Home My YFS
Sunday, 10 June 2012 16:00

KSC land more silverware after Tass win

Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

KSC Town Under 14s
Tass Thistle Saltires Under 14s
Competition: CYP Cup - Final
Venue: Dam Park, Ayr
Date: 10/06/2012
Author: Ross Mitchell
KSC Town began this game looking to win a second trophy this week after winning the Ayr International Youth Football Tournament on Monday.  In order to do this, though, they had to overcome a tough a strong Tass side looking to get their hands on some silverware.  

Tass started like a house on fire and were able to open the scoring with the first attack of the game.  Lovely play down the right hand side led to Gary Kilpatrick receiving a pass on the edge of the area.  He played a lovely first time pass to winger Steven Cassidy who got onto the ball and drilled it passed the keeper from just inside Town’s penalty box.

Town though, responded very well and went on to dominate the rest of the half.  Their first chance came through Christopher Kay.  His team mate Christopher Wilson laid him off around 20 yards out, central to goal.  He struck a powerful which came back off the post and was then cleared.

Another nice move led to Town’s next decent chance.  Reece Cunningham drove down the left wing and got to the by-line.  He crossed the ball back to Mark Curragh who laid off Christopher Kay first time.  Kay took his shot first time as well but his effort finished wide of the post.

Town were finally able to equalise after more good work from Christopher Kay.  He was able to win the ball on the edge of Tass’ area and then squared the ball to Christopher Wilson.  The midfielder took a touch and then smashed the ball into the top corner from 20 yards out.

Town continued to press and look for a second goal.  Reece Cunningham caused a scare for the Tass players and fans after he was released down the right hand channel.  He got inside the area but was quite wide, the striker played a cross/shot towards the back post which hit the bar and was then cleared.

Mark Curragh was next to try and put his side ahead.  He was given the ball inside the Tass area with his back to the goal.  He turned very smartly, created space for himself but he put his shot wide of the post.  

The next attack of the game saw Town put themselves ahead.  Christopher Wilson won the ball on the edge of the Tass box.  He smashed a shot towards goal which forced a good save from Tass’ Darren Wylie who tipped the ball around the post.  From the resulting corner, Jay McLymont won a header at the near post which ended up in the net after cracking off the bar.

This put Town 2-1 up and they were able to add another to their lead with their next shot on goal.  The ball was not cleared after a Town corner and eventually it fell to Jack Petrie.  He took a shot from 20 yards out which was powered through a large group of players and into the net, leaving the keeper with no chance.

With the final attack of the game, Town were given the chance to add a fourth before the half time whistle by being awarded a penalty for handball inside, which seemed very harsh from my position.  Nevertheless, Reece Cunningham stepped up but put his shot wide from the spot as he looked to put the ball into the bottom left corner, the keeper’s right.

At half time, Town led 3-1.  The half had been dominated by Town who were not bothered by conceding a goal so early on.  Town could have and probably should have scored more goals when you look at the chances they were able to create.  Tass started well and got themselves an early goal.  Even though they were being pushed back by Town’s constant attacks Tass looked like they could cause their opponents problems on the counter attack with the pace of their wingers and strikers.     

Half Time:  KSC Town 3 – 1 Tass Thistle Saltires   
The second half began and it was evident early on that both sides tried to tighten up, more notably Tass who did their best to not let Town have any more chances on goal.  Despite this, there was another three goals to be shared in the game.

Town were able to make their first chance of the half as they scored, making the score 4-1.  John Monan got down the right wing and was able to cross the ball towards the back post.  Tass’ keeper tried to collect the ball in the air but missed and allowed Christopher Kay to get in to head the ball in from 2 yards out.

Tass hit back quickly to give themselves some hope of pulling back the deficit.  Sean Hendry played in a corner from the left wing towards the front post.  Ryan Kelly won the ball and was able to lob the Town goalie with a flick off his right foot.

Town finished off the scoring around 10 minutes from time.  Reece Cunningham was played down the left wing by Cameron Lockhart.  Cunningham drove to the goal line and crossed the ball to the back post where Lockhart was after he had followed his pass.  Lockhart had the simple task of tapping the ball in from 3 yards to make the score 5-2.

Tass had the final attack of the game and it came from good work from Gary Kilpatrick who robbed a Town defender on the right wing.  Kilpatrick drove into the area and struck a shot from 10 yards out.  Town’s Craig Livingstone made a good save to make the final score 5-2 to Town.

At full time, Town deserved their win.  They completely dominated the first half and could have been further ahead than they actually were.  Tass were not at their best but did play better in the second half compared to how they played in the first.

The Man of the Match award for KSC Town goes to Christopher Wilson.  There were a number of candidates such as Christopher Kay and Reece Cunningham but Wilson gets the award because he was brilliant in midfield.  He broke well from deep, put in good challenges which broke up Tass’ play and used the ball well, overall he deserved the brilliant goal he scored.  For Tass Thistle, the Man of the Match goes to Steven Cassidy.  He was a constant threat down the right wing and deserved the goal that he scored early on.  He looked like Tass’ main man who could have helped them get back into game.

Full Time:    KSC Town 5 – 2 Tass Thistle Saltires
KSC Town Under 14s
Tass Thistle Saltires Under 14s
1.  Craig Livingstone (GK)
4.  John Monan
5.  Jay McLymont
7.  Jack Petrie
8.  Mark Curragh
9.  Reece Cunningham
10.  Alan Murphy (c)
15.  Cameron Thomson
18.  Christopher Kay
20.  Christopher Wilson
23.  Jarod Keifer
2.  Devon Malcolm
3.  Darius Anderson
11.  Cameron Lockhart
16.  Jamie Lockhart
17.  Curtis McDonagh
22.  Darren Wylie (GK)
2.  David McMillan
3.  Chris O’Hagan
4.  Tyler Fullarton
5.  Sean Hendry (c)
7.  Scott Jennings
8.  Gary Kilpatrick
10.  Lewis Cursely
12.  Ryan Kelly
17.  Steven Cassidy
18.  Jordan Rae
6.  John Paton
9.  Joshua Tate
11.  Darren Dickie
14.  Alan Joner
19.  Ryan Evans
Givova are an Italian sportswear brand (click here to see range) who cover all tiers of the game, from Serie A's Chievo Verona and Catania, to grass roots. They have hit Scotland so look out for YFS team members in their Givova kit at your game!
Givova UK Man of the Match: Christopher Wilson
Givova UK Man of the Match: Steven Cassidy
Last modified on Thursday, 08 August 2013 14:04
Login to post comments