Home My YFS

South East take U16 SYFA Inter Regional Cup after fine performance

SYFA South East 3

Polson 15, Dawson 68, Richardson 75

SYFA South West 1

Dempsey 25,
  • Sunday, 27 April 2014
  • Toryglen Regional Football Centre
  • Under 16´s
  • Inter Regional Cup

Ameen Rabanni | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Scottish Youth Football Association South East were crowned champions of the Under-16 SYFA Inter Regional Cup following a 3-1 victory over SYFA South West in the final at Toryglen. 
South East started the better, taking the game to South West with Murray Rose testing Dylan Jackson in the opening exchanges with a rasping drive from 25 yards. A few moments later, winger Robbie Polson dribbled his way to the by-line and sent a fine cross across goal which evaded everyone as South East turned up the pressure.  
Polson was involved soon after as South East took a deserved lead; a cross from the right was flicked on by Kyle Hunter and Polson anticipated the touch, getting in front of his marker and despite his initial effort being saved by Jackson, he was alert to tap in the rebound.  
South East were back in the opposition area and a double chance presented itself to Hunter; first he scuffed his volley wide of the mark then saw his snap-shot from close range brilliantly cleared off the line by Darrell Cotton. 
South West responded brightly and made their way up the pitch. Their effort was rewarded with a penalty for a trip in the box; Fraser Dempsey stepped up and remained composed under pressure to equalise. 
Despite the leveller, South East were still on top with Polson causing a lot of havoc and he put another tremendous floated delivery towards the back post. It was initially cleared by Jay Anderson, but it wasn't enough as Cameron Dawson headed into the empty net on the second attempt.  
When South West did get forward, they looked menacing and almost took the lead in spectacular fashion with a stunning strike by Ryan Strian whose half-volley from 30 yards crashed off the bar and as Conner Cunningham looked to follow it up, Patrick Martin reacted well to stop the shot from close range.  
Before half-time there were a few more efforts of note including Dawson's long range strike which drifted wide and Polson found space in the box but couldn't control his shot which ended up over the bar.
  • Half Time:
  • SYFA South East
  • 1-1
  • SYFA South West
After the interval, the game became more even as both sides looked to take control and assert pressure on each other. South West came flying out the traps, carving out a chance immediately as Cunningham met a cross into the box but his header cannoned of the bar.
Both teams going for the second goal made for great viewing and Polson was next to go close with a shot from an acute angle which rippled the side netting. As the game wore on and more space began to emerge, opportunities arrived but one couldn't be taken by South West's Angus Denholm as he was played through but fired over the bar. 
In a similar position at the other end though, Dawson made no mistake receiving the ball inside the box and his drive across goal was too accurate for substitute goalkeeper Jack Hunter to keep out which gave South East the crucial lead.
Owen Richardson almost added to the advantage with a shot from distance which stung the palms of Hunter while Dawson had another effort, this time his volley was off-target after more good work by Polson.
The goal clearly put South East back in command and they were very dangerous at this point; sub Rayaan Digpal worked a nice give-and-go with Dawson but from the edge of the box couldn't find the target with his finish. 
A third goal was coming and it eventually did, Digpal was the orchestrator working the ball to Richardson who let fly from distance and he caught out Hunter to make it 3-1.
South West had a few chances as the game neared its conclusion, Denholm was denied by a quality save by Martin as he hammered the ball from a few yards then as the play continued a shot by Adam Paterson McKeen fell to Denholm who did well to stretch and make contact but the ball agonisingly trickled on to the post.
There was one more chance that fell to Cameron Ross who latched on to a long throw but the attempt went wide; by then though it was too late and South East saw the game out to win the trophy.  
Youth Football Scotland: Website Photos &emdash;
  • Full Time:
  • SYFA South East
  • 3-1
  • SYFA South West


SYFA South East
SYFA South West
1. Patrick Martin
2. Callum O'Neill
3. Lewis McKay
4. Cameron Stewart
5. Jake McCreadie
6. Murray Rose
7. Ryan Farrel
8. Euan Maguire
9. Cameron Dawson
10. Kyle Hunter
11. Robbie Polson
12. Owen Richardson
14. Rayaan Digpal
15. Harry Girdwood
16. Callum Rutherford
19. Fraser Briton
1. Dylan Jackson
2. Fraser McMillan
3. Jay Anderson
4. Fraser Dempsey
5. Darrell Cotton
6. Cameron Ross
7. Adam Paterson McKeen
8. Conner Cunningham
9. Thomas Dunlop
10. Ryan Strian
11. Lee McClymont
12. Gavin Scott
13. Logan Craig
14. Morgan Loudon
17. Jackson Sivewright
18. Angus Denholm
21. Louis McIntosh
22. Jack Hunter
Star Player
SYFA South East
SYFA South West
Robbie Polson - the liveliest player on the pitch, constantly on the ball throughout the 90 minutes, quality of delivery from wide areas and dribbling was impressive and managed to get on the scoresheet.
Darrell Cotton - Had a very solid game despite being on the losing side, read situations extremely well, was willing to play the ball out from the back and made a brilliant goal-line clearance with the match still in the balance.
Magic Moment
SYFA South East
SYFA South West
Patrick Martin's save with the score at 1-1. He reacted quickest to the rebound from Ryan Strian's shot from long range, making himself big and blocking Conner Cunningham's attempt.
Ryan Strian's terrific half-volley from distance which very nearly found the top corner. He showed great skill and control to attempt it and was very unlucky.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments