Home My YFS

City 17's edge final against rivals Celtic

Glasgow City FC 3

Crawford 29' Earley 57' OG 62'

Celtic 1

McDonald 47'
  • Sunday, 15 November 2015
  • Toryglen
  • 17's Girls
  • SWF Youth Cup Final

Mark Gillespie | YFS North Ayrshire Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author [email protected]

It was always going to be a tight encounter as these two city rivals battled for the SWF under 17 Cup at Toryglen, and with very little between the sides it all boiled down to Glasgow’s more clinical edge from set pieces, as they went on to retain the trophy with a hard fought victory.
With so much at stake this was a tight midfield battle from the off, in an opening half hour of few clear cut chances. Glasgow sought to seize the early initiative in the game’s opening exchanges, with Annie Earley’s free kick giving Celtic keeper Aoife Bradley a first comfortable save.
After 15 minutes the Celtic Girls slowly started to settle into the match, with the pace of Abby Callaghan stretching the Glasgow defence. Callaghan’s surging run down the left put Celtic back on the front foot, and Kaela McDonald had the first Celtic attempt at goal, firing just over the bar on 17 minutes.
Both sides continued to cancel each other out, as the Glasgow defence snuffed out the pace of Celtic’s forward trio of Callaghan, Nicole Cairney and Jamie Lee Napier. City meanwhile kept up the pressure at the other end, with Brogan Hay and Katie Gardner Rice providing encouraging runs from midfield.
It was going to take something special to unlock this match though and Rice provided the spark on 29 minutes to lay the ball on for City’s opener. After a quick turn down the right hand side of the box she found space and time to centre the ball to Lyndsay McCall, and her shot was diverted into the net by Olivia Crawford.
The goal sparked a quick Celtic response, with Napier moved into a more central attacking possession as they sought a cutting edge. Callaghan’s headed effort was cleared off the Glasgow line on 22 minutes, and one minute later Leah Eddie struck the woodwork from an edge of the box free kick.
The Celtic side went on to enjoy a good spell of possession without creating any further gilt edged opportunities. Glasgow held their shape well, with the hard working midfield of Crawford and Rice keeping them up the pitch as they closed out the half.
  • Half Time:
  • Glasgow City FC
  • 1-0
  • Celtic
It was a game still firmly in the balance as the second half began. City were good value for their lead, with Celtic searching for the keys to unlock a stubborn defence. As the second half began the answer seemed to come from midfield as they moved more purposefully and encouraged McDonald to make more runs into the box from midfield.
And she timed one to perfection to get her side back level on 47 minutes, as she got on the end of Cairney’s delivery from the right to loop high past Erin Clachers in the Glasgow goal. This knife edge encounter was well and truly back in the balance.
Glasgow were shaken by the equaliser in the five minutes after conceding, as they struggled to clear lines and Celtic Girls pressed forward, sensing their moment. The cup holders though hung on, with Rice instrumental in driving her team mates up the pitch and getting City back in front on 57 minutes.
Rice chased down a ball down the right hand side of the Celtic box, and won a free kick. Her inch perfect delivery to the far post found Earley who nodded home from close range.
The game was to turn decisively in this five minute spell. Celtic were chasing the game again, and Napier had a spectacular long range effort tipped over the bar on 59 minutes. City then went up the other end to establish a vital two goal cushion.
Arlene Carr chased the ball down the left flank, winning the corner. Again, Celtic were undone by the set piece delivery as Carr’s close range shot was deflected in off Celtic’s Nicole Cameron.
Glasgow’s greater set piece threat was the difference between the sides, as they went on to play some good possession football and consolidate their lead. Celtic kept plugging away meanwhile, with McDonald and Callaghan firing just over with late opportunities. Napier had one final effort from long range as the clock ticked down.
It was to be City’s day though, as they celebrated a hard fought win with their fans, and not even a fire alarm in Toryglen could dampen their spirits as they enjoy a perfect end to their season.
  • Full Time:
  • Glasgow City FC
  • 3-1
  • Celtic


Glasgow City FC
1. Erin Clachers
8. Olivia Crawford
5. Murron Cunningham
6. Kirsty Fraser
17. Danielle Gallagher
3. Chloe Gilfoyle
13. Brogan Hay
18. Marianne Macdonald
10. Lyndsay McCall
16. Aimee McGourlick
15. Katie Gardner Rice
17. Lynsey Carlyle
14. Arlene Carr
12. Annie Earley
21. Carys Hopkins
4. Chantelle Knox
7. Zoe Lamont
2. Rebecca Welsh
16. Lindsey Blues
3. Ciara Bonner
4. Brogan Molloy
22. Leah Eddie
24. Nicole Cameron
8. Kaela McDonald
25. Shannon Nagle
71. Abby Callaghan
9. Nicole Cairney
10. Jamie-Lee Napier
1. Aoife Bradley
26. Emma Donnelly
23. Katie Frew
14. Hannah Fulton
7. Fern Newbigging
2. Colby Shaw
11. Hannah Mary Stewart
Star Player
Glasgow City FC
Katie Rice - Drove her team forward, laying on her side's opener.
Kaela McDonald - Was the key to unlocking a dogged Glasgow defence, and got Celtic briefly back in the match.
Magic Moment
Glasgow City FC
Glasgow's third goal pushed the game beyond Celtic's reach and sealed victory.
McDonald's well taken equaliser that restored parity.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments