Home My YFS
Sunday, 03 April 2011 14:56

Boswell win derby to lift cup

Written by  Ross Mitchell
Rate this item
(0 votes)
Ayr Boswell Under 15s
Ayr Thistle Under 15s
Competition: Barr Homes Cup Final
Venue: Dam Park, Ayr
Date:  02/04/11
Author: Ross Mitchell
Ayr Thistle kicked the game off, which was the first of Finals Day at Dam Park, against Ayr Boswell who were playing in blue.  
Boswell started the match very well and got on the front foot very early on.  A good run from Darius Graham won Boswell a corner.  Thistle could not clear the danger and Reagan Finnie found the ball at his feet inside the opponent’s box, his chipped shot went just over.
Thistle replied with their first attack of the game, Lee McDonald winning them a corner.  Stuart Robson swung a good ball in and Peter Hinderley came out to punch the ball away but he got a poor contact with the ball playing the ball to Thistle’s Lee McDonald who was crowded out and unable to get his shot away.  
Boswell began to dominate possession and were able to create chances with ease.  Good play in the final third by Scott McHallam allowed him to play Kyle Campbell in just outside the penalty area.  He got his shot away but it was deflected for a corner.  The corner was flicked towards the back post where Scott McHallam won the header but it went just wide.
Boswell continued to have a lot more of the ball than Thistle.  Good work in the middle of the park by Calvin Kemp allowed him to find the space to pass to Marc Riddex.  Riddex cut in off the left wing onto his right foot and got a well hit shot away which was deflected and hit the bar and away for a corner, which came to nothing.
Thistle did not have any response to the waves of Boswell attacks.  Thistle’s only chance in the remainder of the first half came after a good spell of possession of their own.  Jordan Murphy got a cross in from the left wing which looked dangerous.  Sean Campbell tried to clear the ball with a header but the ball went towards his own goal and Peter Hinderley gathered the ball before it went in for an own goal or Lee McDonald could reach the loose ball.
After the slight scare in their own area, Boswell went back to controlling the game for the remainder of the half.  A brilliant back heel from Scott McHallam put Marc Riddex through just inside the Thistle area.  The winger finished well and thought he had put his team in the lead but the assistant’s flag was raised for offside and the goal did not stand.
The final chance of the half fell to Boswell’s McHallam who was around twenty yards out with his back to goal.  He turned well and created a yard of space to get his shot away but it was right at the Thistle keeper who held the shot well.
At half time, Boswell have dominated possession throughout the half but were unable to hit the target and test Cameron Taylor inside the Thistle goal as much as they should have with the amount of chances they created.  Thistle will look to pick their game up as they have not challenged Boswell at all, they only have the poor shooting of Boswell to thank for still being level.    
Half Time: Ayr Boswell Under 15s 2 – 0 Ayr Thistle Under 15s
Boswell kicked off the second half and looked to go on the attack from the off.  The instant pressure resulted in an early chance for Kyle Campbell who hit his shot over.
In search of the first goal of the game, Boswell’s centre back Reagan Finnie went on a run from his own half up to the opposition’s penalty area.  He played a brilliant chipped pass to Scott McHallam who was unmarked inside the Thistle area.  McHallam took the volley which went over when he should have taken a touch and use the time he had.
Boswell’s constant pressure eventually paid off when they took the lead from a Marc Riddex corner.  The ball was played in to the box and Darius Graham rose and headed the ball into the top corner, leaving Cameron Taylor with no chance.  
The game’s second goal came and Boswell’s lead was doubled very quickly after their first.  Darius Graham played a brilliant cross to Scott McHallam who was unmarked in the penalty area.  The striker took a touch and finished well passed Cameron Taylor. 
Boswell continued with their dominance in the second half, not allowing Thistle any time on the ball and keeping very well themselves.  The next chance of the game went to Boswell from a long clearance from defence.  The clearance put Scott McHallam through around 30 yards out from goal, with Cameron Taylor rushing out towards him.  McHallam looked to chip the keeper but his shot went narrowly wide.
Looking to increase their lead, Boswell continued to create chances.  Kyle Campbell found space inside the Thistle area, he controlled the cross which came from the right wing very well, and put his left footed shot just wide.
Scott McHallum continued to cause problems for the Thistle defence.  His last contribution before being substituted was to hit the post with a header from a looped cross from the left wing from left back Morgan Brown.
Just like the first half, Thistle had no response to the constant pressure from Boswell.  Reagan Finnie went another run from his centre back position into the Thistle half and took a shot from around twenty five yards out which went just over.
Still looking for a third goal to ensure the victory, Boswell went on another attack.  Kyle Campbell laid the ball off to Calvin Kemp on the edge of the area and Kemp’s shot went just over.
Thistle had their first attack of the half after good work on the left wing.  The cross was played into the box and caused confusion in the Bowell defence before it was cleared.  Thistle went on the attack again shortly afterwards.  Good play by sub Stephen Poulter put Lee McDonald through, however the pass was just too far in front of the attacker and the ball ran through to Peter Hinderley.
The final attack of the game went to Boswell.  Good play in midfield put Kyle Campbell through inside the Thistle box, his shot went just over though.  
The final whistle blew.  Boswell won the Barr Homes Cup.  
Boswell deserved the win as they were in the ascendency throughout the match.  They should have scored a lot more than they did but will be happy with the cup win.  For Thistle it just wasn't their day.  They will look for a much better performance in their next game against Irvine Youth.
Full Time: Ayr Boswell Under 15s 2 – 0 Ayr Thistle Under 15s
Ayr Boswell Under 15s
Ayr Thistle Under 15s
1. Peter Hinderley (GK)  
2. Jake Barbour  
3. Morgan Brown 
4. Andrew Murdoch
7. Marc Riddex  
8. Darius Graham
9. Scott McHallam  
10. Kyle Campbell
15. Calvin Kemp
16. Reagan Finnie (c)
17. Sean Campbell
5. Steven Fraser
6. Lyall McCann
11. Connor Strang
14. Daryl McLatchie
1. Cameron Taylor (GK)
2. Jefri-Jordan Harris
3. Mark Wilson
4. Ben Davidson
5. Daniel Clark
6. Stuart Robson
7. Jake Murray
8. Craig Mitchell
9. Lee McDonald (c)
10. Michael Harvey
11. Jordan Murphy
12. Stephen Poulter
14. Ryan Duffy
15. Craig Lynch
16. Keiran Oliver  
YFS Man of the Match: Darius Graham
YFS Man of the Match: Ben Davidson
Referee: Brian Robb
Last modified on Friday, 09 August 2013 02:56
Login to post comments