scoring. The rout was finally complete as Harvey grabbed his second of the game, lashing high into the net following a delightful piece of skill to beat his opponent.
The Rutherglen side march on to the next round where they will be formidable opponents. KSC were no match for them in difficult conditions, and can point to a lack of match practice in recent weeks. They will be hoping to establish a run of games and make up games in hand as they continue a promising league challenge at home to Coylton next weekend.
  • Full Time:
  • KSC Barca
  • 0-7
  • Wolves BC


KSC Barca
Wolves BC
1. Dylan Jackson
2. Robbie Lynch
3. Fraser Anderson
4. Elliot Stewart
5. Joe Harrison
6. Mason Raeside
7. Lee Sproul
8. Aiden Richardson
9. Fraser McQueen
10. Glenn Hyslop
11. Lewis Gunn
12. Jack Palmer
13. Lewis Stewart
14. Jay McManus
15. Lewis Kilmarnock
16. Kyle Rennie
1. Jay Allison
2. Daryl Callaghan
3. Myles McLeish
4. Ben McKee
5. Joe McDonald
6. Declan Harley
7. Paul Harvey
8. Keigan Thomas
9. Micka Weldridge
10. Kane Paton
11. Jamie Hendry
12. Luke Mackie
15. Thomas Meechin
16. Lee Duguid
17. Lee Dempsey
Star Player
KSC Barca
Wolves BC
Lewis Gunn - Kept running and trying to push his side up the pitch on a difficult day for his side.
Kane Paton - Ran the show in midfield, laying on a perfect ball for Harvey's opener, and scoring a spectacular free kick
Magic Moment
KSC Barca
Wolves BC
Jackson pulled off a fine stop from Declan Harley as KSC tried to hold the visitors at bay.
Paton's inch perfect through ball for the opener gave Wolves the perfect start.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments