Home My YFS

St Aloysius College win the SISFA Cup

St Aloysius College 4

McLean 28, 40, Lamont 53, 59

George Watsons College 1

Brown 65
  • Wednesday, 04 April 2018
  • Falkirk Stadium
  • Under 18´s
  • Scottish Independent Schools Football Cup
St Aloysius College headed back down the M80 with the Scottish Independent School’s Football Cup after defeating George Watson’s College 4-1 at a rainy Falkirk Stadium.
Brian McLean and James Lamont grabbed themselves a double as the Glasgow side made the most of their chances in a hard fought win in this physical encounter.
George Watson’s College had their fair share of chances but the Edinburgh side failed to capitalise on them.
The final had a slow start as both sides tried their best to grab an early goal and dictate the play, but the first ten minute didn’t show anything conclusive with all the attacks coming to nothing.
The first chance of the game fell to George Watson’s in the 14th minute, a counter attack started by Max Bendle who subsequently played through Louis Miller on goal. The winger found himself one on one with the keeper but his shot ricocheted off the post.
After that early warning, St Aloysius seemed to jump into life and looked the most likely to score as the clock ticked over 22 minutes. Making the most of the space out wide, their early chances all come from crosses into the box from the wings. The build-up play was good but the crosses were easily defended.
It was St Aloysius who would eventually break the deadlock though on the 28th minute, Brian McLean scored straight from the restart after play was stopped due to an injury. He saw the keeper off his line and tried his luck from range, unleashing a shot from just outside the box. The keeper was rooted to the spot and was helpless as the ball flew into the net. A cracking finish from range to put the Glasgow side in front.
The goal seemed to have rejuvenated the Saints in their push for a second, but shortly after handbags between the players would stop the game which would sum up the intensity of this physical encounter.
On the 37th minute, Watson’s has the ball in the net, but the ref has already blew his whistle because of an apparent hand ball in the build up to the goal.
A matter of minutes later, St Aloysius doubles their lead with McLean grabbing another goal in the 40th minute. Saints were all over the Watson box, countless shots were blocked as the ball couldn’t find the net. Eventually, the ball was cut back to McLean who made no mistake and blasted the ball home to double the advantage.
The goal signalled the end of the first half, the Saints took their chances in the first half with Brian McLean netting both. But the score line was a fair reflection of the game as the saints looked the more dominant team.
However Watson’s had their share in opportunities,  Max Bendle had a great chance early on in the match to put his side 1-0 up but the woodwork denied him. Good end-to-end half of football. 
  • Half Time:
  • St Aloysius College
  • 2-0
  • George Watsons College
The second half got off to a great start with both sides playing some attacking football. An early chance for Watson’s as they got an early corner. The ball was sent in and was spilled by the 'keeper as he came collect it. Luckily for the Saints they managed to clear their lines and avoid and early scare. A great opportunity missed for Watson’s.
The game would be halted to another lengthy stoppage after a crunch challenge saw two players down injured. The challenge epitomised what type of game it was, a very physical encounter with both sides going at it to win the cup.
On the 53rd minute, St Aloysius got their third of the match, James Lamont got the goal as a result of some great football by the Saints, driving forward down the right wing, the ball was played into the box to Christopher Mullen who played the ball back for Lamont to calmly slot past the keeper and into the net. Clinical stuff from the Saints as it was their first real chance of the half.
Like the previous half, the goal had kick-started the Saints attack, they had a great chance minutes later, Peter Russell whipped in an inviting low cross into the box uncontested where it fell to Mullen. All he had to do is place the shot into the net, but the pace of the ball got the better of the striker as he blasted over.
St Aloysius were rewarded for their chances as Lamont found the net again to put his side 4-0 in the 59th minute. It was a lovely finish from a counter attack. The play switched from the left and the ball found its way to Lamont who saw the onrushing keeper but lifted the ball over him and into the net for his second of the game. Another composed finish from the winger.
With the game all but over, Watson’s found the net for what was a conciliation goal in the 65th minute, Dylan Brown found the net and got his team on the scoresheet by capitalising on one of their many chances. The Saints box was getting bombarded with crosses but every shot was blocked before the ball rolled out to Brown to blast into the net.
Despite the goal, it was St Aloysius who continued to have most of the possession and had a few half chances before the game came to a close. More notably, Kieran Cameron and Euan Kelly linked well to play the ball into the box. But the shot was under hit and it was a routine stop for the keeper.
As the game played out its last few minutes, Saints make some changes to run the clock down but neither side has had any clear cut chances with the game has being predominantly played in the middle of the park.
On the 80th minute, the ref blew his whistle and signalled the end of the game, a well-deserved win overall for St Aloysius who took their chances when it fell to them and played the better football throughout. George Watson’s had their chances but the Glasgow side were worthy winners.
  • Full Time:
  • St Aloysius College
  • 4-1
  • George Watsons College


St Aloysius College
George Watsons College
1. Patrick Norris
2. Kieran Cameron
3. Peter Russell
4. Nicholas McAllister
5. Christp[jer Stafford
6. Gian Luca Vezza
7. James Lamont
8. Aaron Savage
9. Christopher Mullen
10. Brian McLean
11. Enrico Jannetta
12. Aiden Melrose
14. Nathan Gallagher
15. Callum Ruddy
16. Euan Kelly
17. Kian McGurk
18. Nicholas O'Donnell
19. Ronan Ross
1. Andrew Treschman
2. Myles Campbell
3. Glen McKay
4. Ben Reilly
5. Michael Brown
6. Ben Marshall
7. Max Bendle
8. Jamie Richmond
9. Louis Miller
10. Rory McCrae
11. Ben Wilson
12. Euan Burgess
14. Liam Conlon
15. Christian Graham
16. Dylan Brown
17. Charles Din
18. Zain Ahmad
19. Flynn Andrew
Star Player
St Aloysius College
George Watsons College
James Lamont, looked a threat every time he was on the ball, was a menace down the wings and even bagged himself two goals.
Max Bendle, was unlucky not to score but done his best in trying to create chances for his team.
Magic Moment
St Aloysius College
George Watsons College
Brian McLean's first goal, quite simply for the finish. The keeper wasn't expecting him to shoot from that distance and was punished. To see the keeper off his line and to then finish like that highlighted the quality of the goal.
Max Bendle's early chance, he was very unlucky to see his shot hit the post and go wide, a couple of inches the other side of the post and it could've been a different game.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments