Home My YFS
Monday, 27 May 2013 12:52

Brittish champs Banny complete double over Dunbar

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Bannerman HS
Dunbar Grammar
McKay (2)


British Isles Cup - Final
Toryglen Regional Football Centre

Forde McGhee

By Forde McGhee
YFS West Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @fordemc14

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

View Photo GalleryDiscuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Bannerman were crowned British isles champions after Cameron McKay's double sealed the victory against opposition Dunbar. Both sides had met just a few weeks prior in the SSFA Shield final with Dunbar being heart broken after being narrowly deafted by the Glasgow side on penalties. This time though Dunbar were looking for revenge and to trump Banny's Scottish crown with that of a whole of Britain competition.

Both sides had excelled over the visiting opposition in Glasgow this weekend. Bannerman had beaten Gorey CC of Republic of Ireland and Olchfa School of Wales. Dunbar had overcame St Mary's Grammar of Northern Ireland and England's Seaton Burn Community School.

After playing in the outdoor pitches at Toryglen Regional Football Centre, the attention switched indoors for the final. The lush playing surface was overseen by a healthy crowd in the stand.

Dunbar had the first real chance of the game when striker Ryan Young latched onto a through ball and his shot was deflected nearly looping over the keepers head and into the net but to the Bannerman's teams relief the ball ended up just over for a corner.

Mitchell Barclay showed great vision to pick out Cameron McKay who showed a great burst of pace to beat his marker and fire a well struck shot towards goal but Dunbar goalkeeper Stuart Allan did well to parry the shot wide of the goal.

Bannerman looked like they were starting to get in a flow and chances were coming thick and fast for the boys in purple, Cameron McKay had his hands in his head after his sweetly struck effort smashed off the bar and out of play.

The SSFA shield champions finally broke the deadlock and it was talisman Cameron McKay with a sublime finish, a great ball from the back resulted in McKay touching the ball into the air with his head the twirling his body round to meet the ball for a thunderous volley that the Dunbar keeper could only stand and admire.

Ten minutes later Cameron McKay added his and Banny's second with another great strike this time the striker controlling with ease on the edge of the box and curling the ball with pace and power in to the far post sending Bannerman in 2-0 up at the break.

Half Time: Bannerman High School 2-0 Dunbar Grammar School

Dunbar were looking for a comeback in this second half and straight from kick off the side looked dangerous especially when Ewan Stark showed great skill to burst into the box but just fire his shot into the side netting.

Ryan Young looked certain to pull a goal back when Ewan Starks excellent through ball found the Dunbar number nine but to every ones disbelief Young's shot rattled the post and trickled out for a Banny goal kick.

Bannerman looked like they were just trying to hold on to their two goal advantage rather than add to it with just under 15 minutes of the match remaining.

Dunbar continued to apply pressure but the Glasgow outfit's defence was looking solid and didn't look like conceding before the final whistle. Both sets of players looked tired after playing a lot of football over the last three days but Dunbar knew they had to push on if they wanted to have any chance of a miraculous comeback - something they had done before on more than one occasion.

One last long throw in saw nearly every Dunbar player crowd the right hand side but the referee's whistle sounded and Bannerman were the champions, another cup final heartbreak for Dunbar after seeing off opposition from all over Britain this all Scottish final was not short of entertainment.

Both sides have had a remarkable journey and shown Scottish school football in the best possible light. They deserve their place at the top of the nation's school football scene and no doubt Dunbar will be back next season to try and take Bannerman's well deserved crown.

Full Time: Bannerman High School 2-0 Dunbar Grammar School

Bannerman High School Dunbar Grammar School
 1. Ross Elliot
2. Rhys Walker
3. Jonathan Martin
4. Lewis Warnock
5. Fraser Kennedy 
6. Kieran Harkins
7. Mitchell Barclay
8. Cameron Foy
9. Cameron McKay
10. Mark Lamont
11. Peter Lamont
12. Greg Johnston
14. Gary Watson
15. John Smith
17. Sean Hughes
1. Stuart Allan
2. Rory Pilbeam
3. Jamie Chapman
4. Ewan Stark
5. Coll Reekie
6. Jack Cook
7. Andrew Taylor
8. Liam Gregory
9. Ryan Young
10. Cameron McAlpine
11. Connnal Prior
12. Luke Archibald
14. Charlie Skidmore
15. Liam Browne
16. David Darling
17. Bradley Wright
Cameron McKay was the difference between the two teams today both finishes were outstanding which earns him man of the match.
Ryan Young worked hard all game and was really unlucky not to get on the scoresheet.
Last modified on Tuesday, 30 July 2013 14:07
Forde McGhee

Forde McGhee | YFS West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments