Home My YFS

Three wins in Three for Pheonix in David McNaught Cup

Written by 


Prestayr Thistle FC
KSC Pheonix
Under-15 David McNaught Cup
29 March 2014
The match started fairly even in this David McNaught cup tie, however after patient build up play around the 10 minute mark Phoenix had their coaches brimming with pride, Barcaesque is the only way to explain the sublime passing phase which lead to the first goal.

With the ball cooly pulled out of the air on the halfway line by Phoenix's Influential winger come striker for the day Ryan Strain he cooly threaded the ball throughout to his strike partner Jamie Lyndsey who again as he has done so many times the last few weeks picked out the onward running Phoenix wide boy Morgan Loudon who cooly took the ball in his stride, with his first touch teeing him up to calmly slot the ball under the descending Prestayr number 1 Ewan Smith, a real classy move from front to back proper text book.

With Loudon hungry for more it wouldn't be long before he was latching onto another ball threaded through the Prestayr rearguard, this time Strain being the provider.

At 2-0 there looked no way back KSC were dominating the play, however one high ball over the top did nearly catch out the Phoenix back line, however the referee was well positioned to call the off side.

A few moments later another attack was on with the ball played down the Phoenix right, the Phoenix fullback provided a high ferocious ball into the box with the Prestayr centre back the odds on winner for clearing however up jumps KSCs number 9 Ryan Strain with a sublime glancing header into the far top right corner, a great individual goal which had the side lines in praise.

Phoenix continued used to press for another before the break, next up was Lafferty who was harshly pulled back by Prestayrs Captain who evidently nearly ripped the sleeve of his jersey off, this moment of madness would see Prestayrs Captain booked and rightly so..
Half Time: Prestayr Thistle 0-3 KSC Pheonix
The first 5 minutes of the second half saw Phoenix start as they'd finished the first half, again it was Phoenix play maker Josh Lafferty who weaved himself into the box, the result he was brought to ground with a swift sweep of his legs by the fullback, a cert of a penalty however much to every ones disbelief the Phoenix number 11 saw himself in the book for diving, quite incredible, even the coaching staff on the adjacent pitch were laughing at this decision, quite incredible!

This booking would see a ten minute slump from Phoenix, and as a result they would see themselves punished at the other end, this time a penalty for the home side. It must be said yes it was a penalty however very soft in comparison the earlier shout.

Prestayr would take advantage from their spot kick and saw a small window to claw themselves back into the match, 3-1 game on. With the next goal vital we would have to wait until the last 8 minutes, with Phoenix looking happy to see the game out they made all five substitutions with only one of them enforced due to a suspected fractured wrist of Lewis Gardiner, who it must be said showed great commitment in seeing the first half out with his injury.

Prestayr opted for three at the back in order to try and get their second of the match, however the Phoenix rearguard stood tall and proved an extremely challenging wall to breach.

As a result Phoenix found the space on the break with a neat ball through the middle by Logan Craig picked out Lafferty who riffled a shot from 20 Yards into the top right corner 4-1 and game by you felt, however there was to be further drama, this time with Phoenix centre back Logan Craig driving into the box only to be tripped as he pulled the trigger, again another soft penalty in comparison to the earlier incident. However up stepped Loudon for his hattrick, not the coolest of penalties however a hattrick nonetheless.

With only minutes remaining Prestayr to their credit continued to see it out competitively with the last phase of play resulting in another soft penalty, up stepped the same player who bagged the first for the home side, however despite executing with power Phoenix number 1 Murray Grayston tipped over the bar! a fine save by the keeper. 
Full Time: Prestayr Thistle 1-5 KSC Pheonix
Login to post comments