Home My YFS

Barrhead hit eight and await their Mushet Cup fate

Barrhead YFC 8

Phillips 23', 35', Stewart 26', 27', Bolger 31', 38' 66', McLaughlin 68'

Hillwood BC 1

Barrett 47'
  • Saturday, 21 March 2015
  • Cowan Park
  • Under 14´s
  • David Mushet Cup

Steven Mair | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Barrhead YFC ran out emphatic 8-1 winners at Cowan Park over Hillwood BC. Doubles from Anthony Phillips and Cameron Stewart, a hat-trick for Connor Bolger and a late finish from substitute Dean McLaughlin sent Barrhead through to the next round of the David Mushet Cup. A second-half penalty from Dale Barrett was Hillwood’s only consolation.
The game was rather slow to start. Both defences attempted to establish themselves as immovable in the first 20 minutes. Barrhead’s first try at goal came from a set-piece: a corner curled in from the right made it panic stations in the Hillwood box, and in the end Stewart’s effort produced a great save from Mark Adams in goal.
Shortly after, Hillwood created their first chance of the game. Barrett picked the ball up in midfield and produced an inventive ball over the top to Kieran Lockhart, however the number 11 was skilfully forced wide by Cynan Mackie and his shot was spurned wide of the post.
Mackie then came from defence into attack, weaving his way through several Hillwood defenders before finessing a shot towards the top-right corner; however Adams made another great save diving to his left. Just after, Thomas Kane struck the crossbar with a long-range effort. The rebound was tucked in by Phillips but the number two was judged to be offside.
Barrhead broke the deadlock midway through the first half. The raw pace and fluid dribbling of Kyle Elrick took him away from the attentions of the Hillwood defence. This allowed him to whip in a powerful cross which was too difficult for the defenders to deal with and the ball fell kindly to the alert Phillips who prodded in from close range.
Three minutes later Barrhead snatched a quick second. Bolger’s slick Zidane turn on the edge of the box created space for Stewart on the left. The winger raced to the by-line and his incisive finish from a tight angle escaped the late clearance attempt by Hillwood’s defence and trickled into the net.
Barrhead were unrelenting and a minute later Stewart added a third. Pressing the Hillwood players straight from kick-off, Barrhead won the ball in midfield and distributed it to the left wing where they had found joy seconds before. Stewart picked it up on 18 yards and lashed it high beyond Adams, kissing the crossbar on its way in.
Hillwood were stunned by the sudden momentum change and there was more to come from the home side who added a fourth on 30 minutes. Thomas MacRae picked up the ball in the centre circle and threaded the ball through to Bolger, who carried the ball slightly to the left before an emphatic finish low off the post.
Barrhead were absolutely flying now, dominating possession yet moving the ball with purpose at the same time. Their fifth came right before half time from a set piece: a back-post delivery nodded home by Phillips for his second of the game.
  • Half Time:
  • Barrhead YFC
  • 5-0
  • Hillwood BC
The home team started the second half as they finished the first. Following a fine move on the left, MacRae’s cutback found Kane who stuck the ball low towards goal. The ball was handled on the line and the resulting penalty was dispatched powerfully by Bolger into the top-left corner. 
However, less than 10 minutes later Hillwood got a penalty of their own. Barrett was fouled in the box and he stepped up to the plate to slot it past Calum Flockhart in the Barrhead goal. The two penalties were extraordinarily similar: both were the correct decision from the referee and both were unstoppable left-sided finishes.
The game then went rather flat. It was a beautiful morning in Barrhead and the sunshine coupled with the exertions of the first half seemed to take a lot out of the players – many were also tooled up with gloves and Under Armour expecting a chilly game.
Indeed, it wasn’t until four minutes from time that we had another spot of action. Bolger completed his hat-trick through spectacular perseverance on the left. Sprinting into the box the number three withstood a number of suspected trips until the ball broke kindly to him just a few yards out. Bolger made sure with a no-frills finish, blasting the ball into the middle of the goal.
The icing on the cake for Barrhead came from substitute McLaughlin. An exquisite balance of pace and agility, he weaved his way down the left hand side before expertly firing the ball into the roof of the net from a tight angle. 
  • Full Time:
  • Barrhead YFC
  • 8-1
  • Hillwood BC


Barrhead YFC
Hillwood BC
11. Calum Flockhart (GK)
2. Anthony Phillips
3. Connor Bolger
7. Calum Hepburn
9. Lewis Connor
10. Cynan Mackie
12. Cameron Stewart
15. Kyle Elrick
17. Thomas MacRae
18. Thomas Kane
24. Jonathon Caldwell
25. Euan Corry
27. Dean McLaughlin
28. Aran Keir
1. Mark Adams (GK)
2. Ashleigh Ross
4. Brandon Fairgray
5. Adin Fouchong
6. William Duncan
7. Dale Barrett
9. Hayder Al Toky
10. Ciaran Corcoran
11. Kieran Lockhart
12. Dawid Sitraz
13. Mahesh Chopra
14. Gary Michie
15. Charlie McGhee
17. Michael Keenan
21. Jack McGill
Star Player
Barrhead YFC
Hillwood BC
Connor Bolger - A fantastic display reflected in the number three's hat-trick. Seemed to cover every blade of grass with an exemplary work rate.
Dale Barrett - Showed some great creativity with a good range of passing and also stepped up to the plate with a fantastic penalty.
Magic Moment
Barrhead YFC
Hillwood BC
Connor Bolger's first goal, a post-grazing finish from a through ball, was great to watch and set Barrhead up comfortably for the second half.
Dale Barrett's penalty was tucked away to the left with power and precision.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments