Home My YFS

Coylton edge out Dean Thistle for cup double success

Dean Thistle FC 1

Clark 3

Coylton FC 2

Berry 9, Meiklem 24
  • Saturday, 20 May 2017
  • Dam Park, Ayr
  • Under 13´s
  • Charles Hoggit Memorial Trophy

Coylton celebrated a cup double after a narrow victory against their Kilmarnock competitors, Dean Thistle, in a tight affair on a cold and damp morning at Dam Park.

The under 13’s West of Scotland league champions held on for a 2-1 win which saw them crowned winners of the Charles Hoggit Memorial Trophy.

Two weeks since their last triumph, Coylton lined up with the same team that defeated Caledonian FC 5-2 in the Presidents Cup final, in the hope that their previous success would stand them in good stead to beat Dean Thistle.

However, Thistle had no intentions of just turning up to make up the numbers. With only three minutes on the clock, persistent striker Lauchlin Clark lifted the ball over the onrushing Liam Gray in the Coylton goal to give his team a dream start. Left winger Daniel Mitchell lofted the ball over the top and Clark pounced to give Dean Thistle the early ascendency.

Six minutes later though, Coylton’s pressure for an equaliser paid off. A poor defensive clearance at the back from Thistle meant that left back Rhys Berry was allowed too much room inside the box and he forcefully took advantage of the error by slamming the ball into the top right corner.

Dean Thistle looked shaken by the swing in momentum of the game as Coylton continued to press high up the park and they almost took the lead on a couple of occasions.

Firstly, Jack Marks’ floated, in-swinging corner almost went straight in at the back post as the strong wind changed the flight path of the ball to cause what would have been a massive fluke.

Shortly after, perhaps a bit unluckily, Ross Smith looked to have scuffed his shot which went just over the bar thanks to some decent wing play from pacey winger Cammy McMillan who cut the ball back to him from the right hand side. Had smith got a cleaner connection on the shot Coylton could have been in the lead.

Inevitably due to all the pressure they were putting on though, Coylton scored what proved to be the winner. A calamitous mix up between defender and goalkeeper Lewis Ferguson allowed prolific forward Robbie Meiklem to latch onto the ball first and prod it underneath Ferguson to reward the league champions for their determination.

The remainder of the first half became a bit scrappy with a lot of long balls being played and next to no clear-cut chances.

The closest any team came to scoring before the referee blew for half-time was a Dean Thistle free kick 20 yards out, but number seven Kyle Bryden fired over.


  • Half Time:
  • Dean Thistle FC
  • 1-2
  • Coylton FC

Dean Thistle had to come out and attack after the break to get back into the tie and that’s exactly what they did. Clark’s ball into the box from a corner was met by the unmarked Kyle Connell, but his header went fractionally over the bar in what would’ve been the perfect start to the second half for Thistle.

Marks’ was then booked for a cynical foul on the halfway line - however from the resultant free kick, Thistle missed another chance to equalise when on this occasion Mitchell forced a low save from Gray.

Despite Thistle missing these glorious opportunities, they could count themselves lucky not to be further behind after 45 minutes. A free kick was whipped into the box which Dylan Conkie managed to head back across the face of goal, only for Ross Murrey to blast over the bar from six yards out.

Thistle were next to create an opening as Connell worked his way to the by-line on the far side before cutting the ball back with a low cross to Nathan Harvey whose first time shot hit the side net. Teammate Lauchlin Clark was next to try his luck, but Gray beat him in a one on one race for the ball with a brilliant challenge, acting as a sweeper keeper to perhaps secure Coylton’s victory.

The last chance of the goalless second half fell to Meiklem- who was superb all morning at holding the ball up and bringing others into play. He played a neat one-two with Adam Collins who set the striker up for a shot at goal, but his effort was saved by Ferguson.

As the referee called time on the final, the Thistle players put their head in their hands after huffing and puffing all half to break down the resolute Coylton defence. The champions, in the end, did just enough to consign Dean Thistle to defeat- but on another day the boys in blue and red could well have tasted cup glory.

  • Full Time:
  • Dean Thistle FC
  • 1-2
  • Coylton FC


Dean Thistle FC
Coylton FC
1.Lewis Ferguson
2.Blair Fulton
3.Ryan Cavens
4.Liam Davies
5.Thomas Gavin
6.Kyle Connell
7.Kyle Bryden
8.Daniel Mitchell
9.Lauchlin Clark
10.Nathan Harvey
11.Alexander Leslie
12.David Gordon
14.Finlay Campbell
15.Scott Campbell
16.Ryan Tonner
17.Aaron Griffiths
21.Liam Gray
2.Kenneth Milligan
3.Ross Smith
4.Ross Murrey
5.Daniel Hannah
6.Cameron McMillan
7.Cameron White
9.Jack Marks
10.Robbie Blane
11.Rhys Berry
14.Robbie Meiklem
17.Finlay Paton
18.Dylan Conkie
19.Adam Collins
Star Player
Dean Thistle FC
Coylton FC
Ryan Cavens at centre half for Thistle was a standout performer and was a rock in defence for his side. Made several crucial blocks and clearances to keep the potent Coylton attack fairly quiet.
The winners had a couple of contenders for man of the match, however, based on his hold-up play and ability to link different players in every attack, Robbie Meiklem was Coylton’s star player.
Magic Moment
Dean Thistle FC
Coylton FC
With only three minutes gone, Lauchlin Clark could not have given his team a better start. His instinctive finish gave Dean Thistle real hope of a cup triumph.
Goalkeeper Lewis Gray made a fantastic challenge to deny Clark what would have been an open net to score had he got round him- a match saving moment.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments