Home My YFS

Brilliant Barrhead too good for Locos on national final day

Barrhead YFC 5

McLaughlin 18, Ashe 29, Etherson 44, Easdon 49, Planas 70

Colony Locos 2

Dawson 35, 60
  • Saturday, 24 May 2014
  • Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie
  • Under 19´s
  • TWS Scottish Youth FA Cup - Final

Darren Carrigan | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Listen back to full Match Commentary from YFSRadio
The tumultuous Scottish Cup finals continued with Barrhead YFC taking on Colony Loco, both sides hadn’t been on the best of from locally and that meant that the favourite was anyone’s guess. The Barrhead lads came into the game off the back of a dramatic 5-3 semi final. Whilst their opponents have to play against a massive Barrhead support and travel lag. The air was definitely electric and chants rang back and forward as both sides fancied their chances of bringing home the trophy.
Straight from kick off Barrhead almost bagged the opener as a hopeful shot from Brian Ashe slipped from Jordan Garrow’s gloves and landed on the roof of the net. Barrhead continued to apply pressure, looking to pacey winger Thomas McGaughey to control the flow of play.
Colony looked for an overlap and found some joy with Lukas Kennedy and Grant Dawson. It looked to be a well oiled partnership as Colony started to play through them as much as possible. The opening minutes were as torrid as the previous games’ final one, but this looked set to be a cracking final.
Barrhead threatened again as McGaughey broke down the left and cut inside, moving along the byline and playing it backwards Fraser McGlaughlin took a stab at goal only for the mess of bodies to prevent his effort reaching the 6 yard box. Nobody was backing down early on, but Barrhead looked the more likely to score in the opening minutes.
Number 5 John Planas came on with under 15 minutes played, an injured Ciaran O’Donahue coming off to make way. 
A lovely bit of skill allowed McLaughlin to turn his man when the Barrhead attack was being crowded out – but in the end all he can get for his creativity is a corner.  
Soon after it was a Barrhead free kick over 30 yards from goal. We saw a goal like it earlier, the only difference this time was Garrow got a glove to it. McLaughlin steps us as casual as you like and curls it right into the top right corner.
Barrhead pushed forward, they smelled blood and looked to take it with wingers and forwards all finding space. But almost right away Colony came close. Greg Wood getting one on one and it was only the strong gloves of Alistair Hughes that tipped it out for a corner, after it bounced ominously in front of the goal. 
Colony began to establish a foothold in the game – playing in Daniel Crisp who was linking the midfield and attack very well, in the end though the Barrhead back four were standing very strong to keep out the Loco strikers, thanks in no small part to Anthony Etherson.
Brian Ashe then made it 2-0 for Barrhead scrambling from the ashes of a half chance. A great cross almost results in a goal and Colony’s Lukas Kennedy went down only for Ashe to slot home in a classic example of ‘playing to the whistle.’ That took a lot of awareness and composure and the ref had no choice but to keep the play moving to allow the second goal.
Colony began to try and find their way back in, pinging passes around between Crisp,  Watson and Burr. But their great passing was far too deep and the Aberdeen side needed to show a lot more urgency to get back in the tie. 
A great piece of passing from Crisp, he found Alex Duguid on the edge of the box, who slipped through a great weighted pass back to Grant Dawson who side-footed it past the keeper into the net to make it 2-1. Football is all about momentum and it looked here like the momentum was shifting to support the side looking for an equalizer.
The goal almost acted as a reset as both teams began to play like the game had just started – neither able to hold the ball for a particularly long time. But it was Kieran Lawrence who broke down the Colony left to get space, but in the end his cross was too late to get past the right back.
Then again the pressed on the opposite side Kennedy puts in for Duguid who tries a flick back into the centre only for it to be cut out by Sam McNeil.
Barrhead free kick from a very tempting crossing position out on the right, good left foot cross floated towards Ashe, but in the scrum it was punched out. It came back in to McNeil who turned and shot only for it to be deflected over the bar. The East Renfrewshire side then produced a creative set piece routine from that corner. Two short passes between Easdon and McLaughlin was then squared to Etherson who connected cleanly from 35 yards out, sending the ball sailing into the top right corner. The goalkeeper was rooted to the spot, without a hope of reaching the ball.
Burr took Colony forward on the counter, a lovely pass through to Crisp set up a great killing cross only for McNeil to block it and send Barrhead back up the park. 
Front to back Barrhead kept up the performance, Etherson showing his worth at the back by preventing any chance of a chance before he cleared into row Z to take us into a halftime. Barrhead went in after a dominant half and the talking point had to be that 35 yard monster that put Barrhead 3-1 ahead.
  • Half Time:
  • Barrhead YFC
  • 3-1
  • Colony Locos
Straight from kick off Barrhead won a free kick out wide, McLaughlin crossed looking for Ashe who got his head to it, though he couldn’t get it low enough. Again Barrhead go forward, Etherson fed in Ashe who held it up just inside the box. Ashe played it wide for Bradley on the overlap who hammered it into the corner from the corner of the box. It was an absolutely lovely shot that went right across the keeper to make it 4-1 to Barrhead.
McLaughlin looked to heap on the misery, breaking free of his marker in the box with some fancy footwork – he looked to fire home with his left only for it to end up out of the stadium. Colony was trying their hardest to get back into this, Crisp and Burr showed signs of fight to win a corner. But the ball in was far too high and nothing came from it.
Colony started to spread the play with some nice one touch passing, looking to Duguid to create something. The Colony forward man tried but a lack of support allowed McNeil to come in and snatch away possession and send Barrhead forward down the left.  
Duguid held up the ball fantastically to lure in the Barrhead right back and allow the overlapping through ball to Lawrence. The one on one was promising but Hughes came out ahead. A hard won free kick allowed Colony to try again, they floated it in and the keeper couldn’t get there. An almost open goal awaited but Barrhead threw themselves in front of the ball to prevent the shot on target,
Colony found themselves enjoying a great spell of play but Middleton intercepted a loose pass and broke down the right. He outpaced 3 men and looked to be brought down with a harsh sliding tackle – though the ref waved play on.
Colony free kick was swung in to the front post by Kennedy – who picked out the run of Grant Dawson and a fabulous diving header beat the goalkeeper at the near post and made it 4-2 to set up a potential comeback.
Colony’s next effort came from a corner flying to the back post and sent back in again allowed Lawrence to hammer one shot off Etherson and his rebound over the bar. Colony looked like a team possessed and were totally outplaying their Barrhead counterparts. A bit of cramp for Phillip Woodgreaves allowed both teams to get a breather.
Greg Wood and Craig Turriff were then brought on for Alex Duguid and Joe Burr a completely bizarre substitution that took off two of the most influential attacking players in the colony squad.
Barrhead won a corner and a short passing move allowed the ball to be hammered low to the 6 yard box, although all that came about was a Colony counter although Lawrence couldn’t get a good ball through for Wood.
Fraser McLaughlin cut inside from the left and took on one, two, three, four almost five men as he was dragged away from the ball to win a 19 yard free kick for Barrhead straight in front of goal. The man himself took it after a dummy from McGaughey and slotted it under the wall – only for it to go inches wide of the post.
The game was utter chaos as both team tried to break away from the other, but the end to end play was getting very little penetration. The Colony substitutes had yet to make an impact and Barrhead were struggling to break down the Colony defence like they used to. Lawrence seemed to be the only man making gains for Colony, even then Middleton was doing impeccably both attacking and defensively in this game. A long bit of football from Colony culminates in a rebound falling to Kennedy who hammers it on the volley but cant direct it goalwards.
The West Region side pushed forward again and Ashe held off his man from the throw, and then slipped through a through ball for Planas. It took a great burst of diagonal pace to catch up to the ball and take it beyond the oncoming Garrow – but he nipped round the goalkeeper and slotted it in to make it 5-2 to Barrhead. 
Barrhead’s Ryan Bell intercepted a loose Colony ball and hammered home a hopeful shot that gave Garrow cause to worry. It was a very near thing but in the end was on the wrong side of the post for Barrhead. 
A lovely back heel by McGaughey set up a beautiful cross; it sailed over the defenders and landed at Bell’s feet. But it bounced up too high for the centre mid and allowed Garrow to gratefully clear it.
The game was still going in full effect building up to the final whistle, Colony looked the more passionate of the two – but as the Loco boys were throwing everyone forward Barrhead were able to find gaps when they attacked. The minutes ebbed away and the final whistle blew, signalling wild celebrations in the Barrhead camp, as they became national champions.
  • Full Time:
  • Barrhead YFC
  • 5-2
  • Colony Locos


Barrhead YFC
Colony Locos
1. Mark Parsons
2. Fraser McLaughlin
3. John Middleton
4. Anthony Etherson
5. John Planas
6. Ryan Ball
7. Brian Ashe
8. Sam McNeil
9. Bani Nhlapo
10. Thomas McGaughey
11. Jack Easdon
13. Gavin Brown
14. Ciaran O'Donague
16. Graham Haughie
17. Alistair Hughes
18. Conor Bradley

Free kicks won: 9
Free kicks conceded: 8
Corners: 8
Shots on target: 9
Shots off target: 5
Headers won: 51
Tackles won: 40
Passes completed: 195
2. Lukas Kennedy
3. Scott Abel
4. Euan Abel
5. Phillip Woodgreaves
6. Grant Dawson
7. Joe Burr
8. Daniel Crisp
9. Greg Wood
10. Alex Duguid
11. Michael Watson
12. Dean Henderson
14. Matthew Battensby
17. Kieran Lawrence
19. Craig Turriff
20. Mitchell Reid
22. Jordan Garrow

Free kicks won: 8
Free kicks conceded: 9
Corners: 8
Shots on target: 7
Shots off target: 2
Headers won: 39
Tackles won: 33
Passes completed: 160
Star Player
Barrhead YFC
Colony Locos
Fraser McLaughlin caused problems all game, scored an excellent free kick and was the stand out player.
Grant Dawson's scored two goals and always looked a threat. Good all round display.
Magic Moment
Barrhead YFC
Colony Locos
Etherson's wonderstrike is unlikely to be surpassed by many goals at youth level this year. To do it on the biggest stage was quite incredible.
Grant Dawson's first goal was timely to give Colony a foothold in the match and a well taken finish.
Club Views
Barrhead YFC
Colony Locos

Interview to follow.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments