Print this page

Galston see off Bellfield in league encounter

Galston YFC 3

Murray 23, Duncan 57, Gilmour 73

Bellfield Colts 1

Campbell 79

Kyle Brown | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Galston YFC 1998s comfortably saw off Bellfield Colts in a 3-1 thriller. There was only one point and one place separating these sides going into this game, but the home side now have moved four points ahead of their rivals. Goals from Jason Murray, Ross Duncan and Kyle Gilmour had the blue and whites cruising, but a late late late free kick from Brian Campbell provided consolation - spectacular, but merely consolation nonetheless. 
In truth, Galston controlled most of the play in the first half. They sprayed the ball around Loudoun Academy AstroTurf - where they train - and at times were great to watch. Within five minutes they were almost ahead but Scott Nelson deflected a dangerous cross wide for a corner, which was bizarrely given as a goal kick. After the excellent Craig Black had drive forward and drawn a foul, Kyle Gilmour had a chance to put his side one up with a direct free kick. His effort was on target, but keeper Matthew McClung wasn't troubled. 
However, they were ahead six minutes later. Bellfield were caught out three on three, and Jason Murray had received the ball thirty yards out. He strode forward, an with Gilmour on his left and Duncan on his right, he opted to smack the ball as hard as he could from the D. McClung got a hand on it, but the strike was too ferocious to be kept out. Galston 1-0 Bellfield Colts.
It was almost two goals in two minutes and Gilmour received a ball and used his agility well to get a shot curled away, which tantalisingly, crept just wide. The same man nearly was in again approximately forty seconds later, with Black and Murray linking up well and the latter firing a ball across, and Gilmour swung a left boot at it but made no connection. 
Galston had started the better side, and whilst form nor ability was in question here, you had to start worrying for Bellfield at this point. At this rate, Galston surely would score again soon.
They had McClung to thank for preventing such a thing ninety seconds after Gilmour's second chance. From a corner, the ball dropped to Spencer Hall who chested and volleyed; the dipping strike looked certain to find the bottom corner - only for McClung to dive, stretch, and make an outrageous save to tip it round the post.
That seemed to steady the Bellfield ship a bit. However, they still had yet to test Jordan Boyd in the Galston goal, nor the defence for that matter.
Eight minutes on from McClung's wonder save Murray fired in a cross that was begging for a poacher to tap in, but no one was on hand. Finally, Gilmour played in Hall, and one on one, the centre midfielder just could not get the ball out of his feet in time, and a defender slid in and won the ball, and proceed to boot it clear. That concluded the action of the first half. 
At times, Galston were unplayable. And others, Bellfield let them play. Certainly, those were the immortal words of a Bellfield coach, as he let rip into his side during the half time team talk, trying to spur his team on. He was right in a sense, at times Bellfield did stand back and let the blue and whites boss the match. They were living on thin ice if they decided to play like that for the second period. They needed to prove why the difference between the two sides were so close, as on this performance one could be surprised. Luckily, Bellfield did start to demonstrate their high skill level, and started the second half fighting.
Perhaps one could argue Boyd still had yet to make a save. But certainly for the first fifteen minutes of the half, they pressed a lot higher up the field - and the possession stats were much closer. 
However, there was soon to be another dramatic twist in this exciting encounter. Murray played in Duncan, and with the strike bearing down on goal with a defender at his back, McClung came rushing out of his area to stop the striker. The ball ricocheted though, and McClung was left with a dilemma; he either had to handball outside the area and hope the referee (struggling to see) missed it, or he allowed Duncan to run through and tap the ball home. He took a gamble and went with the former. However, the referee spotted it very easily. There was a long delay, however, out came the red card the Galston parents screamed for. The Bellfield sideline were incensed, but probably more out of frustration of how the morning was panning out, rather than the actual decision. They were now forced to put an outfielder in goals for the last twenty minutes.
It went from bad to worse though; from the resulting free kick, Danny Ferguson's curled the ball off of the crossbar - and Duncan was on hand to tap the ball home. 
That effectively killed the game. Bellfield were given no choice but to soak up pressure, and Galston applied a lot less, and took the game at a slower pace. 
Chances had stopped coming as regularly now. Thirteen minutes later, it was actually Bellfield who created their first chance of the game - a ricochet fell at the feet of Sandy Irvine, his steered volley just going over the crossbar.
That sparked Galston to ramp it up again. Jardyn Sharpe must have thought his lob was in all the way, but it came down off the top of the crossbar with the keeper well beaten. He then did manage to find the net sixty seconds later, albeit from an offside position and the goal did not stand. He then had a curling effort diverted wide spectacularly. It just looked like it wouldn't be the left midfielder's day; but then he produced a piece of true magic. He received the ball in his own half, but played a defence splitting switch pass onto Duncan's feet. The striker was unselfish as he squared it to Kyle Gilmour who tapped home to add the gloss to the score line their overrall dominance deserved. 
The pacey Cameron Ross then found himself in space ten yards out, but his drive could only find the side netting and he could not make it four. 
Instead, the fourth goal of the game went to Bellfield. And what a cracker it was. Twenty five yards out, Brian Campbell stepped up. It was in a half decent position for a left footer, and he used took full advantage of it; his high, curling effort clipping the bar and bouncing in - leaving Boyd with no chance. 
That was the last kick of the match though, and to Galston's relief, there was no lengthy time for Bellfield to mount a come back.
A deserved and comfortable win for the home side. Bellfield did not play to the standard I know they can, and it took them 79 minutes to make Boyd do anything - ironically this was to pick the ball out of his goal. However, when these sides rematch, I expect the all-oranges to be totally up for it this time round. In saying that, Galston can take pride from this performance - play like this weekly and they will climb the table and find themselves on another decent cup run. 


Galston YFC
Bellfield Colts

1. Jordan Boyd.
2. Craig Kirk.
3. Ross Duncan.
4. Danny Ferguson.
5. Gavin Mason.
6. Craig Black.
7. Kyle Gilmour.
8. Spencer Hall.
9. John Frame.
10. Jason Murray.
11. Jardyn Sharpe.
12. David Gibson.
14. Jack Loudoun.
15. Mark Kiltie.
18. Cameron Ross.

1. Matthew McClung.
2. Brian Campbell.
3. Marc Wilkins.
4. Scott Nelson.
5. Jamie Lochhead.
7. Ross Allan.
8. Shaun Johnston.
9. Stephen Jack.
10. Ronan McCourt.
11. Jamie Whiteside.
12. Euan Condron.
14. Ross Hamilton.
13. Scott Gibson.
17. Sandy Irvine.

Star Player
Galston YFC
Bellfield Colts
By far the hardest Star Player award I have had to give in my first four months working with Youth Football Scotland. This was a true team effort today. However, I will again nominate Craig Black today, as he played very well in a Yaya Toureesque role, and I have seen him perform capably in defence already this season for his school.
Sandy Irvine. The tall and pacy forward was the only player at the races for his side the full match today, and maybe on a different day he could have caught a break and had a run in on goal.
Magic Moment
Galston YFC
Bellfield Colts
Jardyn Sharpe's pass for the third goal was magical. Also, a passing move early on in the match, starting and finishing with Kyle Gilmour, and the ball zipping right round the park was marvelous.
The easiest Magic Moment I have ever had to give, and probably will ever have to. For that free kick, Brian Campbell, take a bow.
Club Views
Galston YFC
Bellfield Colts
Kyle Gilmour, Galston YFC player, said: "We played weell today. After getting that first goal the win was never in any doubt. Happy with my goal at the end as well!"
Tommy Stewart, Bellfield Colts coach, said: "Definitely not one of our best games! We never turned up at all in the first half. To be fair, I thought we could have turned it round until the red card came. Still happy with the fight we showed in the second half though."

Latest from Kyle Brown

Related items

Login to post comments