Home My YFS

Glasgow City come from behind to beat Hibees

Glasgow City FC 3

Morrison 39' McCall 41' Welsh 60'

Hibernian Girls FC 1

Smith 15'
  • Sunday, 04 October 2015
  • Kilwinning Sports Centre
  • 17's Girls
  • SWF Girls’ Scottish Cup

Simon Ritchie | YFS West Region Reporter
Articles by Author | Contact Author

A determined Glasgow City came from behind to beat Hibs 3-1 and progress to the final of the SWF Cup. 
Mhari Smith's opener had given Hibs the lead within 15 minutes, but an Aimee Morrison header just before the break, and goals from Lyndsay McCall and substitute Rebecca Welsh in the second half gave City the victory in a pulsating encounter at Kilwinning Sports Centre.
It was City who started brightest, Annie Early and Olivia Crawford combining to get the ball into the Hibernian box. A massive scramble ensued and Arlene Carr's effort was blocked, with Hibs defending in numbers. 
Hibs first attack was foiled by a great tackle from Chloe Gilfoyle on Caitlin Ross before Kirsty Jeffries fired the loose ball over.
The opening 15 was a tight affair, a fantastic diagonal ball from City's Katie Gardner Rice at left-back over to Crawford released the winger to fire a shot just wide while under pressure from a defender, only for Hibs to then put away the opener up the other end. Strong play by Shannon McNamara in the centre of the pitch gave her the room to play a through ball for Smith who dragged the keeper to the near post and fired a shot back across her, off the post and in.
With not a lot between the teams it was a heavy blow for City but they responded in the right manner. Danielle Gallagher hitting a speculative effort from the left wing that almost caught the backpedaling Whitney McMahon out in the Hibs goal, but it dropped just wide of the far post.
City keeper Erin Clachers had a scary moment of her own when Jeffries closed her down as she went to make a clearance but the ball rebounded off the advancing striker and went harmlessly by.
Early for City was sitting in the defensive midfield role and picking passes forward, while Lyndsay McCall was dropping deep up front to make it a packed City midfield as they aimed to boss Hibs in the middle third. 
Ross came up against Gilfoyle again and once more it was the City defender who came up trumps, with another solid defensive block. Then Jeffries and Smith were stopped by Rice as the City defence held firm in a bid to prevent Hibs from stretching their lead.
The defensive work paid off as City grabbed a goal of their own a minute before the break. Crawford's cross from the right-wing looked perfect for Lynsey Carlyle to knock home at the back post but she took a touch and the defence were quick to close her down before McCall eventually got a shot off that was saved by the keeper for a corner. McCall's deep corner was headed back across goal by Crawford and Morrison was in the perfect place to head it home into the centre of the goal.
Buoyed by the goal, City almost grabbed the lead before the break under similar circumstances. Another corner and this time Crawford headed for goal herself, only to see it hooked clear off the goal line brilliantly by Megan Reilly. It would have been sickening for Hibs to go in behind at half-time after leading just two minutes before so it was a timely clearance.
The sides went in even at half-time and it was hard to argue with that. Both sides with chances but it was a closely matched contest played in good spirits. 
  • Half Time:
  • Glasgow City FC
  • 1-1
  • Hibernian Girls FC
Tactical changes in the second half for City saw Early drop back into defence with Marianne MacDonald stepping forward into midfield and McCall took up a more offensive position, and it only took two minutes for the changes to pay off in unusual circumstances. 
After winning a corner, McCall sent in an inswinger that deceived everyone and went straight in off the underside of the bar. It was a great curling effort that didn't leave McMahon with any chance of getting to it. Another goal from a set-piece after they'd given Hibs a warning about what they could do with them at the end of the first-half.
Incredibly, Hibs almost repeated the trick with a corner of their own but Ria McCafferty's effort struck the top of the bar. 
Glasgow had their tails up however and Megan Kerr made a good tackle on an advancing McCall, who caught Hibs on their heels with the resulting corner, taking it quick to Murron Cunningham who hit a first time shot narrowly wide.
Early showed her ability at centre back with two blocks on Smith in quick succession as Hibs chased the game. Olivia Murphy, the Hibs right back, was also having a good game, bounding up and down the wing while always being solid defensively. 
Clachers saved well at the feet of Smith from Macnamara's through ball, with Turner blazing the rebound over, but Hibs came even closer through Jeffries who held off her marker and struck the crossbar then knocked the rebound narrowly over under pressure.
But just as Hibs were turning the screw and looked like getting the equaliser, they were hit with a sucker punch. They failed to clear their lines and McCall galloped across the edge of the box and slipped in to substitute Welsh, who was just on the park, and, in a carbon copy of the Hibs opener, she dragged the goalie to the near post and fired it back across her and into the back of the net. Daylight for City, 3-1.
It proved to be the killer blow for the Hibees and reinvigorated City who had looked on the verge of letting their lead slip began to boss proceedings. Welsh could have doubled her tally were it not for a great block by Kerr. Then Rice brought out two diving stops from McMahon, first high to her right, then down at her near post. 
Hibs couldn't find away back into the match and their cup run comes to a close at the semi-final stage, despite a spirited performance, particularly in the first half where they might have stretched their lead and made it a different match. 
Glasgow City advance to the final with a fine showing, particularly considering they went behind to an early goal. The determination and grit they showed will serve them well in their final against Hearts.
  • Full Time:
  • Glasgow City FC
  • 3-1
  • Hibernian Girls FC


Glasgow City FC
Hibernian Girls FC
1. Erin Clachers
2. Rebecca Welsh
3. Chloe Gilfoyle
4. Chantelle Knox
5. Murron Cunningham
6. Kirsty Fraser
7. Zoe Lamont
8. Olivia Crawford
10. Lyndsay McCall
12. Annie Early
14. Arlene Carr
15. Katie Gardner Rice
17. Lynsey Carlyle
18. Marianne Macdonald
21. Carys Hopkins
1. Whitney McMahon
2. Morgan Turner
3. Olivia Murphy
4. Megan Reilly
5. Nicola Waddell
7. Caitlin Ross
8. Niamh Mullen
9. Kirsty Jefferies
10. Mhari Smith
11. Chloe Sinclair
12. Shannon Troup
14. Ria McCafferty
15. Shannon McNamara
17. Megan Kerr
101. Lauryn Hynd
Star Player
Glasgow City FC
Hibernian Girls FC
Lyndsay McCall (Midfield) - With two assists and a spectacular goal, it has to be Lyndsay McCall for City. She helped dictate play from the middle of the park, as well as causing havoc with her set plays.
Megan Kerr - Worked tirelessly for Hibs all over the pitch, and was the spark for Hibs all day
Magic Moment
Glasgow City FC
Hibernian Girls FC
Taking the lead through McCall's sublime corner was the highlight of the match. While normally a goal like that would be the fault of the goalkeeper, this was unsaveable.
The Hibs opener was a supremely well taken finish from Smith, perfectly placed in the far corner away from the goalie.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments