Home My YFS
Monday, 02 September 2013 16:39

Stewarton subdue Harp in league action

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Stewarton Annick
Dumbarton Harp
U21s WoS YFL 2nd Division
31st August 2013
Both of the teams met looking to win their first points of the season. The hosts had lost their first two games of the season 4-3 and 6-0 respectively while Dumbarton had been beaten 2-1 and 5-2 in the opening two league fixtures of the season. 
From the start of the match Stewarton looked the more comfortable of the sides, despite their squad being made up of players young enough to still be at Under 19s. They were able to create chances at will with the pace of right winger Jordan Hay and striker David Sinclair causing Dumbarton plenty of problems. 
The first goal of the match went with the run of play as Stewarton opened the scoring. Midway through the first half, Sinclair picked the ball up twenty-five yards out. He got the ball out of his feet and struck a shot towards goal. The Dumbarton keeper spilled the shot and Hay, who had got into the box from his wide berth was able to get onto the rebound and force the ball into the net from six yards out. 
Stewarton continued with their pressure with Sinclair continuing to cause problems to the visitors’ defence. The attacker had a very good penalty shout turned down as he burst passed the defence and got himself into the area before being brought down from behind. 
Just before half time, Stewarton doubled their lead with Jordan Hay getting his second of the day from the penalty spot. David Sinclair was able to drive through the defence yet again to find himself one-on-one with the Dumbarton keeper. The attacker knocked the ball passed the keeper who then brought him down, this one was a clear penalty. Hay stepped up and sent the keeper the wrong way with a low drive. 
At half time, the sides went in with the home team leading 2-0. Stewarton deserved their lead as they were playing the football in Dumbarton’s half for the majority of the opening period with their attackers looking very lively.
Half Time: Stewarton Annick 2-0 Dumbarton Harp
The second half continued in the same vein as the first half had finished with Stewarton the side that were pressing. They continued to create chances but were unable to add to their lead. 
Dumbarton were able to get themselves back into the game twenty minutes from time as they scored from a long ball down the middle of the park. The ball bounced and caused chaos between Stewarton’s keeper and defenders with the attacker being the one to benefit as he knicked in and finished neatly from twelve yards from goal. 
The goal buoyed the guests and they piled on the pressure for the next ten minutes. Stewarton had their backs against the wall but stood strong and held out, restricting Dumbarton to chances from distance and nothing clear cut. 
With ten minutes remaining, Stewarton seemingly put the game to bed as Jordan Hay grabbed his hat-trick. The hosts broke down the right hand side with Hay and striker Mark Askew. Hay got himself inside the area, got to the by-line but instead of crossing he cut back onto his left foot. He set himself and toed the ball inside the far post from six yards out to secure the result for Stewarton. 
Stewarton had the better of the remainder of the game without causing too many clear chances. Defender Jack Harkness was able to add a fourth goal with a shot from distance. Harkness found space thirty yards from goal, just right from centre. He took the shot on and it finished in the top corner, the keeper had no chance. 
There were no more chances in the last five minutes of the match as Stewarton tried to keep the ball and Dumbarton seemed to be waiting for the final whistle to blow. 
Full Time: Stewarton Annick 4-1 Dumbarton Harp
Report by Ross Mitchell
Last modified on Monday, 02 September 2013 17:04
Login to post comments