Home My YFS

Aberdeen reach SFA Youth Cup fourth round in penalty thriller

Aberdeen FC 1

Anderson 85

Hamilton Academical Fc 1

Ferguson 22
  • Aberdeen FC 1-1 Hamilton Accies (AET, Aberdeen win 4-3 on penalties)
  • Sunday, 06 November 2016
  • Pittodrie Stadium
  • Under 20´s
  • SFA Youth Cup - R3

Claire Gulline | YFS Aberdeen Senior Reporter
Author's Bio | Articles by Author | [email protected]

The third round tie of the SFA Youth Cup between Aberdeen FC and Hamilton Academical FC proved to be a thrilling encounter. With the score tied at 1-1 after extra-time, Lewis Ferguson having scored for Hamilton in the first half and Bruce Anderson scoring for Aberdeen in the second, the home side secured their place in the next round, winning 4-3 on penalties.
Hamilton enjoyed early possession and had the first real chances of the game. Shaun Want put the ball into the box from the halfway line for Ryan Tierney to run onto but Aberdeen goalkeeper, David Craddock got there first.
The home side looked for a response but Hamilton made it difficult, keeping the Reds pinned in their own half whenever they had possession and their first chance came to nothing when Chris Antoniazzi put the ball too far across for Joe Nuttall to run onto.
Accies continued to threaten and Tierney weaved his way into the box before offloading to Jack Breslin but his shot was cleared by Craddock. Hamilton were awarded a corner but Aberdeen held their defence to clear the ball after Ronan Hughes saw it into the box.
The visitors’ dominance looked to have paid off in the sixteenth minute when some interplay from Breslin and Lewis Ferguson saw the latter shooting from the edge of the box but Craddock made the crucial save to prevent the visitors from scoring.
Aberdeen had to get a foothold in the game and a team movement saw them press forward. Aaron Norris broke down the right wing and he passed the ball inside for Connor McLennan but his lay-off was just too wide for Nuttall. The Reds continued to exert pressure and Sam Robertson shot from thirty yards but it went over the crossbar.
Hamilton had dominated the early play and they took their chance in the twenty-second minute. Lewis Smith drove down the wing and crossed to Ferguson who shot from outside the box, sending it past Craddock to open the scoring.
End to end play ensued but Hamilton also had the next chance. Marc Kelly laid the ball back for Ferguson who shot from twenty-five yards but it was pushed wide by Craddock.
Accies kept Aberdeen pinned in their own half and a promising break from Nuttall came to nothing when Hamilton held their defence and counterattacked, with the Reds quickly having to rally their own defence, with Sam Roscoe closing down Tierney to deny the visitors another chance to score.
Aberdeen had a number of attacks pulled back after they were judged to have been offside, and Dylan Thomas sent the ball through for the last chance of the half but Hamilton cleared.
  • Half Time:
  • Aberdeen FC
  • 0-1
  • Hamilton Academical Fc
The home side appeared fired up as play got underway in the second half and were soon on the attack. Antoniazzi made a fantastic pass to David Dangana, who had replace Nuttall before the break, but his shot was just wide. However the applause of the fans indicated that this was what they wanted to see.
Hamilton pressed forward and Ferguson drove forward. He shot from thirty yards but sent it wide. 
In the fifty-fourth minute, Aberdeen looked set to equalise when Frank Ross broke through the defence and chipped the ball into the box for Dangana. He tried to jink the Hamilton goalkeeper but Alan Marshall read the play well and cleared. The reds continued to press with Dangana and Ross linking well but Ross’s shot from the edge of the box was cleared by Jordan McGregor.
The visitors were looking for chances through Jamie Boyd, Tierney and Kelly who drove up field. Tierney shot from inside the box but Thomas cleared. Hamilton were awarded a corner and Hughes sent the ball into the box. Tierney struck the ball at close range but it was smothered by Craddock.
Aberdeen threatened again and Norris put the ball through for Bruce Anderson. He linked with Robertson but neither player could find the opening they were looking for, as Hamilton held their defence. McLennan then shot from twenty-five yards but Mashall kept the ball out. 
Ferguson and Smith then linked for the visitors to drive forward and Ferguson shot from thirty yards but Craddock caught the ball.
The eighty-fifth minute saw Aberdeen scoring the equaliser that they had threatened since the start of the second half. Toby Wells put the ball into space for Anderson who made a blistering run down the wing before driving the ball into the box and slipping it past Marshall to draw the score level.
End to end play ensued with both teams looking to settle the game without extra-time. Hamilton were awarded a free kick at thirty yards and Hughes sent the ball into the box but Tierney headed it over the crossbar.
  • Full Time:
  • Aberdeen FC
  • 1-1
  • Hamilton Academical Fc
As extra-time got underway, the match was tighter than ever. Aberdeen posed an early threat and earned a corner. Ross crossed the ball into the box but it was headed over by Robertson.

Hamilton were awarded a free kick at thirty-five yards and wide to the right. Hughes put the ball into the box but Want’s touch sent the ball just wide.

Wells put the ball through for Dangana but Ferguson headed it clear. Anderson followed on but his shot went over the crossbar.

With the change of ends, Anderson looked to threaten again but was brought down outside the box by Want, who was shown a red card after receiving a second yellow for the challenge. Thomas stepped up for the free kick but it went wide.

Down to ten men, Accies kept their heads up and Hughes showed impressive footwork before putting the ball out wide to Ben Reilly who drove into the box but his shot was cleared by Roscoe. Both teams continued to look for chances but with both teams holding well defensively, extra time ended with the game still in deadlock.

The visitors took the first penalty and Kelly sent the ball to the lower left corner but Craddock pushed it wide.

Ross stepped up for Aberdeen and took full advantage of his teammate’s save, sending the ball into the upper right corner beyond the reach of Marshall.

The pressure was now on for Accies and Tierney wasted no time, sending the ball into the upper right corner of the net.

Kesi Omolokun was next up for the Reds and his ball to the left was pushed wide by Marshall to level the score.

Hughes made the most of the opportunity for his team, sending the ball straight under Craddock to give his side the lead in the penalty shootout for the first time.

Anderson wasted no time in levelling once more, putting the ball into the lower right corner.

Ferguson sent Craddock the wrong way as he stepped up, putting the ball into the lower right corner as the keeper dived left.

Dangana was next up for the Reds and he also put the ball into the lower right corner, sending Marshall the wrong way. Hamilton sent Breslin up next. His shot to the right had the accuracy but Craddock pushed the ball wide to hand his side the chance for victory.

The lot fell to McLennan who sent the ball to the right and into the back of the net, securing his side’s place in the fourth round.

Final Result: Aberdeen FC 1-1 Hamilton Accies (AET, Aberdeen win 4-3 on penalties)


Aberdeen FC
Hamilton Academical Fc
1. David Craddock
2. Sam Robertson
3. Toby Wells
4. Dylan Thomas
5. Sam Roscoe
6. Joe MacPherson
7. Chris Antoniazzi
8. Connor McLennan
9. Joe Nuttall
10. Frank Ross
11. Aaron Norris
12. Bruce Anderson
14. David Dangana
15. Kesi Omolokun
16. Lewis Hutchison
17. Dean Campbell
18. Terry Taylor
20. Archie Mair
1. Alex Marshall
2. Jamie Boyd
3. Rico Quitongo
4. Shaun Want
5. Jordan McGregor
6. Jack Breslin
7. Lewis Ferguson
8. Lewis Smith
9. Ryan Tierney
10. Ronan Hughes
11. Marc Kelly
12. Daniel O'Halloran
14. Ben Reilly
15. Taylor Wilson
16. Stefan Connelly
17. Callum Sheridan
18. Dylan Henry
19. Ross Connelly
Star Player
Aberdeen FC
Hamilton Academical Fc
David Craddock was on great form throughout the game and made crucial saves for his side, especially when it came down to penalties.
Lewis Ferguson was a prominent figure in attack for Hamilton, creating a number of chances and was well rewarded with his goal.
Magic Moment
Aberdeen FC
Hamilton Academical Fc
McLennan's spot kick ended an epic contest.
Ferguson's well taken early goal looked to have sent Accies on their way.
  • Match report and photos copyright Youth Football Scotland.
Login to post comments