Home My YFS

Bellfield and Southside serve up 11 goal storm

Bellfield YFC 5

MacLaughland (3), Caldow, Stewart

Southside FC 6

Reid (2), Barr, Connell, Forbes, Haymarch
  • Sunday, 06 October 2013
  • Scott Ellis Playing Fields
  • Under 17´s
  • Central Ayrshire YFA

Kyle Brown | YFS South East Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Eleven goals, three penalties and drama at every turn in the match between Bellfield and Southside 1997s will mean I won't have many better games to report on for the rest of my life! Ultimately, Southside won the match by a single goal, but they have their keeper and lady luck to thank for the result, as Bellfield, sitting second bottom of the league, will surely be left bamboozled as to how they didn't win the match, or at the very least, get a point.
At half past one on Sunday October 6th, it looked a miserable day down at Struthers Park in Kilmarnock, and the Ayr-based Southside may have been wondering if the game would be postponed. Thankfully, Struthers is an excellent pitch, and this cracker of a match went ahead. Ironically, come two o'clock, the sun was shining, and all of a sudden there was a huge turn out to watch this match.  The game kicked off at 2pm, but Bellfield didn't start until about quarter past: they gifted Southside an early lead. Blaine Swift drove down the left side, and not a single challenge was made on him. His dinked cross evaded the outstretched Allan Tipping's glove, and Stuart Reid headed home.  
It should have been 2-0 five minutes later. Chrissy Hamilton's through ball found Craig Bova's run, and the right-back's shot was blocked by Tipping, expertly making amends for the first goal. Then the big goalie parried brilliantly from Blaine Swift's drive from the penalty spot area moments thereafter.  This was Southside's best period of play in the entire match. Bellfield finally woke up and on the thirteenth minute mark found themselves level. Mikey Stewart played in Scott Cowie, and the striker's shot was saved by Spiers, and then Stewart's follow up was also blocked and cleared, however, only as far as Adam Wales who drove back into the box and found his resulting shot blocked, but eventually Blair 'Big Mac' MacLaughland was on hand to stab the loose ball home. That seemed to kickstart Bellfield, and for the rest of the match they played attacking football, created chances and sometimes left themselves open to the counter. Sadly, the latter proved to be decisive on the result, but it really was a cracking match.  Firstly, Cowie was in again after a superb flick on from Wales. Spiers - who had just played forty five minutes for Kilmarnock and will complete his move tomorrow - made an outstanding stop.
Moments later, it was Josh Caldow's turn to be stopped by Spiers, as the two captains faced each other the winger couldn't beat Spiers from an angle.  However, it was Southside who got their noses back in front. From a corner, Caldow needlessly slide tacked Bova from behind, getting nowhere near the ball, and gifting the Ayr side a penalty. Roy Barr blasted the ball home to make it 2-1, giving Tipping no chance and - that cliché - actually bursting the net.  Soon after, it was Cowie again being foiled by Spiers. He brilliantly controlled a long ball, and found himself too much room to turn and shoot from fifteen yards, but it wasn't to be the strikers day at all. Seven minutes prior to half time, Caldow played in Stewart, and his low drive had everyone holding their breath, but he could not beat the frame of the goal, as it bounced off the post and out. He knows himself he should have scored though. That proved costly, as Southside hit Bellfield on the break, and in a costly few moments, were soon down 4-1.  Roy Barr controlled a switch right-to-left ball, and powered to the byline, cutting it back for overzealously attacking centre half Rory Connell, who tapped home.
Straight from centre, Bellfield gave the ball away and Reid chasing a hopeful ball through, Tipping called for the ball and slid out, but his own defender Ryan Spence took the ball away from him, was easily disposed, and Reid had an open goal to tap into.  It could have been more. Reid had the ball in the net moments later, but was wrongly adjudged to be offside. Marco Pieroni then was thwarted by Tipping, but had the left midfielder passed the ball square, it would have been a certain goal. That concluded the first half action, with Southside three goals to the good.
  • Half Time:
  • Bellfield YFC
  • 1-4
  • Southside FC
Whilst a three goal lead would be more than enough cushion come half time in professional football, it is a different story in youth football. I think everyone was aware that Bellfield were still in the game, and that started off an amazing second half.  Straight from the kick off, everyone pitch side had though Stewart had pulled one back for the blue of Bellfield, twisting and turning and producing a curling effort that was moving away from Spiers and yet the Kilmarnock to be goalkeeper made a wonderful flying effort to tip the ball wide. However, it was 4-2 five minutes later. Making amends for his first half error, Caldow was back to being Captain Fantastic. Out of the blue, he inspired his team - first he blasted home a long range strike to bring the game to within two goals. He was then involved in Bellfield's third goal as well. He picked the ball up out wide and powered into the box, and almost left three defenders in his wake, but one, or more probably a combination of a few of said defenders, tripped him. Penalty to Bellfield. 'Big Mac' stepped up, and rolled it into the bottom corner, sending Spiers the other way. 3-4.  
Cowie must have thought he had made it four all seconds later: Wales' great work picked him out at the back post, and after a cute dink over Spiers, the ball didn't seem to have the legs to go over the line, and the retreating Zach Ross cleared it in the nick of time. On the hour mark, Southside had a couple of near misses, the sliding Callum Haymarch just inches away from restoring his side's two goal margin.  Five minutes later, it was finally 4-4! A stunning turn around from the home side; they had scored three goals in nineteen wonderful minutes. However, this one was harsh on Southside. A ball was played into Cowie's feet, and Ross seemed to win the ball. However, the ref awarded a penalty, infuriating the away side, but the home side did have a few claims. Situated the opposite side of park, I - and not to paraphrase Arsene Wenger - I couldn't really see what happened. However, I think it was perhaps irrational from the full back to slide in a scissor motion from behind, although Ross would argue he won the ball. You don't often see people taking two penalties in one game, but Big Mac stepped up to rifle it low and hard, and complete a sensational hat trick, the first player to do so against Southside.  
Cruelly though, Southside regained their lead four minutes later, in the worst possible fashion for the home side. Substitute Grant Forbes' corner went straight into the far post net, bemusing everyone, even himself. People say you are most vulnerable when you have just scored, but here there was no fault of Bellfield, and no great play by Southside either.  The game slowed down for about ten more minutes, but Bellfield nearly got some luck of their own. Caldow's whipped free kick was punched by Spiers straight off of Stewart, but it went narrowly wide.  However, this started a remarkable final twelve minutes, building to a grandstand finish.  Caldow - a real threat all day due to some exceptional crosses - found Wales who had a free header; the winger should have found the back of the net, but instead he headed miles over.  Spiers went long from the resulting goal kick; it was not properly dealt with by the Bellfield defence, and Haymarch swept in, and after going one on one he coolly curled it beyond Tipping. I met the talented midfielder once at a party in my local Crosshouse just at the end of last season, where he told me St Mirren were tracking him. The Buddies not taking the central midfielder on is Southside's gain; he gave some perspiration and inspiration in today's game - and scored what has proved to be today's winner.  
Mikey Stewart must have thought he had made it 6-5 after getting the ball gifted to him from a goal kick, he had chipped Spiers expertly and yet it went wide. Tipping then made his only top drawer save of the second half denying substitute Taylor Hollywood a goal. From that resulting save, the excellent Adam Houston won the ball from Forbes, and the latter threw the former onto the floor; he can count himself lucky not to have seen at least a yellow, the minimum he should have expected. We all act rashly though, and after catching up with him after the game, he was sorry about it.  Bellfield will be glad the referee allowed to play on though. Wales won a free kick outside the box, and whilst Southside protested, Mikey Stewart had lined the ball up. Spiers had time to then line his wall up, so there was a lot of time ticking on Stewart. The former Ayr man blasted into the bottom corner expertly though, making it 5-6.  
Sadly though, that concluded the action of a stunning game. Southside had forced Tipping into a lot of routine saves, but Bellfield had forced Spiers into a handful of stunning saves. Ultimately, Bellfield had conceded three really poor goals, and seemed short of luck. They were by far the better side. However, you don't score six goals and deserve to lose. In fairness, the game was a cracker, and 15-15 would have been a fair result. I await the return fixture, and Southside will have to step it up if they are to beat Bellfield again this season - the man who kept them in the game, time and time again, will be a Kilmarnock goalkeeper this time next week. Judging on today's performance, he won't be too bad a signing either.
  • Full Time:
  • Bellfield YFC
  • 5-6
  • Southside FC


Bellfield YFC
Southside FC
1) Allan Tipping
3) Louis Deay
4) Josh Rodgers
5) Blair McLaughland
7) Josh Caldow (c)
8) Adam Houston
9) Adam Wales
11) Cameron Elliot
13) Michael Stewart
14) Michael Boyd
15) Scott Cowie
2) Liam Lorimor
6) Ryan Spence
10) Joao Carlos Luis
12) Kieran Heaney
14) Stuart Leitch
1) Craig Spiers (c)
2) Craig Bova
3) Zach Ross
5) Rory Connell
7) Christopher Hamilton
8) Marco Pieroni
9) Roy Barr
10) Blaine Swift
14) Stuart Reid
16) Callum Haymarch
17) Kier Samson
4) Taylor Hollywood
6) Lewis Nielson
11) Grant Forbes
15) Jordon Dunn
18) David McClelland
Star Player
Bellfield YFC
Southside FC
I think Adam Houston was excellent in this match. It showed his class when you keep players like Roy Barr and Grant Forbes quiet, and they both often voiced their frustration. On the other hand, McLaughland scored a scrappy hat trick but they all count. the big man has stood up and hit two excellent penalties, without his composure Bellfield would have crumbled. I can't pick a winner between these two.
Craig Spiers can be delighted that on his last game as a Southside player, he was instrumental in his team not picking up just three points, but actually any points at all. If this game was a week later, Bellfield would have certainly won. Wore the honorary captain's armband today.
Magic Moment
Bellfield YFC
Southside FC
Michael Stewart's wonderful free kick in the dying moment of the game. Had this game earlier the result may have been different.
Craig Spiers' save from Michael Stewart's shot early in the second half. A wonderful stop to deny a mid air ball that was always moving more away from him the closer it got.
Club Views
Bellfield YFC
Southside FC
Alex Smith, Bellfield Manager: "Excellent game of football, neither team deserved to lose. Craig Spiers proved why he's going to Kilmarnock next week. Craig, I hate ye! (Not really!)"
Grant Forbes, Southside player: "Well I was gutted I was on the bench. However, I think I came on and proved myself, scoring and setting up a goal."
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments