Home My YFS

Aberdeen win National Trophy with shoot-out win

North Of Scotland 3

Brown 6, Ewan 10, 49

Aberdeen City 3

Ritchie 18, McKenzie 51, Duncan 66
  • Aberdeen City win 4-3 on penalties
  • Thursday, 26 April 2018
  • Borough Briggs
  • Under 18´s
  • SSFA National Trophy

David Reid | YFS North Region Journalist
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

A Jason Ritchie penalty was enough for Aberdeen to collect the Under 18s National Trophy after a superb comeback against the North Of Scotland at Borough Briggs, Elgin.

It was a typical Scottish day with a mixture of sun, rain and cloud for the cup final between North Of Scotland and Aberdeen City Under 18s. Both teams served up a cracking game of football. North Of Scotland beat Fife 5-1 in the semi-finals whilst Aberdeen City won a local derby 1-0 against Aberdeenshire.

A host of players from each side are currently playing at a decent enough level in club football, North Of Scotland had the likes of Max Ewan who is currently playing regular Highland League football for Nairn County as well as a host of Ross County players and a couple of Elgin City players too. Aberdeen City had David Wilson who is playing for Elgin City as well as Hamish MacLeod who is playing for Cove Rangers FC in the Highland League.

North Of Scotland started the game more lively with Kieran Chalmers firing just over the bar and a half chance which was met by Jakub Biorka in the Aberdeen City goal. North nearly opened the scoring after three minutes when a ball came across the channel which was met by Gabirel Hastings which crashed off the crossbar and cleared to safety by the Aberdeen defence.

North opened the scoring after six minutes after a great ball came in from the left hand flank by Cameron Harper which was met by Jack Brown, who plays for Inverness Caledonian Thistle, who guided home a fine header past Jakub Biorka.

Darren Jarvie's side added to their tally four minutes later after another great ball came in from the left hand channel, with Max Ewan getting to the ball first with his head, placing the ball into the back of the net beyond Biorka.

Roddy McGregor then had a good opportunity to make it 3-0 North after Max Ewan cut the ball back to him, however the midfielders effort went just wide of the right hand post. North were well on top asking Aberdeen lots of questions during the opening exchanges of the game.

Aberdeen pulled a goal back in the 18th minute after a great ball was swung into the danger zone by Hamish McLeod and Banks O'Dee Albion defender Jason Ritchie was there a couple of yards from goal to tap the ball home. It was the first time that Aberdeen had really threatened in the game.

McLeod then had an effort of his own on 24 minutes with a free kick which went just wide of the left hand post. Aberdeen were being very patient in their build up play and looked threatening going forward.

MacLeod had another chance soon after with a solo effort which was saved by Lee Herbert in the North goal. The rest of the half was quite stale with North holding out for a 2-1 lead at the interval.

  • Half Time:
  • North Of Scotland
  • 2-1
  • Aberdeen City

North got a third goal four minutes after the interval after an initial effort was blocked. The ball fell into the path of Max Ewan who tapped home an effort which found it's way into the back of the net to restore their two goal advantage. North were finding their rhythm again.

Aberdeen reduced the deficit two minutes later with Calum McKenzie playing in Hamish McLeod who was free on goal after running past the North defence and the Aberdeen Grammar pupil tucked the ball into the bottom left hand corner.

North Of Scotland were reduced to 10 men on 55 minutes with Jack Brown sent for an early shower after a late challenge on Hamish McLeod, unfortunate for the North Of Scotland player who had been having a good game up to that point.

Aberdeen equalised after 66 minutes. A good ball was cut back in the box by Jason Ritchie and it found Bridge Of Don Academy player Liam Duncan whose deflected effort found it's way past Lee Herbert in the North goal. There was a lot to play for in the last 24 minutes of the game.

North almost retook the lead when a free kick came in from Roddy McGregor which was met by the head of Cheidu Ikeme however a good finger tip save from Biorka denied the Clachnacuddin forward from giving his association the lead.

A 35 yard strike from Hamish McLeod cannoned off the crossbar as both sides went in search for a winner. McLeod, when he had the ball, was a real menace for the North, not giving Aberdeen any time to settle at all.

North Of Scotland had a great chance to win the game with just two minutes to go with Max Ewan having a shot denied by Biorka with spectators believing the ball had ended up in the back of the net. Nothing could seperate the sides during a pulsating 90 minutes of football so the Senior Trophy final went to penalties.

  • Full Time:
  • North Of Scotland
  • 3-3
  • Aberdeen City
North Of Scotland and Aberdeen netted their opening two penalties before Roddy McGregor and Hamish McLeod missed penalties. Cameron Harper had a spot kick saved before Jason Ritchie dispatched a penalty down the middle to win the National Trophy for Aberdeen.

Final Result: Aberdeen City win 4-3 on penalties


North Of Scotland
Aberdeen City
1. Lee Herbert
2. Gabriel Hastings
3. Cameron Harper
4. Jack Brown
5. Brandon Sinclair
6. Ashley Ballam
7. Harry Nicolson
8. Kieran Chalmers
9. Max Ewan
10. Roddy McGregor
11. Roddy Kennedy
12. Gregor McDonald
13. Lucas Davidson
14. Cheidu Ikeme
15. Moray Taylor
16. Ross Gunn
17. Murray Bushell
1. Jakub Biorka
2. Marcel Czurylo
3. Liam Duncan
5. Andy Watt
6. Jason Ritchie
8. Reigan Thomson
10. Hamish McLeod
12. Calum McKenzie
15. James Connelly
17. Matthew Cumming
19. Ewan Turner
Star Player
North Of Scotland
Aberdeen City
Max Ewan - Max played very well and a few goals as well
Hamish MacLeod - A constant threat for his side and deserved to be on the winning side.
Magic Moment
North Of Scotland
Aberdeen City
The second goal which was a fine move and a good header by Max Ewan.
Jason Ritchies penalty to win the Under 18s national trophy for Aberdeen City.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments