Home My YFS

Galston clinical on way to victory over Tass

Galston YFC 4

Terry 6, 10, 40, Holden 51

Tass Juniors 2

Murphy 26, Quigley 77
  • Sunday, 20 October 2013
  • Jamieson Park, Newmilns
  • Under 14´s
  • West of Scotland YFL

Kyle Brown | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Four goals, a stunning hat trick and a ‘Sturridge and Suarez’ esque strike partnership helped Galston Youth Football Club 2000s on their way to a clinical home win in their league match against Tass Juniors 2000s. Nick Terry had given his side a two goal lead after an early brace, but Robert Murphy pulled one back before Terry completed his hat trick shortly before half time. Straight after half time, Terry’s strike partner Findlay Holden restored his side’s four goal lead and despite a late consolation goal from Jamie Quigley, Galston ran out winners by four goals to two.
I have to admit, I was excited to see my local club – Galston – in action at my hometown of Newmilns. Admittedly, having seen the weather both last night and game day, I feared this match would have been cancelled. Perhaps other matches were indeed cancelled, but Jamieson Park where the match was to be held was in pristine condition; and despite the cold, icy rain this match went ahead.
I am glad it did, as it proved to be a cracker of a match. Tass had the chance to leapfrog Galston in the league if they had won (the teams were separated by one point and a solitary place in the table) but Galston proved too tough to beat at home. The boys in blue and white came out fighting and inside two minutes I felt they should have had a penalty – in fact most people did. Terry played a super through ball onto the onrushing Cameron Craig. He calmly rounded the Tass keeper but was pulled down by a combo of the goalie and defender. Despite the appeals from Galston and the looks of horror from Tass, nothing was given. 
However, Galston were not to be too disheartened: sweeper Chris Leggit played in Terry and - in the same position Craig was in only three moments before – he rounded keeper Shaun McKinney before dispatching clinically in between two covering defenders to put the home side 1-0 up.
It was 2-0 only moments later: Terry plucked a Tass goal kick out of the air beautifully, then blasted it into the back of the net via the crossbar. Galston deserved their early lead, as this kind of early pressure would be a hard match for most teams.
It was on the sixteenth minute mark that Tass finally worked Galston goalkeeper Joe Aiwansoba: Murphy played a defence splitting pass and with Scott Burns running onto it, Aiwansoba was out very sharply to smother the ball at the striker’s feet. Burns was then in again just forty seconds afterwards, but this time the covering Grant Semple reached across and cleared the ball away for a corner.
That corner came to nothing but a pacey counter attack from Galston, with powerful forward Findlay Holden driving up the length of the park, he attempted a cut-back for Terry but it was headed away by Tass captain Matthew Reid. It only went as far as Greg Hampshire though, and the right midfielder’s blast was smartly held and smothered by McKinney, with Terry lurking for a follow up.
That was twenty minutes into the first half, and the game was being dominated by the home side.  They say that being a coach is stressful, and as Dave Taggart attempted to lift his team and get the boys out of first gear, one must have wondered if he soon would have to be placed on an articulator! Saying that though, he did finally manage to waken Tass up, and they started playing better football at the end of the first half, and scored a beautifully worked goal.
After soaking up an attack, Tass charged forward, interchanging a flurry of passes along the way. Connor Ford – a standout for his side today – broke away and then after some great midfield work Reid found himself in front of goal with team mate Murphy in support. Reid opted for the self less option, and gave Murphy a tap in to make it 2-1.
Tass then began to apply the pressure, as the home side were pinned back.  They were not clinical enough though, and some last ditch defending helped to preserve Galston’s lead.
Tass were left to rue not making the most of this possession, as Galston scored their third on the stroke of half time. Holden took a quick throw to Kieran Boylan – the latter fired it across goal to Terry. Starting with his back to goal, Terry turned and managed to lob the ball over the goalkeeper as well as the covering defender, yet keep the ball low enough for it to stay underneath the crossbar. A remarkable finish to complete a remarkable hat trick in a remarkable first half that this young man won’t forget in a hurry!
  • Half Time:
  • Galston YFC
  • 3-1
  • Tass Juniors
Galston were the better team over the course of the first half. A two goal lead is still a very narrow one in youth football though, so Tass were far from out of it. Tass teams are renowned for their courage, desire and fight, so you would not bet against a comeback. Galston on the other hand, had proved to be more than a good match for Tass, and were comfortable in front – they would want to go out and try to get more goals.
It was Tass that almost got that early goal they so desired though. Murphy blasted a ball from the edge of the box that looked a goal all the way, until Daniel Law hurled himself at the ball and deflected it out for a corner.
Unsurprisingly, Tass took a huge boost from this. Aiwansoba denied Dylan Thomson with a great reflexive parry and Reid’s rebounded volley was deflected wide. From the resulting corner by Ford, Adam Clarke flicked the ball into the side netting.
Galston rid the early Tass storm, and nabbed their fourth goal on the break. Holden drove forward into the box, side stepped the defender and left him in his wake, before dispatching beyond new goalkeeper Dellyn Donachy to restore his side’s four goal lead.
Eleven minutes later, Holden was at it again. He held the ball up twenty five yards from goal; once he realised he had no support he went alone, turning and hitting a great curling effort that came back crashing off of the crossbar. The game began to turn into the Findlay Holden show as ninety seconds later he controlled a long ball and curled another effort – this time with his left foot – that went narrowly wide with the keeper well beaten. On this form, it was no surprise that less than five minutes after that, he beat a defender with some skill and trickery and again had the keeper beat, only to be denied by the inside of the post.
With less than ten minutes to go, Jamie Quigley played in wideman Dylan Thomson who only had Aiwansoba to beat. However, the goalie made himself big and Thomson fired wide. 
Tass grabbed a late goal seconds later though. This time Quigley turned forward as Reid became provider, and the former this time made no mistake in blasting the ball past Aiwansoba, who must be left wondering where all the outfielders in his team were at this point.
Even better for the neutral, this did not end the game’s action. Galston were awarded a penalty for a trip on Boylan. Regular taker Holden had been subbed less than a minute previous and no player in the blue and white stripes seemed keen to take the spot kick. Hampshire stepped up though, and fired off the post and wide, being very unlucky. 
Galston looked good for this win, and probably deserved it. Tass were unlucky though, and perhaps if they had been as clinical as their opponents they would have came away with something. The Terry and Holden strike partnership was magnificent to watch: the former using his pace well to drop off the shoulder of a last man, and with Holden using his power as well as excellent football ability (a rare combination) to great effect, it was little surprise they came away with a win.
I enjoyed watching this encounter between too close teams, and I will follow closely to see the result of these two sides in the return leg, whenever that may be. Until then though, I thank both teams for their hospitality, and wish them the best for the near future.
  • Full Time:
  • Galston YFC
  • 4-2
  • Tass Juniors


Galston YFC
Tass Juniors

1) Joe Aiwansoba. (Gk)
2) Kieran Boylan. (c)
3) Daniel Law.
4) Grant Semple.
5) Chris Leggit.
6) Adam Bolland
7) Greg Hampshire.
8) Liam Murray.
9) Nick Terry.
10) Cameron Craig.
11) Findlay Holden.
12) Cameron McCall.
14) Adam Barclay.
20) Ryan Young.
21) Craig Roney.

1) Shaun McKinney. (Gk)
21) Dellyn Donachy. (Gk)
10) Matthew Reid. (c)
2) Connor Ford.
3) Dylan Stevely.
5) Jonathon Taggart.
6) Dylan Thomson.
8) Robert Murphy.
9) Nathan Scott.
11) Jamie Quigley.
7) Adam Clarke.
22) Kieran Larmour.
18) Alan Masson.
77) Ciaran Lunny.
99) Scott Burns.

Star Player
Galston YFC
Tass Juniors
Nick Terry. The young man scored a hat trick so no questions can be asked. Findlay Holden was a menace for longer periods perhaps, but Nick fully deserves his MOTM award for a masterclass in finishing.
Connor Ford. The left-back did not put a foot wrong today, getting up and down the left flank very quickly as well as being solid in the tackle.
Magic Moment
Galston YFC
Tass Juniors
Nick Terry's third goal was a beauty. A delicate lob that you just can't teach (despite what his manager thinks!) Whatsmore, is that it sealed a super hat trick.
Their opening goal was of the highest quality. A superb break involving lots of the team, if they had demonstrated this kind of fluid, passing attack Tass would have surely came away with something. If they can do similar attacks in other games, expect Tass to be a force this season.
Club Views
Galston YFC
Tass Juniors
Nick Terry, Galston MOTM, said: "Yeah I am just relieved that we won to be honest. I know how close they were to us in the league. I know I scored a hat trick but the main thing was that the team won."
Matthew Reid, Tass Juniors Captain, said: "I think that over the course of the game we had more possession than they did. We did not take some of the chances we had today and they took theirs. We maybe had more smaller chances, but we did not take them and I think that is why we lost."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments