Home My YFS

Feisty affair as KSC Phoenix see off Pollock

Written by  KSC Phoenix


KSC Phoenix
Pollock United
U15's Ayr International Cup
28 May 2014
With the sun shinning on the magnificent Rozelle parks today down in sunny Ayr, we would see the first group stage match turn into a feisty affair.
With five minutes in both sides looked hungry knowing a win would set them up nicely for pole position in the group, Pollock took advantage of some early searching balls into the Phoenix box which maybe of seen better reward had there been a touch more composure when pulling the trigger.
Phoenix likewise had their early chances through Boyd and Strain, the latter with the better of the two picked the ball up wide on the right, although perhaps he should of taken a touch however Strain went for an audacious effort into the far top corner first time, an unlucky effort but this did show the intent/ threat Phoenix posed when attacking.
Phoenix settled fairly quickly into the match and looked to edge themselves in front, around 10 minutes in we would see the breakthrough, after a needless challenge by Pollocks number 8 twenty yards into his own half Phoenix captain Jay Anderson took advantage of the free kick flinging in an inch perfect cross to strike partner Adam Boyd who bulleted a header away at the back post to put his team 1 in front.
As the half came to a close Phoenix were  on top, with perhaps the discipline of their opponents being the only real problem within their ranks, as a result there would be two bookings late on in the half.
Half-Time: KSC Phoenix 1-0 Pollock United
Straight from KO Pollock broke upfield forcing a free kick right in front of the corner flag, as the ball was swung in Phoenix vice captain Logan Craig cleared his lines and initiated his own sides next attack, it must be said Craig was exceptional in this match winning everything that came his way.
Next up was Phoenix keeper Murray Grayston with a mammoth goal kick which bounced in his opposite numbers 18 yard box as the Pollock keeper came to collect Phoenix scorer Boyd was on hand to get between the keeper and his marker for the latter to take the keeper out and the ball run into the back of the net.
The goal for the keeper was extraordinary, the collision between the Pollock players would see the match halted for five minutes.
On the restart Phoenix were hungry for more, next up after some neat play from Lewis Gardener who linked up well with Jamie Lyndsey  on the edge of the area, with the Phoenix forward struggling to get his shot away with any real conviction first time the ball kindly broke back to him on the edge of the area for a second bite pulling the trigger & smashing the ball high past the descending keeper.
3-0 and game over you felt, however as Phoenix went in search of their 4th Pollock would see themselves reduced to 10 men, with uncertainty as to the sending off Phoenix would test their luck from 25 yards out through Captain Anderson, with his effort flying just over.
As the match drew to a close Pollock would see red again and their chances of a late comeback diminish.
Full-Time: KSC Phoenix 3-0 Pollock United
Login to post comments