Home My YFS
Saturday, 18 May 2013 18:42

Caledonian see off Valspar challenge

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Caledonian Youth
Valspar BC
Boyd 40
Perry 70+3


U14 WoS YFL League Cup - Final Dam Park, Ayr


By Calum McClurkin
YFS South West Region Reporter
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. | Twitter: @calummcclurkin

Click here to find out more about the YFS Journalism & Media Team. 

Discuss the Match | Buy Photos and Souvenirs

Caledonian edged out Valspar at a wet Dam Park to win the West of Scotland under 14s League Cup final.

Both teams started brightly in the driving rain but it was Caledonian who managed to create the best of the few chances in the first half.

After an even start to the game, Caledonian gradually took control of the contest. The first opportunity fell to Caledonian in the ninth minute. Cameron Ross fired a shot straight at the goalkeeper from 14 yards after some neat play down the right side.

Four minutes later Lee McLymont curled a shot wide from 20 yards for Caley. The first flashpoint of the final arrived in the 21st minute when Valspar goalkeeper, Shane McWee, chopped down McLymont inches outside the area. The resulting free kick was wastefully smacked into the wall.

Cameron Ross misjudged his jump crucially when unmarked six yards out in the 24th minute and 60 seconds later Valspar created their first chance when Josh Wood tested the Caley keeper from 25 yards. In the 33rd minute, Caley came close again when it looked like Valspar’s left back, Zak Page, put through his own net by slicing Fraser Lamont’s vicious cross towards his own goal but he miraculously recovered to hook the ball off the line via the post.

Valspar were riding their luck towards the end of the half and on the stroke of half time the best chance of the match presented itself to Caledonian. More right wing trickery allowed Morgan Bird to unleash a 14 yard shot from a tight angle but McWee got his fingertips on it to tip the ball over the bar.

Half Time: Caledonian Youth 0-0 Valspar BC

The second half was much more open than the first and Valspar started to show more attacking intent early on. A long free kick into the Caley box found Euan Anderson but he lashed a wild half volley well over from 12 yards in the 38th minute.

That miss was punished two minutes later when Caley broke the deadlock with a well worked opener. Most of their good work in the first half stemmed from the right side but a switch of play to the left wing caught Valspar out. A low cross to the back post from Patrick Haddow evaded Valspar’s defence and reached Andy Boyd before the hesitant goalkeeper four yards from goal who tucked the ball home to give Caley the lead.

Caley changed their tactics and decided to hold on to what they had by instructing their midfield to sit deeper to snuff out Valspar’s creativity and it was a plan that worked well. Another nine minutes passed until Valspar created a chance in the 49th minute when Lewis Hannah’s free kick was clutched at the second attempt by Caley keeper, Kyle McLymont.

Three minutes later Valspar had a goal chopped off for offside when Zak Page was sent clean through and in the 62nd minute Hannah looped another long range free kick towards goal but it floated narrowly over the Caley crossbar.

Caley looked relatively comfortable at the back despite defendiong for the majority of the second half. Whatever was thrown at them was being dealt with. They also looked dangerous on the break. In the 63rd minute when Cameron Ross played through Ciaran Perry but he poked his effort just wide.

In the last five minutes Valspar chucked on extra strikers in the hope of a late goal to take the final into extra time. Their efforts were nearly rewarded two minutes from time. Firstly Jack Haldin nearly broke clean on goal but a last ditch tackle prevented him getting a shot on goal then from the resulting corner pinball ensued in the goalmouth before the ball finally broke to Ryan Spiers at the back post but his close range shot was blocked by a number of Caley defenders throwing themselves at the ball.

Perry flashed a shot from distance just wide at the other end and in the third minute of injury time the same player wrapped up the cup win for Caley. A blistering break down the left side from McLymont took Caley midway inside Valspar’s half, he then turned infield and played through the onrushing Perry to go one on one with the goalkeeper. His first attempt was saved but he followed in to score the rebound.

Full Time: Caledonian Youth 2-0 Valspar BC


Caledonian Youth Valspar BC
1. Kyle McLymont
2. Calum Eskdale 
3. Adam Dunabie 
4. Jamie McCorkell 
5. Bailey Fairbairn 
6. Calum Reddick 
7. Lewis Ross 
8. Cameron Ross
9. Andy Boyd
10. Morgan Bird 
11. Lee McLymont  
12. Johnnie Burdon 
15. Patrick Haddow 
16. Fraser Lamont 
17. Ciaran Perry
18. Harry Hogg
1. Shane McWee 
2. Jack Haddin 
3. Fergus Loch 
4. Zak Page 
5. Lewis Hannah 
6. Calum Walker 
7. Josh Wood 
8. Ross Connelly 
9. Frazer Dempsey 
10. Jack Harvey 
11. Miguel McIntosh
12. Euan Anderson  
15. Ryan McCrone 
18. Ryan Spiers
66. Struan Tremble
00. Noel Harris
A fantastic team performance from Caledonian produced many contenders for man of the match but Cameron Ross shaded it as he was the most creative and consistent player.
Frazer Dempsey showed some real quality for Valspar early on. He was heavily marked but his range of passing was incredible today.
Last modified on Sunday, 04 August 2013 23:49
Calum McClurkin

Calum McClurkin | YFS South West Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

Login to post comments