Home My YFS
Sunday, 24 February 2013 18:44

Annick's fine form continues with Thistle win

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)


Stewarton Annick
Ardgowan Thistle
U16 Paisley, Johnstone & District YFL - D2
Stewarton 3G
The last time these two sides met Stewarton ran out 3-0 comfortable winners but there was enough in the Ardgowan team that ensured the Stewarton management team did not let their players take this game lightly. With Stewarton sitting top and Ardgowan joint second the scene was set for a tantalising fixture and it wasn't to disappoint.

Despite the early flutters of snow the weather held out and the game was played in excellent conditions and on grass for a change. The early minutes of the game saw Stewarton press Ardgowan and forcing them in to the back foot Stewarton came close via Mason and Campbell. Even this early in the game you could see that Todd in goals for the visitors was going to have a huge say in the outcome of this match with a couple of decent saves.

Ardgowan had pace up front in the form of striker Anderson and they tried to use that out ball as much as possible with the striker breaking free on a couple of occasions only to be thwarted by the Stewarton rearguard and keeper Mitchell. The park conditions although flat ensured that a battle had to be won in the middle of the park and it was Stewarton that was shading it and with the class of Captain Hamill spearheading the midfield Stewarton kept the pressure on.

Stewarton had and excellent opportunity to open the scoring when a delightful cross from Hammill found wide man Campbell unmarked at the back post but the midfielder could only volley over the bar. Shortly after and a corner from Campbell was headed against the bar by Mason and the follow up shot was brilliantly saved by Todd. Another corner and this time Hammill swung a great ball over that was met by Mason again and headed goal ward, the keeper caught it but the ball was well over the line and the referee waved play on.

Shortly after this and nearing the end of the 1st half Stewarton opened the scoring after Mason muscled his marker off the ball and laid the ball back to the onrushing Hunter who calmly slotted the ball home.

Half Time: Stewarton Annick 1-0 Ardgowan Thistle

The second half started the same way the 1st ended with Stewarton in the ascendency, big striker Mason was causing havoc every time he got the ball with his pocket rocket partner Carruth not giving the defenders time to clear their lines. Mason was to come close again when his angled powerful shot was superbly saved by the inspired Todd again. Campbell was to have another chance blazed over the bar after a superb long through ball from Hammill.

Ardgowan kept at it and as long as the score line remained they were in with a shout but centre half Barrie was in no mood to let anything past supported by Williamson, Julyan and McGhee anything that did get past was mopped up by Mitchell in the Stewarton goal.

Left wide man McMaster sent a ling speculative cross come shot which had to be turned over the bar by Todd. shortly after and McMaster was at it again driving past 3 defenders before placing a well driven low cross which failed to find a Stewarton striker. Hunter was bossing the midfield winning tackles and driving forward at every opportunity nearly adding to his count by coming close on a couple of occasions. Despite Stewartons missed chances Ardgowan always looked dangerous in the break. But they just couldn't capatilise and on the 76th minute Mason scored with a powerful header to enable Stewarton to see out the remaining 4 minutes comfortably.

Stewarton know that every game they play is going to get tougher as every team wants to be the first to take any points off them this season. However, none will try harder than Ardgowan did today and although the balance of play swung Stewartons way Ardgowan put up a great fight and helped to wake Stewarton up and hopefully spur them on to the league title.

Stewarton travel to Greenock on league duty against St Andrews next week, this will be the 3rd time in 4 weeks these teams have met with Stewarton winning comfortably on both occasions, but the tight pitch always ensures a good game.

Full Time: Stewarton Annick 2-0 Ardgowan Thistle

Stewarton Annick: Mitchell (GK), Williamson, McGhee, Julyan, Barrie, McMaster, Hamill (cpt), Hunter, Campbell, Mason, Carruth, Milne, Scott, Fraser, Ronald.

Ardgowan Thistle: Todd (GK), Shearer, Lynn, Steele, Lesslie, Carmichael, Thomson, Flynn, McLean, Pollock, MCGregor, Anderson, McDonald, Docherty, Carberry.
Last modified on Thursday, 08 August 2013 01:24
Login to post comments