Home My YFS


JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 2659

Tuesday, 04 June 2013 01:00

Chelsea snatch cup final from Linwood

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Linwood Rangers
Chelsea BC
Muir 10
Williamson 15
Hamilton 67


Winton Murdoch Cup - Winners
Keanie Park, Johnstone

Dean Robertson Kieran Muir

By Kieran Muir and Dean Robertson
YFS West Region Reporters

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Today's game in the glorious sunshine at Keanie Park, Johnstone, saw a hotly contested match between Linwood Rangers and Chelsea BC in the PJ&DYFL Winton Murdoch League Cup final which saw Chelsea run out as last minute winners.

Chelsea faced the daunting task of taking on Scottish Cup winners and newly wrong West Region Cup champions (not to mention league champions of the top flight). However, the fact that Linwood had played already this weekend, and coming off the back of clinching their own league (Division 2) and cup double, gave Chelsea cause for optimism.

It was Chelsea who got the final underway but there was a slow start to the game due to both teams trying to settle into their rhythm. Linwood though were the first team to have a goal scoring opportunity when a cross from Harvey Brown was pushed away by the goalkeeper only to find Ryan Muir who had the resulting shot blocked. It was only moments later when Muir had Linwood's second opportunity at goal when he was put through one on one with the keeper but the keeper won the race to the ball.

The deadlock was broken when Muir was given a third chance on goal when yet again he was one on one with the goalie but this time he won the race and taped the ball into the net.

The goal seemed to give Linwood the extra boost which allowed them to take the majority of possession which gave them to control the early stages. This control was shown when Bill McIntosh whipped in a corner which found the head of Callum Strain who got his head to the ball but it only found the side net and when Ryan McCotter had a shot from a free kick saved by the Chelsea keeper.

But it was Chelsea who upset Linwood's rhythm when a goal from Scott Williamson levelled the scores. It was a goal good enough to grace any competition as Williamson was able to find the back net from a wide position with a powerful shot.

Chelsea looked to score again when Adam Hamilton put Joe Dickson through on goal but only to see the offside flag raised by the linesman.

Linwood began to take the edge in the game when Bill McIntosh had a long range effort saved by the Chelsea keeper. They then found another chance when Ryan Muir had a shot from the edge of the box which went just wide. Callum Strain then had a shot which was deflected for a corner which created another goal scoring chance which wasn't taken.

Chelsea then found themselves with a chance of their own when Scott Williamson was through on goal but was taken out by the goalkeeper who received a yellow card and conceded a free kick at the edge of the box. Joe Dickson stepped up and hit the free kick low and hard but the ball went wide of the post. This would prove to be the last real action of the first half as the referee blew the whistle.

Half Time: Linwood Rangers 1-1 Chelsea BC

Linwood Rangers got the second half underway but it was Chelsea who started the strongest by having some chances on goal. First of all Harris Shah had a shot from the edge of the box which went wide. The second chance came when Joe Dickson had a shot that went just over the cross bar.

After being under pressure Linwood got a chance through a free kick which found its way to Callum Strain who saw his shot go over the bar. After this attempt for Linwood, Chelsea were next to have a chance when Jamie Woodley had a shot saved by the goalkeeper.

Linwood began to regain the control that they had in the first half as Callum Strain had a shot saved by the diving Chelsea goal keeper. Cameron Breadner had a shot that went wide of the near post.

Chelsea found another foothold in the game by creating a few chances towards goal but none troubled the keeper as they were either high or wide. Linwood responded when Cameron Breadner had a volley fly wide.

As the game entered the closing minutes both teams looked to find that winning goal and it came for Chelsea. Adam Hamilton found himself in the box when the ball landed in his path and he stuck out a leg to knock the ball past the charging goalkeeper. The ball went into the net to send the bench into jubilant celebration and to give his team the all important goal and the final whistle drew closer.

Linwood Rangers pushed for an equaliser but it never came and Chelsea celebrated causing an upset and landing a treble of their own.

Full Time: Linwood Rangers 1-2 Chelsea BC


Linwood Rangers Chelsea BC
1. Irwin Gray
2. Kris Alexander
3. Bill McIntosh
4. Jordan MacKay
5. Max Bridgewater
6. Harvey Brown
7. Ryan McCotter
8. Lewis McTzdsy
9. Ryan Muir
10. Reece Gallagher  
11. Cameron Brender
12. Cameron Coughtie
14. Callum Starin
15. Liam Corr
16. Ally Harris
19. Nathan Andrew
1. Daniel Graham
2. Steven Clarkson
3. Thomas McSkimming
4. Tom Coyle
5. Ian Last
6. Ewan MacLeod
7. Dean Gray
8. Adam Hamilton
9. Harris Shah
10. Joe Dickson
11. Scott Williamson
12. Andrew Sutherland
14. Jamie Woodley
15. Ross Gilmour
16. Jack McCabe
17. Jack McCulloch
Ryan Muir scored a good, very well taken goal and contributed well to attacking play.
Adam Hamilton defended well and then scored a good goal to win the cup.
Linwood Rangers' coach said: "It was a good game, I thought we played well. Chelsea scored two good goals and we can't complain."
Chelsea BC Manager said "It was a really tight game and highly competitive but very enjoyable and I'm extreemly happy."
Last modified on Tuesday, 30 July 2013 13:48

Login to post comments