Home My YFS

West are hot from the spot to decide Inter-Regional thriller

SYFA West 3

Baird 10. Seggie 35. Purdue 72 (Pen)

SYFA South East 3

Dawson 54, 60, Polson 56
  • Final Result: SYFA West 3-3 SYFA South East (SYFA West win 5-3 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 27 April 2014
  • Toryglen Regional Football Centre
  • Under 15´s
  • SYFA Inter Regional Cup - Final

Rob McCarry | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

The two strongest Under 15 sides in regional football came together to contest this seasons cup final and all in attendance were expecting a close contest. West began the match attacking from left to right and attck was the operative word early on as the took the fight to their opponents from the off.
After only nine minutes the scoreboard had lit up fllowing superb play on the right from West's Nathan McGarvey as he whipped the ball into the danger area where Connor Baird was gratefully waiting to control before stabbing his effort past the stranded Fraser Briton before wheeling away to celebrate breaking the deadlock.
The boys in dark blue responded in fine style by putting the pressure on in their pursuit of an equaliser, soon after the opener there was a display of great vision to play in Euan Maguire up front but his left footed shot, though well struck, posed no danger to Ross Fisher as he watched the ball bounce wide.
It was almost 2-0 moments later as white shirts poured forward with both wingers joining Mark Taylor and Baird in attack and a superb move across the pitch from right to left saw the latter play in the former who lashed the ball home but the linesman had raised his flag just after the final pass to keep the difference to a single goal.
The momentum then swung back again and, following a superbly won header, South East had possesion in the final third where Maguire was able to play in Cameron Dawson but despite his twists and turns he was unable to break through the West defence which was being superbly marshalled by Niaill Herron in the middle.
At the other end chances were also coming thick and fast, no sooner had Briton got his legs to an effort from Fraser Burns after he was superbly set up by Jack Purdue than he he was turning a Nathan McGarvey effort round the post after a beautifully disguised pass from Tony Coutts.
A pattern had definetely emerged during this first 40 minutes and neither side was able to sustain any kind of pressure, South East racing back up the park to try their luck and Owen Richardson swarmed all over centre back Kalvin Warren, forcing the defender into a mistake and then cutting the ball back to the unmarked Dawson who fired straight into the arms of Fisher to the dismay of his teammates.
On the balance of play it would be fair to say that West had had the lion's share of chances heading into the break and their overall domination would be reflected in the scoreline as the minutes ticked down they won a corner that was then swung onto the head of the unmarked Mark Seggie who glanced his effort past Briton to make it 2-0 at the interval.
  • Half Time:
  • SYFA West
  • 2-0
  • SYFA South East
Down but not out South East emerged for the second period refreshed and looking to reduce their two goal deficit and show the class that had gotten them to this final and none looked more determined than Dawson who roared forward stright from the restart, tearing through his opponents midfield and defence before rifling a shot towards substitute goalkeeper Ryan McLaren but his effort thumped off the midsection of the outrushing keeper and away.
This would merely be a signal of their intent however and the sustained pressure that had been missing in the first half was clearly in evidence now, Robbie Polson show skill to die for as he left two defenders trailing before playing in Tommy Waker but he was unable to get the ball out from under his feet and was tackled before Polson simply cut out the middle man during his next foray and drove goalwards himself but a low drive from the edge of the box skidded just past the post.
This was now turning into the Robbie Polson show as the talented winger timed his run into box to perfection to recieve a cross from the right which he cushioned well to give himself a chance from a narrow angle but his shot flashed across the face of the goal and West could breathe again.
When it came to finishing South East had been sub par up until now but we were about to see why Dawson was his region's first choice number nine as he watched Fraser Patton's cross arcing into the box and displayed almost effortless timing and touch as he jumped to direct the ball goalwards first time and send the net rippling to put his side back in the contest on 54 minutes.
If Dawson was good however Polson was now on fire, setting up Walker again for a chance that was wasted he never took his eye off the ball and when the it broke on right to Lewis Hall he was quickest to react to the low cross and his effort was rifled home to turn the match on it's head in less than two minutes of heart stopping action.
For all the chances Walker had spurned up to now his endeavour was never in question and he would have his part to play yet. When the next corner came in it was his head it reached and instead of taking the chance himself he sent the ball back across the goal and onto a plate for Dawson to nod home his second, his sides third and leave West wondering what had just hit them.
Although rocked the boys in white weren't out for the count, gathering themselves well in search of an equaliser. When Taylor was upended in the box they would have their chance to draw level from twelve yards. Purdue stepped and duly dispatched the ball past Jamie Mitchell to level things up with less than ten minutes to go and although both teams would strain for a winner it we be from the spot that the match would be decided.
  • Full Time:
  • SYFA West
  • 3-3
  • SYFA South East

After an early miss by South East, Taylor would have the chance to win the trophy in the fifth round of kicks, showing excellent composure he struck it well leaving Mitchell with no chance to make it 5-3 and sending his team into dreamland.

Final Result: Final Result: SYFA West 3-3 SYFA South East (SYFA West win 5-3 on penalties)


SYFA South East

1 Ross Fisher
2 Nathan Carmichael
3 Mark Seggie
4 Niall Herron
5 Kalvin Warren
6 Fraser Burns
7 Nathan McGarvey
8 Tony Coutts
9 Mark Taylor
10 Connor Baird
11 Jack Purdue
12 Ryan McLaren
14 Connor Nelson
15 Will Bratton
16 Fraser Cooper
17 Michael McLaughlin

1 Fraser Briton 2 Jack Dick 3 Lewis McKay 4 Struan Robb 5 Josh Williamson 7 Owen Richardson 8 Jack Ogilvie 9 Cameron Dawson 10 Euan Maguire 11 Robbie Polson 12 Lewis Junner 14 Tommy Walker 15 Callum Watson 16 Lewis Hall 18 Jamie Mitchell

Star Player
SYFA South East
Time and again Connor Baird was the axis around which West's attacks spun, posing a constant threat across the forward line
No one could touch Robbie Polson when he turned on the style and in the second half he was almost unplayable.
Magic Moment
SYFA South East
The final penalty from Taylor that finished the contest was a moment that'll live long in memory.
Cameron Dawson's beautifully cushioned finish for his sides first goal was fit to grace any occasion.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments