Home My YFS

Ten man Tass book cup final slot after miracle comeback

Galston YFC 2

Ross, Duncan

Tass Thistle Saltires 3

Jennings (2), Gallagher
  • Final Result: Galston YFC 2-3 Tass Thistle Saltires (AET)
  • Sunday, 23 March 2014
  • Loudoun Academy AstroTurf
  • Under 16´s
  • CAYFA Supplementary Shield

Kyle Brown | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

In the 1998s Supplementary Shield final, Tass Thistle came from 2-0 down via extra time to defeat Galston YFC to clinch a spot in the final. Goals either side of the break came from Ross Duncan and Cameron Ross and they looked to have sent Galston through: but a late Scott Jennings brace took the game into overtime. Despite good chances coming again to Galston, it was Tass captain Joseph Gallagher who headed in a frantic winner right at the death, just as penalties were looming...
The game could not have started any better for the home side. Following some early pressure they won a corner. The ball was floated in high and for no clear reason outfielder Christopher O'Hagan punched the ball away. A clear penalty and the referee opted to send the player off, to which neither himself or his team mates had any real complaints about.
John Frame stepped up to take the spot kick, but Tass Goalkeeper Lauchlin Stringer saved the ball, and cleared the ball way to prevent Galston scoring the rebound. 
That was all inside the opening five minutes - less than ten minutes later Galston did indeed take the lead. Using their man advantage well, they sustained a lot of pressure on their counterparts. Tass made a clearance but the ball only came as far as Ross Duncan. He drove his way forward and audaciously chipped the keeper from the penalty D to open the scoring in magnificent fashion. 
For the rest of the half Galston had complete control - they had numerous shots on goal as they looked the extend their lead and book their place in the cup final. However, perhaps their best one following the goal came straight after their opener: a neat ball from Craig Black was flicked on by Frame to the path of Jason Phillips. One on one with Stringer, the forward done all he could have but the Tass goalkeeper made a magnificent save to get the ball out for a corner. From that corner, the ball broke to Kyle Gilmour; his shot through a crowd of bodies couldn't beat Stringer either, this time the keeper held the ball.
In almost identical fashion five minutes later, Stringer again held a Gilmour shot from a corner. This time the Galston captain had volleyed the ball - perhaps an even better save from Stringer then. 
Black then had a go from distance, but he failed to make Stringer work when his shot fizzed narrowly over.
Galston then had a few more chances from distance in a quick fire flurry of activity; both Gilmour and Cameron Ross stung the keepers palms from similar distances, before Frame forced the keeper into a smart low stop down to his left from a free kick. That was before another good chance was presented to Phillips, but again Stringer prevented him from an angle. 
One minute before half time and ten man Tass finally worked Jordan Boyd in the Galston goal. Scott Jennings came sliding into the box, and his lob almost caught out the keeper, however he backtracked well and held the ball easily. 
  • Half Time:
  • Galston YFC
  • 1-0
  • Tass Thistle Saltires
Having an extra man, Galston used it extremely well. They perhaps felt they should have been ahead by more, and they certainly could have been ahead had it not been for some rock solid goalkeeper by Lauchlin Stringer. The Tass defence were still marshalling the game pretty well, in particularly Lee Farrelly and Cameron Lockhart had combined pace and tough tackling to stop multiple attacks at the last gasp.    
However, Tass couldn't really get the ball out of their own half. It was not for a lack of trying, but Galston were superb. The away side would have to lift their performance in an attacking sense if they were to advance to the final.        
They did start as a rejuvenated side. Six minutes into the match, they had a weak claim for a penalty as Boyd felled Sean Henry en route to forcing the ball out for a corner - however I doubt there would be a referee about that would give that. From the resulting corner, Cameron Lockhart almost nodded in an equaliser but he didn't make clean enough contact to get sufficient power to really work the goalkeeper.        
Boyd gathered and started an immediate counter attack which culminated in Phillips going one on one with Stringer with all the time in the world. It should have been 2-0 but he blasted the ball off of the crossbar.        
Black then had another good chance when the ball broke kindly for him at the edge of the box, but Jamie Lockhart risked life and limb to miraculously divert the ball wide for a corner.         
Up the other end, Jennings dragged a long range shot wide of the goal in a weak attempt to find and equaliser.        
However, Galston further extended there lead just moments later. Cameron Ross raced in on goal and lobbed the keeper for 2-0. You would have thought that that would have been game, set and match at that point seeing as Galston had regained complete control of proceedings as well as a man advantage.        
Ross did have a wonderful chance to clinch the cup final berth but in fact he was closer to putting the ball into orbit rather than scoring after skying a cut back.       
That proved to be a fatal miss as Jennings got his brace to take the match into extra time. The first was a long, cross field ball into the box and the forward ghosted into the box unchecked the blast into the top corner with thirteen minutes left on the clock.       
In between the Tass goals Ross almost restored the two goal advantage with a cross-come-shot that clipped the crossbar.       But there it was - that decisive turning point in the match. Jennings pounced onto a loose back pass when he had the easiest of finishes to tie the game at 2- 2 with six minutes on the clock.       Galston were devastated, and perhaps crucially, rattled. Tass pressed for an equaliser within the remaining few minutes.        
Even though the frantic finale was panning out in the Galston half it was the blue and white side that almost snatched victory back at the death. First, Frame went down in the area where he vigorously protested for another penalty. To be fair, from another angle and a distance it looked as though perhaps the Tass player got the ball but he certainly didn't - although that being said it may have been harsh to award a second penalty for that - cruel as that is.  Galston couldn't come any closer than they did in the last second of play. A deep ball into the back post came to an unmarked Ross Duncan but somehow the ball eluded his head and the ball shaved the outside of the post, and with it extra time loomed over the two sides.
  • Full Time:
  • Galston YFC
  • 2-2
  • Tass Thistle Saltires
Chance after chance fell the way of Galston throughout the match and yet it just didn't quite sit for them. Credit must go where it's due as Tass put in a mammoth effort to get the game back to 2-2 having plagued 99% of the game with ten men. The momentum was with them now surely, but you would need a crystal ball to predict how extra time would pan out.

The first period of extra time was scrappy until the last minute with no one wanting to give anything away. However, Phillips was presented with another glorious chance as he went one on one with Stringer. Fatigue appeared to be setting in and he weakly poked the ball well wide. The forward had had a great all round game, but in front of goal this just didn't seem like it would be his day. Nor would it appear like it would be his team's day either.

There was no break to even catch breath. Just a rapid changeover. Both teams knew this was it: it would be all or nothing should a goal hit the back of the net as there surely couldn't be enough time for a comeback. Talk of a dreaded penalty shoot out was already filling the sidelines, but when Tass scored with less than three minutes left it looked like they had sealed it.

A floated corner came in and the ball bounced around the penalty box; Tass captain Joseph Gallagher reacted first and nicked and nodded the ball beyond the despairing gloves of Jordan Boyd.

Still, incredibly, Galston had chances to get back on level terms. First, Gilmour curled an effort from distance but Stringer was well positioned to hold onto the ball.

Then, the biggest chance of them all came the way of Ross. Having already bagged a goal, when a weak kick came to his feet twenty yards out you would have bet your mortgage on him sweeping the ball into the empty goal. And yet, the ball tantalisingly took a bounce and bobbled wide of the goal post. Agonisingly for the home side, that brought about full time.

I heard a Tass parent walk away and say "a true cup game eh?" And I could not put it any better myself. Galston must have registered between twenty and thirty shots on goal, had so many clear cut chances and their opposites had ten men and three real attempts on goal. But that's the magic of a cup game I suppose, and Tass will be over the moon with the result.

As for Galston, they will be heartbroken that they could not get over the line and clinch one of the places in the Cup Final. Still though, you learn from your mistakes and I think now this side will know they must kill games off.

That's about all there is to say to it, except I would like to wish both sides all the best for the rest of the season, and all the best to Tass Saltires in their cup final.

Final Result: Final Result: Galston YFC 2-3 Tass Thistle Saltires (AET)


Galston YFC
Tass Thistle Saltires
1) Jordan Boyd. 
3) Ross Duncan.
4) Danny Ferguson.
5) Gavin Mason.
6) Craig Black.
7) Kyle Gilmour. (C)
8) Spencer Hall.
9) John Frame.
11) Jardyn Sharpe.
12) David Gibson.
14) Jack Loudoun.
15) Mark Kiltie.
17) Jason Phillips.
18) Cameron Ross.
1) Lauchlin Stringer. (Gk)
2) Jamie Lockhart.
3) Christopher O'Hagan.
4) Tyler Fullarton.
5) Sean Henry.
7) Scott Jennings.
8) Gary Kilpatrick.
10) Lewis Cursley.
11) Declan Smith.
12) Ryan Kelly.
15) Devon Malcolm.
16) Cameron Lockhart. 
17) Joseph Gallagher. (C)
18) Jordan Rae.
24) Lee Farrelly.
25) Dylan Keogh.
Star Player
Galston YFC
Tass Thistle Saltires
Ross Duncan. Whilst the full Galston team put in a good shift, the left-back put in a mammoth effort. He was up and down the flank the whole game - one moment he would be heading away a loose ball and the next racing in on goal and causing his opponent's problems.
Lauchlin Stringer. The Tass Goalkeeper kept his side in the match in the first half. He pulled off a couple of top drawer saves, made himself big for one on ones and importantly saved a penalty. Also, he dealt with all the long shots and crosses, beating them out of harm's way to stop any potential rebounds coming in. Communicated well with his defence too. All in all, a perfect game for the keeper.
Magic Moment
Galston YFC
Tass Thistle Saltires
Galston's opening goal was a peach, and you could see just how much it meant to the side.
Tass' winner was a great moment. Even though they muted the celebrations so as to stay as focused as possible on the task at hand, but it would be hard to hide the jubilation at the best of times - not like they really tried to hide their emotion anyway!
Club Views
Galston YFC
Tass Thistle Saltires
Kyle Gilmour, Galston Captain, said: "I thought we played well - let's be honest the better team lost today. However, it's our own fault. We dilly-dallyed and didn't put the ball in the back of the net so many times today... from the start to the finish we had at least twenty shots on goal and only managed to score two! I feel we certainly needed fresh legs and if we had brought on subs at 2-0 I feel we certainly would have closed the game out. Although, perhaps it would have disrupted the team, although it doesn't matter now anyway. We'll learn from this I suppose - we'll need to be far more clinical in the rest of the games next season."
Joseph Gallagher, Tass Thistle Captain, said: "I'm really happy with our performance today. Fair enough, we struggled when we started: after we got our team talk at half time our managers reminded us of all the times we've shown our ability this season, and then all the things we work on each week in training, so it really got us up for it. Fair play to Lauchlin though, we might not have made it to half time if he hadn't pulled off so many good saves. I think though it seemed it was always going to be our day - they missed so many shots and we scored two goals at a time they couldn't recover from. Playing with a man less from the third minute onward and to come back from 2-0 down to win it does already feel like we've actually won the cup... hopefully I can actually have the chance to lift the trophy after our final now!"
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments